U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:23 PM

27,327 posts, read 21,012,224 times
Reps to gigi and super.

Dogs are FAMILY to many people.
Mine are not my children. My son is my child.
But that makes them no less family...like do you love your brother more than your mom...or just differently, with the same HUGE feelings of bonding and attachment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 01:11 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,187,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Reps to gigi and super.

Dogs are FAMILY to many people.
Mine are not my children. My son is my child.
But that makes them no less family...like do you love your brother more than your mom...or just differently, with the same HUGE feelings of bonding and attachment.
We have covered this very recently and I'm surprised that Pacific Flights hasn't chimed in yet.

For the record, my dogs are everything to me. Try and take them away and there will be blood!

However, LEGALLY dogs are property. I asked the poster if he had any documents that show him as the owner and he never came back with an answer. Without proof of ownership or even joint ownership he has NO CHANCE of winning - none - zero in a court of law. Telling him he should go ahead and sue is irresponsible. This is not a suit for custody. It is a suit for ownership. All the cards are stacked against him. Unless he has proof of ownership.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:02 PM

804 posts, read 965,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
We have covered this very recently and I'm surprised that Pacific Flights hasn't chimed in yet.

For the record, my dogs are everything to me. Try and take them away and there will be blood!

However, LEGALLY dogs are property. I asked the poster if he had any documents that show him as the owner and he never came back with an answer. Without proof of ownership or even joint ownership he has NO CHANCE of winning - none - zero in a court of law. Telling him he should go ahead and sue is irresponsible. This is not a suit for custody. It is a suit for ownership. All the cards are stacked against him. Unless he has proof of ownership.
Absolutely agree. When the OP asked the question my answer was based on the legality of the situation. It's hard to leave out the emotional aspect but, imo, I would be remiss and hurtful in encouraging looking at it any way but logically and legally.

The truth hurts A LOT, especially when it comes to our furbabies. But they are considered property in the eyes of the law. Until such time as the law (may) change, giving false hope is, to me, cruel.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM

The law changes based on cases and precedents.

I was not saying it was a custody issue. Just taking issue with the 'it's just a dog' people.

I would fight.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:22 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,061,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I hate to say this, but it's just a dog.
Exactly. It's time to let the b**** and the other b**** go.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 PM

13,184 posts, read 9,213,749 times
Quote:

Several people have asked him and I was hoping he would respond. If someone is talking about getting an attorney as he is, they have to have a legal claim. Otherwise they could just as well take the case to their next door neighbor or cousin for all that matters.

Again he cannot "sue for ownership" as he puts it unless he can prove he owns the dog. Pets are considered property under the eyes of the law, that's how I got my cats in my divorce decree. I had proof the cats were given to me and me alone even though I was married at the time. I am glad Illinois did not have community property.

Rather than an attorney, maybe the OP should go to an arbitrator. That way he and his ex could work out a deal. In any case, in light of the fact that people love to give legal advice based on what they think and not what they know, the OP should be contacting an attorney to answer his questions and not a message board.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Legally, this is not black and white.

Ex suing for dog!! PLEASE READ DETAILS? - Yahoo! Answers

Manhattan Man Suing for Custody of

I'm Taking The Dog!!! | Chicago's Real Law Blog

http://www.petside.com/article/fur-o...ustody-battles

Judge orders shared dog custody

Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,981,692 times
People, earlier in this thread, myself and one or two others advised the owner as to what papers he would need to get his hands on in order to show he in some manner owned the dog, via specific papers that were covered in detail for the original poster. There are ways to show the dog is his. So, that's not an automatic lost cause. I'd repeat them, but all it takes is reading the thread.

Charles22, I call you by name because no sooner do I say it hurts when someone disrespects a dog, than you come in with your unnecessary meany filthy comment.

I remember one time when husband and I first adopted our four-month-old pup, he lived 14 years in our home with us. Well, we were discussing what we would do if someone were to try to take our dog and hurt him (he was a beautiful animal, so fear of stealing), and husband said we'd have to turn ourselves in down at the police station, to prevent us from killing anybody. And years ago, in the Wild West, if someone stole your horse, you could shoot them. Of course, part was it was how people got around in those days, but love of the animal was the other part, kind of like Grand Theft Auto with love attached to it equaled death.

WHERE IS OUR ORIGINAL POSTER? You've got some folks here who are pretty fired up and want to know what is going on!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM

5,983 posts, read 7,707,970 times
dont feed the trolls...

Old 04-12-2012, 01:02 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,264,583 times
Quote:
Well, since YOU are asking for my opinion and comments, who am I to deny you my insights

First this whole subject is dumb. Second, a whole lot of make belive has been inserted and has nothing to dio with what the OP wrote, Third people are mish mashing the OP and other comments from other posters together and coming up with some scenerios that isn't what was being discussed and start responding as if that was the subject and basically, a whole lot of nothing is being said base on garabge.

The OP has little if any personal claim to the dog. The only ownership issue is that they both adopted it TOGETHER from a friend of hers. That means each would be considered the owner. But when the OP allowed her to have and hold custody of the dog, with him having some visitation rights, basically custody (aka ownership) is hers with him having some visisting understanding, but not ownership. Sorry bub, you blew it by not having ownership resolved before you gave her custody.

Sueing for back anything!!!! What looony tunes world do people live in??????

Your dog is property in most states and unless you can establish some emotional bond, your basically fighting over the toaster. How about she keeps the dog and gives you the dining room table, will that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs