U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-10-2012, 01:37 PM

10,443 posts, read 10,197,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I had no idea. Thank you for clarifying that. Mr. Rawlinson definitely deserves all the credit.
You are welcome. I knew I had read it before. Googling the last line and "author" took me to his site.

It has been posted in so many places without attribution there was no way for you to know. Perhaps you could ask your FB friend to acknowledge Mr. Rawlinson, too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,852,539 times
Quote:
I know, Cat.

Actually, I think it was around *that* time when my friend posted it on his FB page. I think that's probably why I didn't share it on mine -- I didn't want you to see it then.
Thanks D - its hard enough to read it now. They are all important points and I hope that it will help someone to do the right thing for their dogs.

Thanks again for posting it

Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM

2,484 posts, read 3,676,132 times
Brings tears to my eyes. I have a Newfie that is 12 years old this past March. He is doing well- but slowly his hearing and sight is going. His hips are ok, slow to get up. But, I fear the days ahead but I am always here for him.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:24 PM

26,478 posts, read 17,826,841 times
I'm so frustrated. I have a family member who constantly posts pictures and comments about her 17 y.o. blind, deaf, crippled dog and how close to death he is. This has been going on for months. I posted the list on my FB page and she responds with "Thanks for this wonderful list. I promise him I will be right by his side when he passes and I won't abandon him."

Why won't she do what she knows she needs to do? Is it for the pity she is getting from family and friends? I have brought this up on this forum before but I have to repeat it--If we can help our beloved pets pass from a painful, joyless state, we need to be brave and take the necessary steps to make it happen. Anything else is cruel.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 PM

12,485 posts, read 12,713,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm so frustrated. I have a family member who constantly posts pictures and comments about her 17 y.o. blind, deaf, crippled dog and how close to death he is. This has been going on for months. I posted the list on my FB page and she responds with "Thanks for this wonderful list. I promise him I will be right by his side when he passes and I won't abandon him."

Why won't she do what she knows she needs to do? Is it for the pity she is getting from family and friends? I have brought this up on this forum before but I have to repeat it--If we can help our beloved pets pass from a painful, joyless state, we need to be brave and take the necessary steps to make it happen. Anything else is cruel.
I remember you talking about this friend before!

You're right. It's our most painful, most difficult duty as pet parents, making this awful decision on our pet's behalf. Keeping that dog in pain for whatever reason your friend is using to justify it is deplorable and abusive.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Quote:
I remember you talking about this friend before!

You're right. It's our most painful, most difficult duty as pet parents, making this awful decision on our pet's behalf. Keeping that dog in pain for whatever reason your friend is using to justify it is deplorable and abusive.
I understand this but sometimes its not a black and white issue. Gator is now 14 1/2. He needs help most of the time getting up and is on 24 hour pain meds for his arthritis. He can't climb stairs anymore and I have to lift his 70 lbs in and out of the van for vet visits. If he needs help, I give it. His hearing has either gotten very selective or is diminished. He occasionally doesn't get to the yard fast enough and I have to clean up after him. By some people's measure, he would not have quality of life and that I should have had him euthanized by now. I have family members that have said that to me.

Why haven't I?

Because of the way he looks at me. There is a lot of love in those eyes and he is still engaged in living his life. He still seeks affection and gives it without hesitation. He has a lot of things that I now need to help him with, but I have no problem doing that for him. The main reason though is that he hasn't told me yet that its time, that HE is ready to go. Until then, I will do everything I can for him and to hell with what anyone else says or thinks. When he is ready, I WILL let him go. It will be with a lot of tears but he's the captain on this particular journey. He decides when his ship sails - not me. I don't know your family member and I don't know the dog. I don't know if any of my situation rings true with hers or not.

All I'm saying is that it could be that the dog isn't ready yet and the owner recognized that.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I understand this but sometimes its not a black and white issue. Gator is now 14 1/2. He needs help most of the time getting up and is on 24 hour pain meds for his arthritis. He can't climb stairs anymore and I have to lift his 70 lbs in and out of the van for vet visits. If he needs help, I give it. His hearing has either gotten very selective or is diminished. He occasionally doesn't get to the yard fast enough and I have to clean up after him. By some people's measure, he would not have quality of life and that I should have had him euthanized by now. I have family members that have said that to me.

Why haven't I?

Because of the way he looks at me. There is a lot of love in those eyes and he is still engaged in living his life. He still seeks affection and gives it without hesitation. He has a lot of things that I now need to help him with, but I have no problem doing that for him. The main reason though is that he hasn't told me yet that its time, that HE is ready to go. Until then, I will do everything I can for him and to hell with what anyone else says or thinks. When he is ready, I WILL let him go. It will be with a lot of tears but he's the captain on this particular journey. He decides when his ship sails - not me. I don't know your family member and I don't know the dog. I don't know if any of my situation rings true with hers or not.

All I'm saying is that it could be that the dog isn't ready yet and the owner recognized that.
You're right. The word "crippled" did me in, though. I seem to remember something to the effect of that the dog could not move at all. Am I remembering that correctly, no kudzo?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
You're right. The word "crippled" did me in, though. I seem to remember something to the effect of that the dog could not move at all. Am I remembering that correctly, no kudzo?
You are right too. It could be that I'm personalizing a situation that is not at all similar. I've just recently had a family member tell me that I should have Gator put down because of "how much money its costing you and how much trouble it is to care for him"

Old 04-10-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
You are right too. It could be that I'm personalizing a situation that is not at all similar. I've just recently had a family member tell me that I should have Gator put down because of "how much money its costing you and how much trouble it is to care for him"
OK, money and trouble are NOT reasons -- I totally agree with you on that.

And if you are personalizing it, I can understand that, coming on the heels of the decision that you had to make recently. I've never had to make that decision -- I only had dogs when I was a kid... until I got Artie -- and my guess is that I'm going to need your help when the time comes, to help me decide when it's time. Because, for me in regards to Artie -- and for you in regards to your dogs -- it's NEVER time.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
OK, money and trouble are NOT reasons -- I totally agree with you on that.

And if you are personalizing it, I can understand that, coming on the heels of the decision that you had to make recently. I've never had to make that decision -- I only had dogs when I was a kid... until I got Artie -- and my guess is that I'm going to need your help when the time comes, to help me decide when it's time. Because, for me in regards to Artie -- and for you in regards to your dogs -- it's NEVER time.
Thanks D. I'll help you in any way I can - even fly up there if needed. I will tell you its the hardest decision and the most painful one you will ever make in your life. No matter how many dogs you have - it never gets easier.

At the same time, you will know when its time. With the connection you have with Artie, I have no doubt he will tell you loud & clear if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs