U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,176,621 times
So, so sorry. Sending you virtual hugs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,194,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
He left softly and with dignity and looked at peace...very hard day...we miss him so already, but his suffering has ended...we had 16 years of fun, laughter and adventures with our buddy...too, too swiftly it passed...
I'm so sorry for your loss. I have no doubt that you did the right thing in letting him go with peace and dignity. My thoughts are with you. Hugz from me and mine to you and yours.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:56 AM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 7 days ago)

22,780 posts, read 14,363,430 times
Little Dolphin- I feel your pain. Take some comfort in knowing you gave this beautiful creature a whole life of devotion, just as he gave it to you.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 AM

12,579 posts, read 11,025,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thank you each so much..it's warming to be among simpatico animal lovers during this very difficult time...we were just talking about the last time Regal greeted us at the door with a happy wag to see us home--it's been well over a year...once he went deaf, much of his tail-wagging ceased..and after becoming totally blind, he became kind of depressed...but always, always, he had a great nose for meals and treats...that never stopped, even tonight with him being so frail and hardly able to walk...he's quite the chow hound...right now he's down to his nose and his appetite...
I am so so sorry. We're facing that to, I rescued an older dog, he was already deaf and going blind...however, I try to keep him occupied, and we go for at least 6 walks a day...(I can't do long walks) and he must be on a leash...therefore, it really helps to have cuddle and sofa time. He was badly abused, and doesn't know how to play, but when he is really really happy, he'll run around the little dining room table, then around the big one, a few times...so, I know we'll soon be facing what you are facing now, but I wanted to adopt an older dog...they seem to be more calmed down, and patient...he is incredible...so willing to please...so, my heart goes out to you, but keep in mind, he had an incredible home while he was here....and gave you so many fond memories...life is a gift...and some how, when we loose certain senses, we adapt...mine to, has an incredible nose....sending big hugs...creme

Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM

5,808 posts, read 4,414,536 times
LittleDolphin, I'm very sorry. I wish they could live as long as us too. They do live in our hearts forever.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 AM

3,760 posts, read 4,897,270 times
Thanks, everyone..it's better today...maybe getting a full night's sleep helped! Having our dog go into full-blown dementia after his surgery 3 weeks ago meant the dog we knew had already gone. Regal, post-operation, was agitated, unresponsive to us, not interested in drinking water, forgot his house-breaking and got lost behind furniture, in corners and knocked over lamps and upset his water dish 2-3 times a day. His mind was gone. The dog we'd known was gone. He didn't even want to be petted.

Are we regretting the surgery? No, because he was in pain from the badly ulcerated eye and we couldn't let him suffer like that..so we acted to remove the cause of his pain..we acted out of love, knowing the outcome might be bad, given his age...we just didn't expect him to do well with the surgery, physically, but to lose his mental capabilities.

But in doing some research this morning, I found that anestheisa and the elderly dog can, indeed, have this outcome. Kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't...I'm trying not to play Monday morning quarterback and wonder if we made the right decision to have the operation...that doesn't help, does it?

I'm just honoring his memory and thinking of him in his younger days of vibrant good health and the adventures we had together...

One thing, though, his spirit is gone from the house...with the death of my cat, Wolfe, who lived to be 21, her spirit lingered on..I could feel her presence for quite some time...

With Regal--he's gone. I think he was ready to be set free from his confusion...

Old 04-12-2012, 02:42 PM

14,334 posts, read 14,731,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
OK, money and trouble are NOT reasons -- I totally agree with you on that.

And if you are personalizing it, I can understand that, coming on the heels of the decision that you had to make recently. I've never had to make that decision -- I only had dogs when I was a kid... until I got Artie -- and my guess is that I'm going to need your help when the time comes, to help me decide when it's time. Because, for me in regards to Artie -- and for you in regards to your dogs -- it's NEVER time.
Nice thoughts and love for dogs is unconditional.

My dog Sunny lived to be 13...he had very bad hip dysplasia and pain. My ex kept telling me he needed to be put out of pain (That dog was my child ).

It is the worst feeling when you cant cure your dogs medical issues. But if you imagine the pain the dog must feel every day, then you realize. A good vet will "suggest" what you should do, but not critique you personally.

All dogs should live longer. They are beloved family members, the same as a child.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:00 PM

12,136 posts, read 11,072,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Nice thoughts and love for dogs is unconditional.

My dog Sunny lived to be 13...he had very bad hip dysplasia and pain. My ex kept telling me he needed to be put out of pain (That dog was my child ).

It is the worst feeling when you cant cure your dogs medical issues. But if you imagine the pain the dog must feel every day, then you realize. A good vet will "suggest" what you should do, but not critique you personally.

All dogs should live longer. They are beloved family members, the same as a child.
I totally agree.

My biggest fear is not being able to read Artie's signals; not knowing when it's time because I don't *want* it to be time. Thankfully, I have all of you to help with that... and Va-Cat will fly here and hold my hand if I need her.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,194,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I totally agree.

My biggest fear is not being able to read Artie's signals; not knowing when it's time because I don't *want* it to be time. Thankfully, I have all of you to help with that... and Va-Cat will fly here and hold my hand if I need her.
Yup - and you should know me well enough by now to know that I WILL really get on a plane and its not just a gesture.

I also know that you read Artie just like a book. When and if that time comes, I don't doubt that you will be able to read him then too. Its really hard to explain but its not so much anything you see as much as something you will feel. Its a sensation that you get off of them that they are ready to go. In words it would be "I'm ready now". In "dog-speak" it can be 1,000 different things but it will be something that you recognize and understand.

Please...don't dwell on this D. You and your little man have lots of memories to make yet! Lot and lots of happy times!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:24 PM

12,136 posts, read 11,072,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Yup - and you should know me well enough by now to know that I WILL really get on a plane and its not just a gesture.

I also know that you read Artie just like a book. When and if that time comes, I don't doubt that you will be able to read him then too. Its really hard to explain but its not so much anything you see as much as something you will feel. Its a sensation that you get off of them that they are ready to go. In words it would be "I'm ready now". In "dog-speak" it can be 1,000 different things but it will be something that you recognize and understand.

Please...don't dwell on this D. You and your little man have lots of memories to make yet! Lot and lots of happy times!
I absolutely know you well enough to know it's not just blah blah blah.

I think you're right: that I'll know and that, being that he's only 8 and a half, I shouldn't dwell on it.

xoxo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs