U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-13-2012, 07:49 AM

802 posts, read 1,936,307 times
Default "proper order"

is there a "Proper" time to wait between a bath and the application of flea drops? I remember the groomer telling me to wait a couple of days when I had Charlie bathed and clipped when I first got him.

I use a moisturizing shampoo, its not strong and stripping. I am headed on vacation and wanted to bath him the night before we leave, then put his Advantage Multi on the morning we leave. He's going with me and its about a 3 hour drive, so I thought it would have time to get into his system while we're in the car.

any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 AM

8,057 posts, read 16,076,636 times
Bathe 1st when dog is dry apply flea proventive. That way You sure your not removing the proventive!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 AM

7,647 posts, read 8,408,866 times
i used to bathe my dogs on teh day they were scheduled for their flea preventative..... would wait until they were good and dry and apply....

BUT.... i have since learned that it is best to wait a couple of days after a bath to apply the flea preventative.... apparently the oils in the dog's skin help it distribute over their body better.....

fwiw.... i have never had a problem with fleas, even when i was applying the preventative on bath day.......

Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 PM

6,027 posts, read 8,225,052 times
officially as long as the dog is COMPLETLY dry it should be fine, perosnally i wait 24 hours. (ill bath early one morning and fleas drops the morning. gives the oils a chance to build back up and those oils are what helps spread the topicals over the body.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,729,088 times
A trick is to bath the dog, dray it completely and applyt he treatment. Usually about 12 hours after application, if you give the dog a real good rubdown, that will stimulate the treatement laden oils to increase and be spread over the body to fill in for the oils washed away during the bath. basically your speaeding up the natural distribution with the rubdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs