U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 AM

809 posts, read 1,916,192 times

Advertisements

In the past, when I owned a home, I took in plenty of dogs that needed long term boarding into my house. Most times at no cost except food and any veterinary care that may come up, sometimes at low cost.

I also was asked to pull several dogs out of boarding facilities by the owners as they were not thriving, extremely stressed. They all did great and just became part of the zoo.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer in that position but it's my opinion, based on extensive experience, if you trust the person to take care of your dog long term DO IT!

Believe me, your dog will not forget you, no matter long how long you're gone. If you've been a loving parent they will have no problem leaving the foster family and going back home, without even so much as a look back.

Best of luck.

Second Right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,643,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Why on earth would they have to do that?

I dont get what part of moving requires boarding your dog.

You pack and load boxes into a van. They lay there and watch or take a snooze. When you're ready to take a break from all that, they are there patiently awaiting their walk or frisbee.
You do really need to re-read the original post. The move involves many weeks of travel between the two locations. During that time, the dog needs to either be in a boarding kennel or at the sister's home. IT IS NOT A SINGLE MOVE. Hands down the sister's home is the best option. The pup knows her, its a home environment so its healthier and the pup will not be shuffled back and forth to a kennel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Did you read the original post???? It stated it there clearly! She'd have to travel weekly for two months AND PUT THE DOG IN A KENNEL.

It's not like I made up that part.
^^^ what she said. Need the rep fairy to recharge my wand........

Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,299,532 times
Quote:
Did you read the original post???? It stated it there clearly! She'd have to travel weekly for two months AND PUT THE DOG IN A KENNEL.

It's not like I made up that part.
Uh YEAH. I read that.

I still don't get why they would have to put the dog in a kennel.

Maybe the OP can clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
You do really need to re-read the original post. The move involves many weeks of travel between the two locations. During that time, the dog needs to either be in a boarding kennel or at the sister's home. IT IS NOT A SINGLE MOVE. Hands down the sister's home is the best option. The pup knows her, its a home environment so its healthier and the pup will not be shuffled back and forth to a kennel.
What is the OP doing? Taking her house apart board-by-board and putting it back together again in a new location?
The OP doesn't say why the dog has to be boarded. I know of no reason to board a dog ever except if you're traveling by plane or going away for a long time to a foreign country. Dogs are more adaptable than you think. Lots of homeless people have dogs. They have a new routine every day.

Quote:
The OP said:

Clearly, the OP can't take the dog 500 miles back and forth, weekly, with him/her to WORK. The details of why don't matter. The solution is simple: The OP's sister.
Details do matter.

I don't know how anyone can be away from their dog that long or why that would even be an option one would consider unless they were in a hospital, prison or afganistan.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,620,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Uh YEAH. I read that.

I still don't get why they would have to put the dog in a kennel.

Maybe the OP can clarify.
The OP said:

Quote:
Due to a change of jobs, I'm going to be back and forth between my old city and my new city weekly for about two months.
Clearly, the OP can't take the dog 500 miles back and forth, weekly, with him/her to WORK. The details of why don't matter. The solution is simple: The OP's sister.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 PM

4,127 posts, read 13,264,385 times
I'd vote for the sister to keep the dog til the move is finalized. Would also suggest getting the dog microchipped and wearing a collar w/ a new ID tag, giving the sister's contact info (if there's room for your ph # to be added on, would do that but given the dog will be living temp. w/ the sister, would use her #(s) to be on the safe side.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 PM

242 posts, read 1,031,917 times
Hello all,

Yes, as I said in the original post I would be traveling back and forth weekly. Basically what is happening is my old job is relocating and is sending me to our new location as a manager. I'll be traveling back and forth weekly while the new office is being set up, and 500 miles ends up being about an 8-9 hour drive each way. I will be traveling by plane the majority of the time, as 16-20 hours of driving per week on top of an overtime work week just doesn't work for me. Plus Ella (my dog) isn't the biggest fan of the car. She gets really carsick. It's not so much my personal move that I'm concerned with- I'll be moving all of my things up at once, but the place will honestly probably be in shambles for the first few weeks and will be pieced together slowly- again, going to be putting in very very long work hours at first, with little time to take care of personal things.

Option #1 for me was to bring my dog to the new place immediately, and put her in boarding 3-4 nights per week while I am traveling back to my current city. In that sense she would be part time in a new home, part time in a kennel, AND the home would be constantly changing and new as I unpack and set up. But she would be with me while I'm there.

Option #2 is to drop her off at my sister's place, do my crazy work thing and get it out of the way, and bring her home to a fully unpacked and stable home once my traveling is over.

My sister has a dog that Ella likes, a fenced yard, and is home most of the day. I think I'm making the right choice in leaving her there.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:15 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,299,532 times
Well if you're flying by plane, that rules out taking the dog with you. Case closed.

Its too bad none of the options sound like good ones because you'll be without part of your family for so long. Then again, maybe you can swing by and pay her a visit when you get in to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs