U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 PM

242 posts, read 1,035,942 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm going to be moving about 500 miles away from my current home at the end of May. Due to a change of jobs, I'm going to be back and forth between my old city and my new city weekly for about two months. I know the move is going to stress my dog out in general- I spoke with my sister and her fiance, and they are willing to keep my dog for the two months so that she doesn't have to go back and forth, spend random nights in a kennel, etc during my move. Does this sound advisable? The transition between my home, my sisters home, and then my new home sounds so much better for her than two months of endless shuffling and ending up in a few place. Am I right in thinking this way? Or would she be more stressed out away from me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:34 PM

16,688 posts, read 26,781,364 times
I think, personally, that it's the BEST idea! I think that shuffling the dog around, in various locations, would be super-stressful for EVERYONE. Your sister's offer is perfect.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 04-16-2012 at 06:49 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,514,161 times
I think that sounds like a great idea! The dog may be a little confused but he'll get used to your sister's place for the two months he is there. It sounds much better than putting him in a kennel off and on.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,692,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
Hello! I'm going to be moving about 500 miles away from my current home at the end of May. Due to a change of jobs, I'm going to be back and forth between my old city and my new city weekly for about two months. I know the move is going to stress my dog out in general- I spoke with my sister and her fiance, and they are willing to keep my dog for the two months so that she doesn't have to go back and forth, spend random nights in a kennel, etc during my move. Does this sound advisable? The transition between my home, my sisters home, and then my new home sounds so much better for her than two months of endless shuffling and ending up in a few place. Am I right in thinking this way? Or would she be more stressed out away from me?

Thanks!
Absolutely the best idea! Kennels are a great resource but nothing beats staying in a home. You will be visiting your dog during the time she is with your sister, right?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 PM

242 posts, read 1,035,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Absolutely the best idea! Kennels are a great resource but nothing beats staying in a home. You will be visiting your dog during the time she is with your sister, right?
I'll be able to, but not very frequently. Unfortunately my sister's place is about 100 miles further from where I'll be moving to. But my dog knows her well and we've spent time there before. Thank you all for your input! I think I'm making the right decision, even though I'm going to miss her like crazy!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,328,806 times
If I was your dog, I'd want to be with you.

I would say please take me with you. I'll sit in the back seat and be good I promise.
I won't be stressed just as long as we're together.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
If I was your dog, I'd want to be with you.

I would say please take me with you. I'll sit in the back seat and be good I promise.
I won't be stressed just as long as we're together.
And what about the times that the OP has to put the dog in the kennel? Multiple times. Super-stressful and soooo confusing!

The sister is the answer, hands down. There's absolutely ZERO confusion in my mind about this. The sister is the way to go. Even if the OP can never visit for the entire two months, at least the dog is with someone she knows and likes... for the whole time.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:54 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,328,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
And what about the times that the OP has to put the dog in the kennel?
Why on earth would they have to do that?

I dont get what part of moving requires boarding your dog.

You pack and load boxes into a van. They lay there and watch or take a snooze. When you're ready to take a break from all that, they are there patiently awaiting their walk or frisbee.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM

19,185 posts, read 15,041,276 times
This really depends on the individual dog. In this situation, now with our current dog, I could do this because she is highly socialized and likes nearly everyone but with our last dog, this would never have worked. And, you know, if you try one way and it is not working, maybe you could go with the other idea. I do wonder if she has ever stayed alone with your sister before without you there and if there are any issues, running off, etc. that might make it a difficult situation that you may need to troubleshoot before hand.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Why on earth would they have to do that?

I dont get what part of moving requires boarding your dog.

You pack and load boxes into a van. They lay there and watch or take a snooze. When you're ready to take a break from all that, they are there patiently awaiting their walk or frisbee.
Did you read the original post???? It stated it there clearly! She'd have to travel weekly for two months AND PUT THE DOG IN A KENNEL.

It's not like I made up that part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs