U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-15-2007, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw area
104 posts, read 192,814 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

We just took in a black lab that was abused and needed a good home, we just had her spayed and when they did the blood test we found out she has heartworms. The animal hospital says she isn't showing any signs of having them so most likely it is a stage one.

They are telling us she needs more shots, blood tests, xrays, hospital stays with the shots and keeing her still for up to two months! We have another dog and they love to play and run this will be impossible to do!

Is there a vet out there or someone that's dog has had this that can tell what needs to be done and how much it should cost!

We will do the right thing to get her better but also at the same time I want to make sure we aren't paying for something that may not have to be done.....if you know what I mean.

Would appericate hearing from anyone that knows about this problem.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2007, 11:33 PM
 
991 posts, read 1,783,957 times
Reputation: 694
One of my many dogs over the years, has had it.

Heartworm infestation is dangerous. Untreated dogs die and treated dogs go through weeks of discomfort while the worms are killed and expelled from their bodies.

Our dog was administered in two doses each day for two days(not sure what the meds were), He was in the hospital for three days. This was followed by several weeks of inactivity(basically, no ball/frisbee playing)to give the dog’s system a chance to absorb the dead worms. Exertion can cause the dead worms to dislodge, travel to the lungs and cause death, fairly quickly.

This was about ten years ago, treatment may be different now.

Make sure your other dog is on HeartGuard, to prevent him/her from getting the worm. I'm not sure if dogs can give it to each other, did your vet say?

I would just follow your vets advice. As for the cost, ten years ago, it was about $1400.00 for the complete treatment. However, my dog was heavily infested, not sure what "stage" number though.

GOOD LUCK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2007, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw area
104 posts, read 192,814 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
One of my many dogs over the years, has had it.

Heartworm infestation is dangerous. Untreated dogs die and treated dogs go through weeks of discomfort while the worms are killed and expelled from their bodies.

Our dog was administered in two doses each day for two days(not sure what the meds were), He was in the hospital for three days. This was followed by several weeks of inactivity(basically, no ball/frisbee playing)to give the dog’s system a chance to absorb the dead worms. Exertion can cause the dead worms to dislodge, travel to the lungs and cause death, fairly quickly.

This was about ten years ago, treatment may be different now.

Make sure your other dog is on HeartGuard, to prevent him/her from getting the worm. I'm not sure if dogs can give it to each other, did your vet say?

I would just follow your vets advice. As for the cost, ten years ago, it was about $1400.00 for the complete treatment. However, my dog was heavily infested, not sure what "stage" number though.

GOOD LUCK!
Thanks, I know we have to get it done just want the best care for her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2007, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Wesley Chapel
396 posts, read 1,187,994 times
Reputation: 157
We're sad over here Jake loves her. Let us know if we can help out in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 12:21 PM
 
1,056 posts, read 2,550,747 times
Reputation: 1102
If her haveing heart worms is on the low end then all she needs is to be on heart guard or sometype of heart worm med. A simple blood test will tell you. The meds will not kill the worms that she already has but will keep her from getting any more and the ones she has now will die off in a few years. I did have a dog that was on the low end not sure what stage as he didn't say anything about what stage that was, the vet just said she was on the low end. Did not need to keep her quiet or do anything other then put her on the heart worm med. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw area
104 posts, read 192,814 times
Reputation: 19
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
We're sad over here Jake loves her. Let us know if we can help out in any way.
Tell Jake she will be find we are just trying to find the best why to treat her..believe me you wouldn't even think there is anything wrong with her they way she runs around that's why we want to find the best help now before it gets worse. Just trying to find someone that could tell me a little more about it but it looks like we will go back to the vet and see what we can do...It is just so hard trying to keep her calm when she is around Bogey and they want to play

I will keep you up dated..also FYI I think your coffe cup is here

Bruce has asked if you can PM us with the phone of the doggie door guy, I think it's time we have one put it.

Thanks for the note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw area
104 posts, read 192,814 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
If her haveing heart worms is on the low end then all she needs is to be on heart guard or sometype of heart worm med. A simple blood test will tell you. The meds will not kill the worms that she already has but will keep her from getting any more and the ones she has now will die off in a few years. I did have a dog that was on the low end not sure what stage as he didn't say anything about what stage that was, the vet just said she was on the low end. Did not need to keep her quiet or do anything other then put her on the heart worm med. Hope this helps.
Thank I will ask th evet about the heart worm meds, that may be the way to go since she seems to be find but testes postive for them.

Thanks for the infor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Ladysmith,Wisconsin
1,587 posts, read 4,341,533 times
Reputation: 687
we had to put 2 katrina dogs through treatment 1500 a piece that is here in Northern Wisconsin and seems we are cheaper.

We let dogs be during treatment and they sat around and did not get worked up came through it good though.
Then they got adopted out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Beautiful TN!
5,424 posts, read 4,684,865 times
Reputation: 5592
Does your local SPCA help with costs or can they recommend anyone (vet) that you can take this baby to, someone that will reduce the rates because it is a stray that you took in? One of the girls in my neighborhood is fostering a doggie right now that had to be treated for heart worms, and she is getting free care for the dog because she is fostering. Check into the local SPCA, aka the local humane society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2007, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Twilight Zone
286 posts, read 749,898 times
Reputation: 480
Default Heartworm info resource

check here for more info: American Heartworm Society | Canine Heartworm Disease (http://www.heartwormsociety.org/article.asp?id=11 - broken link)
or do a Google search for canine heartworm.

Heartworm disease is fatal if not treated. Treat it ASAP, then keep the dogs on preventive meds. BTW, why did your vet go ahead with the spay Sx if s/he knew the dog was HW+????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:16 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top