Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times

Advertisements

My dog had episode of vomiting and abdominal pain Tuesday--took her to ER vet clinic that night--and she has been sick for past couple of days--
her vet gave RX for pain pill twice a day and what is basically something for IBS--tests looked like it was not pancreatitis--just bad episode of gastritis/colitis--
but her vet said she could have pain for several days

today she got pain pill about 640am--this evening tried to give her second dose and she kept spitting it out--in cheese at first--then I just tried to get the pill down her...but it pretty much melted and she never really swallowed it...
Got her to take this pill for IBS/intestinal upset which has very bitter taste--

she won't eat anything--I don't know if she is still having some pain and won't eat or if it is the taste of the pill...
I want to give her another dose (1/2 pill) of the one that melted...
my husband thinks that is bad idea--doesn't want to overdose...

the pain pill is Tramadol--50mg/2

she is about 25 lb min Schanuzer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,997,749 times
To be absolutely safe you should call a 24 hr emergency vet clinic and ask. I find they will generally answer this sort of thing over the phone. If you really don't think she got the pill you could try again. Or you could split the difference and give her 1/4 of a pill. Trying buying some Braunschweiger.
Walmart.com: Oscar Mayer Liver Sausage Braunschweiger, 8 oz: Meat, Seafood & Poultry

It is my go-to pill hiding food after cheese stops working. Make sure you give her some without a pill first. Do this a couple of times if she is a very suspicious dog. Get her worked up performing for her treats doing sits, downs and other tricks (each time getting a small amount of Braunshweiger without a pill) until she is dying for the treat and then slip her the one with the pill.

I take Tramadol and have given it to my dogs. I think you will be safe with a 1/4 pill extra dose but I'm not familiar with her medical background or condition so always better to ask a vet.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 PM

148 posts, read 423,259 times
Next time, if you can't get it down her throat any other way...you stick that pill down her throat and hold her nose closed until she swallows it. She will, eventually.

I'd wait and then see how she is. Tramadol should make her sleepy no? It's a tough call hon.
Good luck.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 PM

just like a dog (or child, or husband) as soon as I posted that--she went to her bowl and ate a little and drank some water--
she is doing those praying mantis stretches at times but she is also lying in her bed or on the floor and sleeping--and she would stretch when she was not hurting...
think we will wait for tomorrow since she drank some water

I just hate to give her anything too spicey/fatty--because I am afraid will make her sick again...
the cheese is like no-fat cheese-----no wonder she doesn't want to eat it...

Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 AM

3,728 posts, read 12,346,760 times
People here are trying to be helpful but please, please do NOT take medicating advice from anyone EXCEPT a licensed Vet.

I have two dogs on long term Tramadol use for Arthritis issues. The maximum and minimum doseage is calculated based on your dog's weight. Overdosing will CAUSE vomiting and it sounds like that is definately NOT something your dog needs.

Someone on here suggested calling the Vet, I second that strongly!

Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 AM

thanks for your caution
we did not give an extra dose last night--she slept fine
she seems much more active this AM
so waiting for call from vet about her diet

Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,961,606 times
So glad to hear she is feeling better! My pug is on long-term tramadol. He won't take it unless I hide it very well so out of curiosity I gave it a little taste (DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!). It tastes horrible!!! Tramadol is definitely one you have to hide with something extra yummy for most dogs.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
So glad to hear she is feeling better! My pug is on long-term tramadol. He won't take it unless I hide it very well so out of curiosity I gave it a little taste (DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!). It tastes horrible!!! Tramadol is definitely one you have to hide with something extra yummy for most dogs.
Unless the dog is a Lab. My nickname for Gator and Kohla are "Hoover" and "Shop Vac" If there is a trace of food smell too it, its inhaled. No chewing, no tasting, just sucked down. No problem giving meds to these boys. Even the "icky" ones aren't a problem! However...pull out cotton balls and ear flush and they are both heading for the hills!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
thanks for your caution
we did not give an extra dose last night--she slept fine
she seems much more active this AM
so waiting for call from vet about her diet
I'm glad she seems a bit more like herself today. Hopefully she is over the worst and will rapidly improve from here!

Old 04-22-2012, 06:23 PM

18,601 posts, read 33,168,447 times
Concur that one should always check with an emergency vet, especially with such a small dog.
Glad she's on the mend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs