Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:53 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Here are some mutts......I think they're as cute as any dog could be

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:28 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
I have an American Bull dog mixed with a Dachshund. He is very mellow and laid back. He is passive aggressive, he lays on his daddy when he gets mad at him instead of biting or fighting. Its really funny to see. He has these short lil legs and a small but about normal body size thats a bit longer than what it should be. He also has the big floppy ears.. people often think he is still a puppy. I have had request for puppies, but I don't have a female of the same type to mix with him. He is very cute.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:15 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I have an American Bull dog mixed with a Dachshund. He is very mellow and laid back. He is passive aggressive, he lays on his daddy when he gets mad at him instead of biting or fighting. Its really funny to see. He has these short lil legs and a small but about normal body size thats a bit longer than what it should be. He also has the big floppy ears.. people often think he is still a puppy. I have had request for puppies, but I don't have a female of the same type to mix with him. He is very cute.
An American Bulldog mixed with a Dachshund??? Yikes! I think we need to see a picture of that!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:04 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
When younger friend had a basset tie up with a plott hound..Funny looking short like basset with the brindle look of the plott..Good on rabbits though.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:39 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Yikes! So do they actually get people to pay $2000 for those puppies?
It seems so, theyre not breeding as many Great Pyreneese as they used to :S

Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,454 times
We have a labradoodle and I am shocked at everyone's attitude toward them. My son is allergic to dogs so we knew we had to get a hypoallergenic dog but we are big dog people so we knew we wanted something mid to large size. I will say we were not willing to pay enormous prices for one so weren't planning to get one until we found one for $500. It was well worth the price to get one that would be okay with my son. This dog is the BEST dog we have ever owned, and we have owned a husky, a golden retriever, and a boxer. When we had the boxer is when we found out about my son's allergies so we have to give him to a friend. The labradoodle is very smart, great with kids(I teach K and bring her to school sometimes), and great with other dogs. This is the only kind of dog we will get now. For those of you with all the negative comments, I am disappointed by your ignorance. These dogs are WONDERFUL!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I have a maltese, shih tzu/poodle mix, and a yorkiepoo. I love them all. We went to the local SPCA, humane society, rescues, and checked on Petfinder for months and never could find a small, non-shedding dog to adopt. Finally a kind-hearted woman at the rescue pulled me aside and said, "Honey, people here just don't give up those tiny dogs. Just go buy one from a breeder." I couldn't believe it, but I guess she was sick of seeing us there each Saturday, and decided to have mercy on me. So, although we would've loved to have adopted, we ended up buying our first dog, and each subsequent dog, after going through the same process with no luck. There's a dog out there for everyone.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:25 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times
I don't mind people liking/getting these mixed dogs, but the price is rediculous. My friend got a chiweenie, it was $1000. I don't think they should be able to charge this much until the AKC recognizes them as a breed, or one of the other dog breed registrars.

All dogs were across breed bred to get what people see today. They were bred for specific temperments and working ability. These new dogs tend to be for allergenic reasons, so there is no difference.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 PM

82 posts, read 433,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlegirl View Post
We have a labradoodle and I am shocked at everyone's attitude toward them... These dogs are WONDERFUL!
Well, perhaps a little explanation will clarify why so many people are suspicious of Labradoodles and other designer dogs. I have no doubt that *your* dog is wonderful, however, once you've done rescue for any period of time, you realize that Labradoodles (or whatever the hot supposedly hypoallergenic mix of the moment is) end up in rescue surprisingly often because (1) a family member is allergic or (2) due to questionable temperament. Since Labradoodles are F1 crosses rather than having established characteristics, its impossible to predict whether a specific dog will have an allergy inducing coat and what type of temperament it will tend toward. Of course, the ethics level of the breeder will tend to stack odds toward one or the other level of the spectrum.

I guess most people wonder, rather than something unpredictable, why not, say, a standard Poodle? They're smart, highly trainable, excellent w/ children, large dogs and highly predictable in terms of allergic reactions. They are also relatively inexpensive from a reputable breeder (and do, on occasion, show up in rescue although we see them far less than Labradoodles) and will come w/ standard health clearances on parents and pups. If I were crossing Labs and Poodles, I would want OFA rating, heart clearance and current CERF on the parents (as these inherited disorders occur in both breeds and are therefore likely to be passed to the offspring) and it seems like most Labradoodle breeders don't bother w/ even these basic clearances.

I don't think that should take away from your love for your dog, but keep in mind that posters here may have a rational basis for their perspectives.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:08 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlegirl View Post
We have a labradoodle and I am shocked at everyone's attitude toward them. My son is allergic to dogs so we knew we had to get a hypoallergenic dog but we are big dog people so we knew we wanted something mid to large size. I will say we were not willing to pay enormous prices for one so weren't planning to get one until we found one for $500. It was well worth the price to get one that would be okay with my son. This dog is the BEST dog we have ever owned, and we have owned a husky, a golden retriever, and a boxer. When we had the boxer is when we found out about my son's allergies so we have to give him to a friend. The labradoodle is very smart, great with kids(I teach K and bring her to school sometimes), and great with other dogs. This is the only kind of dog we will get now. For those of you with all the negative comments, I am disappointed by your ignorance. These dogs are WONDERFUL!
I don't care if someone buys a mutt or designer dog as they call it.
What I do mind is people trying to pass mutts off as "special". Including the rip-off prices. If you are willing to pay outrageous prices feel free.
All dogs were started from some form of cross breeding to get the traits man needed for the work they could do. But understand that it took SEVERAL generations of careful breeding and record keeping to produce a dog with a fixed style or temperment type. A "standard" in other words. More generations before it was recognized as a breed itself. Many breeders who spent their entire lives working toward recognition. What is being sold now has no consistancy what so ever. Don't get me wrong, there are breeders working on developing breeds such as the labradoodle who invest money and time in having all the medical screening and such done. Yet I feel the high price isn't warranted on an animal who has not been "breed recognized" as of yet. If buying from one of these breeders I can see paying as much as 300.00 since they have invested so much in health screening.

BUYER BEWARE: Many labradoodles are bred by unethical backyard breeders that just want to jump on that money train. If buying a labradoodle ask for proof of health screenings before shelling out big bucks. Also they may have papers, but are not able to be registered by AKC or any other such registry. Probably only thru a grassroots parent club, which doesn't carry much weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs