U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 12:04 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times

Advertisements

licking in my houe 100% depends on who its comming from...
jasper is a nervous licker...if he licks you something has upset him...its a comfort act (like a pacifier for a baby) he NEVER licks otherwise

Ruby is a submissive licker, she ONLY licks you if she things shes in trouble or trying to show submission...if you ask her for a kiss...she turns her head so you can kiss her cheek (and shell close her eyes and love every moment) but otherwise licking is rare for her.

Dozer is an Affection licker...he licks when excited/super happy, generally when geting petted by strangers...

Licking is a "grooming" experience and has MANY MANY meanings depending on what the other behaviours surrounding it are...a dog that forces you to be licked for hours is either displaying obsesive tendencies or is "forcibly" grooming you to show you hes in charge (same for forcible grooming of other dogs)
a dog that licks the face of another around the mouth is Submissive licking...(heading back to his puppy days when this licking would encourage momma to regurgitate, muzzle licking is VERY common in the submissive of a wolf pack who will even as adults often greet a dominant with excited muzzle licking

and as tuteishungry pointed out...it can also just be a case of "you taste good" dogs will lick the salt from sweat, of if youve reacently had your hands in a bag of chips, often the residue even after washing will peek curiosity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,352,052 times
Bandit's not a licker. Every once in a while I may pucker up and lean in for a kiss and he may give me a quick one, but it's rare. (Even then, it's more of an eskimo-kiss than an actual lick.) He WILL lick other dogs on the mouth/muzzle if he has stepped on their toes and they've given him a correction, and I know that mouth-licking is often an appeasement gesture for dogs. So that's why I figure Bandit doesn't kiss me much: he generally has no need to appease me.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,630,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

Licking is a "grooming" experience and has MANY MANY meanings depending on what the other behaviours surrounding it are...a dog that forces you to be licked for hours is either displaying obsesive tendencies or is "forcibly" grooming you to show you hes in charge (same for forcible grooming of other dogs)
a dog that licks the face of another around the mouth is Submissive licking...(heading back to his puppy days when this licking would encourage momma to regurgitate, muzzle licking is VERY common in the submissive of a wolf pack who will even as adults often greet a dominant with excited muzzle licking
Artie has multiple personalities, it seems:

1. When he's sitting on me, sometimes he'll literally hold my arm down so that he can lick my hand. He'll lick the top of my hand and then, with his nose, flip my hand over so that he can lick the palm.

2. Every time I've been out, once I come home, he greets me at the door and licks my face. He'll also do this when we're sitting together, too.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM

lol, dogs are very complex, i dont personally belive any dog is 100% submissive or dominant to their owner, theres a constant up and down, back and forth ect. as long as theres balance in the long run....

though i would be worried..artie MIGHT just be getting a good taste for nommies lol...
least thats what folks keep telling me about dozers licking...hes just "tasting" LMAO

Old 04-23-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
lol, dogs are very complex, i dont personally belive any dog is 100% submissive or dominant to their owner, theres a constant up and down, back and forth ect. as long as theres balance in the long run....

though i would be worried..artie MIGHT just be getting a good taste for nommies lol...
least thats what folks keep telling me about dozers licking...hes just "tasting" LMAO
HAHAHAHA!!!!

Oh, Artie knows that these are the hands that feed him. He'd never do more than taste.
(Actually, he's not food-motivated, so maybe I should say "Artie knows that these are the hands that massage him" instead.)

In fact, it's very interesting -- when we go to the groomer to get his nails cut, he needs to be muzzled. When they've tried to muzzle him, he snaps at them and they ask if maybe I can do it. "Be careful! He's going to bite you!" they warn me as I'm wrestling with him. I tell them, "No, he won't bite me. He's not happy that I'm doing it, but he won't bite me."

I know, I know, you can't trust any dog 100% not to bite you, and Artie's certainly no exception (oh God, he's DEFINITELY not the exception!), but I've done some pretty horrendous things to him -- according to him -- and he'll grrrrr his displeasure, but he still lets me do it.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 PM

Jasper is the same way...i can do anythign i need to with him, hell grumble about it, and certainly wont be "happy" about it ect...BUT hell let me do anything...
i highly doubt the same could be said if a stranger tried to do those things.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Jasper is the same way...i can do anythign i need to with him, hell grumble about it, and certainly wont be "happy" about it ect...BUT hell let me do anything...
i highly doubt the same could be said if a stranger tried to do those things.
Oh! Most definitely not! When I take the gunk out of the corner of Artie's eyes, he lets me. Of course he does. But he doesn't let anyone else ever touch his face. So someone else touching his eyes? Not gonna happen. Not even my husband. No how, no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs