Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM

54 posts, read 330,201 times

Advertisements

Dawn, I couldn't agree more! Knowing your limitations is what life is about. Pets, kids, work, etc...

It's like saying, because you are a homeowner/car owner you are responsible for knowing how to, and fully executing all repairs yourself. Talk about absurd.
So now let's take even more jobs away from people in this economy... Unreal. This is the US and it's called capitalism.

A (pet) owner's responsibilities are to make sure these things are done, not that I do them all myself. What I choose to pay others to do is my business, as long as they are done the right way.
Should I be doing his immunizations myself too?! Or how about trimming my Maltese/peekapoo's unruly fur myself? Now that all sounds super responsible!

So with that mentality, where do you draw the line without sounding like a total hypocrite???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
You're not alone.

I can't do it either. I tried to cut Artie's nails a few times, and tried the dremel as well, and it was just a no-go.

You are NOT a failure at this, contrary to what some people might think. You're just understanding your limitations -- like I am -- and going to a professional. It's like trying to do your own taxes, not having a head for numbers, and then turning your paperwork over to an accountant, who knows what he/she is doing.

You love your dog? You feed your dog? You exercise your dog? Then you've done your job. Vet care and grooming are not your jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J1016 View Post
Dawn, I couldn't agree more! Knowing your limitations is what life is about. Pets, kids, work, etc...

It's like saying, because you are a homeowner/car owner you are responsible for knowing how to, and fully executing all repairs yourself. Talk about absurd.
So now let's take even more jobs away from people in this economy... Unreal. This is the US and it's called capitalism.

A (pet) owner's responsibilities are to make sure these things are done, not that I do them all myself. What I choose to pay others to do is my business, as long as they are done the right way.
Should I be doing his immunizations myself too?! Or how about trimming my Maltese/peekapoo's unruly fur myself? Now that all sounds super responsible!

So with that mentality, where do you draw the line without sounding like a total hypocrite???

AMEN to you both .... three of my dogs have dark nails, and roxie even has a black nail on each one of her feet, and i am not about to take a chance of cutting their quick due to my own inexperience.... so, I let the professionals who have the training and experience do this for me (and for them) ......

Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Do you really think the "professionals" don't quick any toe nails.
They quick plenty of them and most of the time it is to get the nail short because the loving and adoring owners are letting them grow to long.

Do you take your human children to the pediatrician to trim there hair or fingernails.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:53 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Time to break out the peanut butter.

One time I cut one of my dogs nails too short and it bled. He didn't even notice. I didn't even know what happened until I saw blood spots all over the previously white carpet.

I would try one of those rotary tools and introduce it with peanut butter. So eventually the dremel becomes a signal that peanut butter is coming. Just do little bits at a time. You don't need to cut off much. Also try to increase walking on pavement as this keeps them pretty well filed on some dogs.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Do you really think the "professionals" don't quick any toe nails.
They quick plenty of them and most of the time it is to get the nail short because the loving and adoring owners are letting them grow to long.

Do you take your human children to the pediatrician to trim there hair or fingernails.

yes, bailey has been quicked a couple of times over the years..... but you know what?? it wasn't by ME....

and if i had human children, you bet i would be taking them to the barber or great clips for hair cuts.... finger nail clipping or filing, i could probably handle myself since i can SEE where THAT quick is.....

fwiw, i am in the process of desensitizing all four of them to a pedi-paws tool that i hope to use to maintain their nails myself.... gonna take a little longer, though.... 3 are ok with the motor running, but dave still wants NOTHING to do with it.... even getting gizzard piece after gizzard piece.....

think i'll try peanut butter tonight......

Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I can't believe that we're even having an argument about nail clipping.

I cannot cut Artie's nails myself. R&J can't do it either. That's the bottom line. It doesn't matter why I can't... I just can't.

Could the groomer or vet cut the quick? Possibly. But it's never happened.
Could I cut the quick? Probably, because I don't have the setup that they have: table with bar above it, collar hold, four hands to hold him while two other hands cut his nails.

Snofarmer, I'm happy that you can do it for your dogs, I really am. But the next time you can't do something that I can (like edit a technical document for Cisco), I'm sure you wouldn't want me to give you a hard time about it.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:49 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Lucy is the seventh dog I have had since I was an adult {I'm 58}, she is the first one I have had where I could not cut her nails all by myself.

So what? As long as I see to it that they ARE TRIMMED.....I consider myself a good owner.......does it really matter WHO trims them? NO.

Over all of these years, if my dog's nails needed trimmed when they went in for their yearly vacs......I would have the vet do it......the rest of the time I always did it myself. Now, with Lucy, I either have a friend come over to help or I take her to the vet and the techs do it for $19.......it's not a big deal.

Did I hit the quick sometimes? Yes. Did the vet hit the quick sometimes? Yes. It happens, it's not the end of the world.....and I always made sure I had a treat at the ready to be given immediatley to try to lessen the trauma of the moment.

BTW, Lucy is the fourth black dog I have had with all black nails and the others all had a few nails that were black.

To Robyn {the vet tech with the peanut butter idea}......BLESS YOU!

Old 04-25-2012, 03:46 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Dremel! Here are the greatest instructions in the universe:

How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com (http://homepages.udayton.edu/~jmerenski1/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html - broken link)

A vet tech cut my dog's nails too short and she bled, she felt awful. I've done the same.

Despite my the great dremel instructions, my dog's nails are too long. I've gotten my dog to the point where she'll let me do it, but then she eventually pulls away - sometimes I get a lot done and other times not so much. I'm afraid to clip the black nails after she cried out that time and with her joint problems.

My dog had great nails when she used to run on a tennis court; it's a natural emory board :-D

Edited to add: I kinda skimmed the argument above so not saying everyone should do it themselves - but if you want to dremel here's a link ! I'd have a groomer do it if I took Nora to a groomer, but she doesn't need to go.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
this thread jumped to mind this afternoon when i looked at my macaws nails...the NEED clipping and snos repsonce to just grow some and get it done jumper to my head...but ilike my fingers too much LOL! itll have to ait untill i can get a frined over hear to wrap my dino bird in a towel LOL.

Talk about having an animal whos serious about disliking his nails done and hes fully capable of removing fingers.

personally i MUCH prefer to work with my animals to make the experience as simple as possible...adding stress just isnt on my to do list...
thankfully its paid off, my male who doesnt like his nails done will stand there, grumble...but let me take them dremmel to them each week...
he USED to be terrible and the whole thing was stressfull for everyone...but now after a little persistence and understanding on my part, hes doable.
My female gives me "the look" she also doesnt "enjoy" nails done, but she just sits there and Sighs...
Dozer was the hardest only because hes so big.
with him it took some time just to teach him he needs to stay still for more than 3 seconds at a time...he doesnt mind his nails done...he just doenst like to stay still during that time lol.
The macaw...yeah cant do him on my own...

Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
I haven't read the whole thread, but ask your vet for a mild tranquilizer. Ours dispenses Thyroxine. We use it for our storm trauma dog (she goes berserk at storms, we've tried all sorts or remedies, to no avail) and for our one dog (out of five) who puts up a real rodeo when we trim her nails. It just takes a very small portion of the 1mg pill (we cut them into fours) to make the dog loopy and not care so much about what you are doing to their paws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs