U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-24-2012, 05:45 PM

436 posts, read 770,219 times
Default clothes for dogs

I'm looking for opinions on dogs wearing "clothes". I don't mean stylish coats and boots like paris hilton's dog. I mean just a shirt type thing to keep the dog warm.

We have a boston terrier/chihuahua mix and he seems to get cold easily. It was chilly today but we had a couple of windows open and DS said the dog was shivering so he closed his window and he said the dog was still cold. It is his dog and he is adamant that the dog will not wear clothes. He watches a lot of those shows on animal planet about dogs and says he saw on a show that it messes up a dog's walking when they wear clothes. I could understand big bulky coats or shoes messing up a dog but not a simple t-shirt material top just to keep in some warmth.

I did buy a cape style "coat" for him to wear in the winter when we went for walks but he(the dog) wasn't fond of it and it didn't fit very well. I'd like to get something for him for those chilly days.

I feel so bad knowing that the dog was probably cold and shivering the whole time he was in the shelter and the week we put him in a kennel. I noticed both of those places seemed cool and it was winter time. I don't want the poor guy to be cold and shivering in his own home!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:07 PM

6,065 posts, read 8,679,086 times
i have drawer full of clothes for each of my chiense cresteds, mymale is hairless so he does chill very easily, if its cold enough for ME to need a sweater its cold enoguh for him to need one.
he LOVES his pj's, if i ask if he wants his pjs on hell do his little dance and run to his drawer.
in the winter its generally fleece Pjs, if its realy cold ill even layer, in the summer he gets a cotton T-shirt as he does sunburn.

my female is a powderpuff but even in full coat the breed tends to "feel the cold" more...so generally i just watch her behaviour and if shes acting chilly i open the draw and she comes RUNNING, she LOVES to play dress up, doesnt matter what it is, she will try and dress herself, (no literally she pushes her head into whatever im holding and tries to get her paws in ect lol) and if you make the mistake of putting her pjs on before jasper she will then try and stick her head in jaspers clothes too!

Dozer only has a sweater and a jacket, hes still a growing boy but hes very tight and short coated so he will have a sweater for the winter, hif he acts cold ill put it on him.

im not a big fan of the dresing for the sake of dressing...cutesy harnesses fine, a t-shirt or sweater ect, but frilly lacey little dresses, hats, ect i just dont think my dogs woudl enjoy...
but dressing for the weather (cold, high sun on light or thin coated/hairless dogs ect) i have NO problems with as long as the dog doesnt mind.

as i said, my cresties LOVE to dress up...
my mums chihuahua however HATES it, it an be snow falling cold and damp and shell be curled up tight obviously chilly...but put a sweater on her and she SULKS, she refuses to move and loks miserable, so my mum doesnt bother with her, but the other 2 chihuahuas will wear clothes happily so in the winter they get sweaters and rosie gets an exctra blanket lol.

if your dog if comfortable wearing clothes (im talking a sweater or a fleece coat ect) and acting cold then theres no reason not to...ive NEVER EVER heard of properly fitted layers effecting a dogs ability to walk.
Chihuhauas DO feel the cold more than some other breeds, they have high metabolisms are tiny and are sun worshippers so they do (if they are comfortable) benefit from a cozy sweater if its chilly.

ruby strutting her stuff in a sweater, i think it shows fairly clearly that its no hinerance to her movment!

jasper in his jammies this past fall

and ruby in her jammies this past fall, as you can see she has FULL movment in them (and fleece is nice because it also stretches)

I wouldnt dress up a dog who obviously was uncomfortable in clothing...but if the dog doesnt mine i see no reason not to
my dogs seem to LOVE putting clothes on lol

Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 PM

8,122 posts, read 16,517,981 times
Lady-Bug [papillion] is the !st dog I owned that needed a coat for winter LOL She has a coat & a sleeveless t shirt & a t-shirt with sleaves. She hates Sweaters & Hooded coats!
Paps dont get a double winter coat!

Why not just toss a towel over your pooch when its chilly! Or a cat bed that has its own hood! Dont baby him some dogs are just nervos not cold.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:42 PM

3,713 posts, read 7,890,563 times
Have seen simple but cute dog tshirts at Target (pet section) and of course PetsMart and PetCo - Old Navy used to sell them too til they discontinued their pet items - they're cute and practical - very seldom though will I go the whole 9 yards as far as dressing them up (fancy dresses, tuxes etc) but around holidays they usually wear a holiday-themed bandana or ruffly scrunchy sewn w/ elasic (patriotic fabric etc), it usually garners a smile from someone walking by and I gotta admit, they do look quite cute (if I do say so myself, lol).

Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 AM

5,982 posts, read 10,772,645 times
The short hairs, of course, seem to suffer more. I suppose they are much like humans - we've acclimated to a sustained temperature with central heat and air, etc. Our Shih Tzu shivers uncontrollably in the winter even when we let his hair grow, so sweaters it is. He seems uncomfortable without them. The rest of my dogs would not take kindly to any of that, although you will find them burrowing under the fleece blankets or laid out in front of the fireplace. Just no clothing, please... :-)

I don't mollycoddle my dogs - they are loved beyond measure, but putting a hat on a dog is a bit much for me. Not to say it can't be done with it's own style, it's just not my style! But when Cody is clearly uncomfortable, time to break out the fleece or a light t-shirt or whatever. Mine seem to tolerate the heat much better than the cold; in the winter they will lay directly in front of the woodburning fireplace with the fans blowing directly on them - I'd collapse of heat exhaustion, they seem quite happy!

Perfectly acceptable - perhaps you could find something in a t-shirt that says "The Human Belongs to Me" or something, LOL! I think your husband's attitude may be a guy thing and we really wouldn't understand. There's so much I don't understand...

Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 AM

109 posts, read 214,567 times
Foxywench.....I loved your comment about how excited your dogs get to put on their doggy attire....so cute.

In the winter I keep a sweater and a vest on my little guy...even in the house. Why would would your husband want your little guy to be cold? I would buy a little sweater and put it on your dog...your hubby will come around.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM

7,657 posts, read 8,675,808 times
i have a sweater and a coat for chico.... he gets very shivery when it is the slightest bit chilly.....

roxie seemed to get chilly and shivery last fall, but she HATED her coat, so i did not force her to wear it and she seemed to acclimate to the temps.....

she does burrow down under the covers at night, though......

roxie, with her "I-DON'T-LIKE-IT" expression:

Chico, with his " I LOVE MINE, just not the camera, so much" expression

Old 04-25-2012, 08:57 PM
ZSP

1,152 posts, read 2,120,150 times
I have three Bostons and a Frenchie...all get cold! They have fine, short coats with no undercoat. I don't dress my dogs in frilly dresses and such, but all have a warm fleece jacket or two and a few sweatshirts. I have two of each sex and my boys love their sweatshirts as much as the girls do.

On the flip side, Bostons are heat intolerant and can even die from prolonged exposure to heat. We live in the desert...walks and outdoor playtimes have to occur very early in the mornings or after the sun goes down.

There's tons of masculine dog clothes out there...here's a couple of pics of my very manly, bully, French Bulldog, Wolfgang.

but see, I started him early in his Route 66 tee

and in his Valentine's Day ribbon...LOL

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs