U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:38 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,026,115 times

Advertisements

Is there any good product to keeping my place from smelling like dog? Love my great dane to death but no matter how many times I clean. Every time I walk into the house I smell dog, and I clean DAILY. Meaning sweeping, wiping counters, and sometimes mopping depending on how bad the floors are.

Bedding is washed biweekly and dog is bathed monthly.

Tried the Lysol sprays, Febreeze, Renuzuit, Blue Magic, and Odoban, everything covers up the odors. Need something to neutralize them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:48 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,350,745 times
1st you need to find out where to odor comming from. Anal Glands? What your Feeding him? Medical Problems like Thyroid? Potting on floors? Then after the problems is solved... Bleach, Vinagar or even Baking Soda work wonders!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 PM

Oh its him...however I try not to do frequent bathing because I don't want to strip the oils.

I express anals when I bathe him, he's fed TOTW, no medical issues, and no accidents. I have laminate flooring thank goodness.......

Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,830,080 times
I hate to say this but some breeds are just smellier then others and I don't think can ever eliminate it. Male dogs also seem to have a stronger odor. It sounds
Ike y
It spunds like you have tried everything that I know of . I would also like to add a word of caution as more and more information is coming out concerning our overexposure to chemicals and perfumes.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,351,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I hate to say this but some breeds are just smellier then others and I don't think can ever eliminate it.
Yep. We've had Shelties, Labs, and Siberian Huskies. Our labs were the stinkiest and our Sibes are completely stink-free -- even with only 2 baths per year.

OP, have you tried a plug-in ionizer? I wonder if that would help. (In addition to all the other stuff you're already doing, I mean.)

Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,458,461 times
We have a BICHON. They don't smell. Except his feet. They smell like corn chips. Hahahaha

Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,487,165 times
Try completely changing his diet. Your dog should not be smelly with your routine and please let up on the smell covering chemicals as you may be causing him future health problems.

We have a Husky/Brittany Spaniel mix. Our other dog was a Lab mix who had seasonal allergies to pollen. In the spring I would give them both fish oil supplements because of the Lab mix's allergies. The Husky mix would develop a terrible body odor. After a couple of years we connected the dots and eliminated the fish oil supplements from her diet and the odor went away.

Look at all the ingredients in your dog's food and then go pick out something with completely different proteins and other ingredients. What do you have to lose except the smell?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 AM

36,474 posts, read 43,566,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
We have a BICHON. They don't smell. Except his feet. They smell like corn chips. Hahahaha
haven't we been through this before??

Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,950,488 times
I keep a part carbon filter in the heat/air intake. Something that I use that I like has a neutral smell and seems to do a good job is "Stink-Off" by Dr. Goodpet. I have used it mostly on my large area rugs. I get it from Pet care, pet health care, canine health, dog products, cat products, pet products although I have seen it sold other places that I shop online. I cannot tolerate the perfumed sprays as sometimes they smell worse than the dog, well, at least to someone who loves the dog I guess.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 AM

That's true it could just be him. I feed raw four almost 6 years of his life then I had to switch to kibble. The only food that worked for him was Taste of the Wild, everything else was too rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs