U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 03:39 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,057,339 times

Advertisements

has anyone dealt with this problem. My dog hates to be home alone when I need to leave, which is not for long. I give her chew toys etc., I had another dog who just died and she never carried on by barking then. Sunday when I went to church I put her into her carte with a chew bone, when I came home she was doing her barking. I have also thought about getting a bark collar which sprays, but wonder how good it would work? Also another dog
but wonder also about this solution. I now am starting on leaving and going outside then returning. This behavior has just started i think she has seperation anxiety from when i first got her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 05:39 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,573,691 times
I've been through it.

My female has had seperation anxiety since she was a pup. We even had another dog already at the time she came to us, so that did not prevent the anxiety in her case. She also had bad nightmares, was slightly destructive, etc.

What ended up "curing" her was sleeping in our bed . Her nightmares quickly lessened (and we were right there to settle her back down again when they did/do occur), her destructive behavior stopped entirely, and though she still has some anxiety, I see no signs of seperation anxiety anymore (only food anxiety and some other issues that have no real basis outside of her little head ).

Before considering any type of bark modification, I would find a way to record her while you're gone. It's possible the barking only starts as you approach.

The loss of another dog might be huge to her, so indeed I'd consider getting another dog if that works for your home.

Best of luck to you both .

Old 09-17-2007, 08:40 PM

673 posts, read 2,877,232 times
We deal with it all the time. Our cocker mix has always had it and he's 100% attached to me at all times so when I leave its devastating to him. Even if I am outside around the house and he cant see me he totally loses it. The problem we have is that he barks alot but even worse, he will scratch up my door! He's made some decent marks on it now so we have to fix it again and we're going to do something. I'm going to talk to my vet about it. Our dog is 9 years old and never been crated so I hate to start now, becuase I think that will freak him out even more. He's always had free run of the house since we got him from the SPCA 5 years ago. Dont know his other past.

I would speak to your vet about ideas before doing anything like getting a bark collar. Your vet will probably be able to help you. and it does sound like the death of your other pet is really affecting your dog...poor thing!

Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,057,339 times
has anyone tried this comfort DAP it is either a spray or plug in which you fill
and it is used to calm the dog down, and stop barking non stop?

Last edited by maggiekate; 09-17-2007 at 09:02 PM..

Old 09-17-2007, 08:55 PM

673 posts, read 2,877,232 times
I have not personally tried it but I've heard others talk about it and say it helps. I wanted to check with my vet first...especially since our dog is older now I want a professional to tell me that its ok.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:40 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,327,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
has anyone dealt with this problem. My dog hates to be home alone when I need to leave, which is not for long. I give her chew toys etc., I had another dog who just died and she never carried on by barking then. Sunday when I went to church I put her into her carte with a chew bone, when I came home she was doing her barking. I have also thought about getting a bark collar which sprays, but wonder how good it would work? Also another dog
but wonder also about this solution. I now am starting on leaving and going outside then returning. This behavior has just started i think she has seperation anxiety from when i first got her.
Oh, I know how fun that is! lol! My husband and I have three APBTs and they have the worst separation anxiety! I mean, all of our dogs have hated to be alone, but for some reason our three APBTs have been by far the worst! They go crazy if I go into the bathroom and close the door behind me! lol! We knew before we got our first APBT that APBTs are not a good breed for people that want outside dogs or for people that won't be home a lot because they get very, very attached to their owners very quickly and they are known to have very bad separation anxiety. So, we made sure that at least one of us would be home almost all of the time with them before we even got our dogs. I'm a stay at home wife/ pet parent, so our dogs are hardly ever home alone! When we do go somewhere it's normally to like a friends house or to see family and we always take our dogs with us for that. It's not like our dogs are home alone all of the time or anything, but with how they act you would think that we leave them in their crates for 12 hours a day everyday! lol! We do put them in their crates when we go somewhere that we can't take them with us, but we are never gone very long at all. We have their crates close enough to each other for them to see each other so they know they aren't really alone, we always have something that has our scent on it in their crates for them, we leave the tv on animal planet and we leave them a couple toys each. We make sure they go potty before they go into their crates and we take them for a nice long walk so they are tired. We also give them a treat every single time they go into their crates to reinforce that their crate is a good place. The crates don't really help with the separation anxiety, but at least we know they won't end up hurting themselves if they are in their crates. Before we started putting them in their crates every time we left we would come home to find that rugs had been chewed up, sofas had been destroyed, our dinning room table and chair had all been ruined and one time they even tried to dig though the front door! They are so well behaved and so laid back when we are home, but as soon as we go somewhere they just absolutely loose it! We have talked to the vet about this and he suggested that we give them Binadryl (is that how you spell that?) to make them sleep while we are gone, but that's not something we really want to do. He also said there are meds that can be prescribed, kind of like doggy valium, but we don't want to do that either.

So anyway, yes, we do have the same problem (I think our is a bit worse.. lol! ) and sadly, no, I really don't know of anything to help. I have heard that it does help to go outside and come back in over and over again, and stay out a bit longer each time. I also heard that it helps to not make a big deal when you leave or come home. Those are both things that we have talked about trying before, but we just never have. Nothing has worked for us, so I guess that's the next thing we should try? Oh, and as for the bark collars, we can't really get something like that because I wouldn't want all three of our dogs to get punished if just one barks, but that's something we would probably try if we only had one dog. I did have a Cocker Spaniel that we tried the bark collar with and it didn't work, but then again, our Cocker Spaniel would just run right through our electric fence (invisible fence) like nothing was there! lol! I'm sure the bark collars do work for some dogs, just like the invisible fences work for some dogs. So, again, we do have the same problem, but I don't know what to tell you to help you. Good luck though, and if you find anything that helps, please let me know!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 PM

8,191 posts, read 27,472,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
I have not personally tried it but I've heard others talk about it and say it helps. I wanted to check with my vet first...especially since our dog is older now I want a professional to tell me that its ok.
Do some research on your own. Many (not all) vets will not recommend a product that they do not sell. The DAP mimics the pheromones released by a mother dog. It is not medication. Here is a link with some basic info Canine Behavior Spotlight: Behavior Problems and D.A.P - (Dog Appeasing Pheromone)

Old 10-01-2007, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 17,089 times
Try Bach's Flower Rescue Remedy. It is all natural and works wonders. It comes in a spray or drops. I put the drops in our dogs water. We have the very same situation - but it stopped when we brought Sasha's ashes home and let Carlo smell them. Dogs are social animals and don't like to be left alone. Be sure you leave the TV on so they hear voices.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:49 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,854,371 times
Cesar Milan says to ignore your dog when you leave and come home for the first minute or so.
If you make a big issue out of saying hello or goodbye to your dog, the dog gets into an excited state of mind.
What I do now is when I leave, I do so without making a big fuss and when I come home, I ignore her until she settles down and then I will acknowledge her. Seems to work.
It's hard to do and I have a hard time doing it sometimes but dogs have a different language than we do so what ever works, I'm willing to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or