Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times

Advertisements

So I've had a bad flea problem since moving back to the Houston area. I have about 6 dogs that are neighbors (2 on either side of me plus 2 more behind me). I've tried everything to get rid of them. My dogs are constantly itching and everytime I look at their belly's they have atleast 2 fleas I see right away. Nothing seems to work and I've tried it all. From flea shampoo to frontline to dip to powder to prescriptions.

Granted this is the early stages as it's been 24hrs but I haven't found one flea on all three of my Yorkies. I searched the internet and found this.

Boil water with cut up lemons in it. Let it sit 24hrs and then put into a spray bottle. Bathe your dog using the normal flea shampoo. Dry off and spray lemon water mixture on the dog and do not dry off. I also added some garlic to the mixture just to see.

I will spray them again tomorrow and keep doing it if I stop finding fleas on them. I was feeling really bad because they were getting a lot of bite marks and itching all the time and nothing was else was working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
If you have put the proper vet issued flea/tick prevention on your dogs, they should not have this problem.
If you have moved to a previously infested place, you may need to have it professionally exterminated. As you probably know, there is a cycle of fleas where the eggs stay dormant for a long time.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:08 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
So I've had a bad flea problem since moving back to the Houston area. I have about 6 dogs that are neighbors (2 on either side of me plus 2 more behind me). I've tried everything to get rid of them. My dogs are constantly itching and everytime I look at their belly's they have atleast 2 fleas I see right away. Nothing seems to work and I've tried it all. From flea shampoo to frontline to dip to powder to prescriptions.

Granted this is the early stages as it's been 24hrs but I haven't found one flea on all three of my Yorkies. I searched the internet and found this.

Boil water with cut up lemons in it. Let it sit 24hrs and then put into a spray bottle. Bathe your dog using the normal flea shampoo. Dry off and spray lemon water mixture on the dog and do not dry off. I also added some garlic to the mixture just to see.

I will spray them again tomorrow and keep doing it if I stop finding fleas on them. I was feeling really bad because they were getting a lot of bite marks and itching all the time and nothing was else was working.
You really need to have a vet assess whether its actually fleas or allergies causing your dogs to scratch. Pollen and molds are especially bad right now here in Houston. I have 2 dogs with allergies and even with the best controls, they are reactive this year. Please see a vet to assure you are using the best method for flea control. Nothing you have mentioned will have any effect on fleas.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:18 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,086 times
I have question.......did the spray irritate the skin? I can't imagine putting anything acidic on inflamed skin or did the oil in the lemon skin neutralize it?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Here's what I consider the best for keeping your pets vermin free...inside and out....I use it twice a week...it's inexpensive...WORKS...and has no toxins....I have 6 cats and two dogs...me and my mate eat it very occasionally ourselves.........Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits

Old 04-30-2012, 04:17 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I have question.......did the spray irritate the skin? I can't imagine putting anything acidic on inflamed skin or did the oil in the lemon skin neutralize it?

Nope. My oldest dog can't get frontline because it gives her an allergic reaction. And I'm sure I have a flea problem because I have 6 DOGS aound my house. So it will be impossible to eliminate fleas 100%. The house had not been lived in for over a year when we moved in.

I've taken them to the vet and all the do is give me a prescription for some flea pills or offer me frontline at an outrageous price.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Nope. My oldest dog can't get frontline because it gives her an allergic reaction. And I'm sure I have a flea problem because I have 6 DOGS aound my house. So it will be impossible to eliminate fleas 100%. The house had not been lived in for over a year when we moved in.

I've taken them to the vet and all the do is give me a prescription for some flea pills or offer me frontline at an outrageous price.
We moved into a house and everything seemed fine at first. I learned that fleas can live in the cracks in wood flooring and a lot of other places for a long time. I had to spray the inside of the house and I used something from Tractor Supply Store, I bought flea light things from Jeffers Pet and the light attracted them and they got caught on a sticky pad. Until you get them out of the house, trying to manage the fleas on the dog will be a lost cause. We continued to battle them but are now using a garlic supplement that is working and hopefully will continue to do so because I don't like the chemicals put in or on my dogs if I can avoid it. It just really depends on how bad they are in your area. I used the spray from Tractor Supply Store to spray the portion of the yard where the dogs "frequent". One of our biggest problems is feral cats which the city refuses to do anything about and they bring cat fleas, the tiny ones.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 57,215 times
I have used the lemon method on mine I am a vet tech and mine were on top of the line flea, tick and heart worm preventive we are stationed in hawaii right now and every time i let mine out for any reason they would get infested with fleas....i used the lemon method once and then waited 48 hrs then did it again i do it after every bath now and i haven't seen one flea on them at all since been 3 months

Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Here's what I consider the best for keeping your pets vermin free...inside and out....I use it twice a week...it's inexpensive...WORKS...and has no toxins....I have 6 cats and two dogs...me and my mate eat it very occasionally ourselves.........Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits
I use diatomaceous earth to control ants near the foundation of the house as well as some lawn pests and slugs in the garden. I have wondered if it's okay to use on dogs, though, since the caution label says to avoid inhaling and to wear a dust mask when using it. All it is is ground up diatoms, tiny hard shelled sea organisms, and it works because the edges of the particles are sharp.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 49,082 times
Default flea dip, homemade

How much water to you use for one lemon? How long will it last before you have to threw it away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs