U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:25 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
There's a company called Doody calls that will clean all the poop from your back yard for you. I thought they were reasonable too. Since I never had it done it cost me $40 for two dogs. If you have done every week its about $25 if you have one dog and about $35 for two.

Pet Dog Waste Removal and Pooper Scooper Service
Where do they put the poop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 02:26 PM

443 posts, read 1,618,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Where do they put the poop?

They'll put it in a trash can if leave one out for them. not sure if they will take it with them or not. But if you don't mind paying, I'd recommend them they did a great job.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:18 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,185,985 times
We brought a doggy loo from Petsmart, you dig it in the ground so just the lid is showing add poop water and powder which you mix with water.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 AM

3,758 posts, read 10,595,257 times
Not to laugh ... but how long have you had dogs that this is the first time you've ever noticed what happens to organic waste in the summer??

Also, if you've got a plastic trashbag/liner, the flies - while icky - aren't really going to hurt you. Just take the trashbag (waste, flies, insects, mold and all) - throw it out, put a new one in.

I can't believe people don't know that's what happens...

Yes, airtight would help (no flies, no larvae) - also should prevent the waste from decomposing as rapidly.

The doogy septic systems are a great idea -- just make sure you have well draining soil (just like for a human system). In clay, the cleaned water will not be able to drain and the system will not work effectively.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:08 PM

3,494 posts, read 12,945,619 times
i am 42 years old and have had dogs all of my life. i have lived in Texas and just a few years in Georgia, but have never had this happen before. i currently live in South Texas where it is VERY hot, and lately been very humid and rainy.
also, many of the years that i have had dogs, i have lived on ranches or big wide open spaces where i didnt have a "backyard" to keep clean-they had acres to poop in.
luckily i am moving to the Hill Country of Texas next month, where it is slightly less humid and less hot..back close to the area of Texas I am from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Not to laugh ... but how long have you had dogs that this is the first time you've ever noticed what happens to organic waste in the summer??

Also, if you've got a plastic trashbag/liner, the flies - while icky - aren't really going to hurt you. Just take the trashbag (waste, flies, insects, mold and all) - throw it out, put a new one in.

I can't believe people don't know that's what happens...

Yes, airtight would help (no flies, no larvae) - also should prevent the waste from decomposing as rapidly.

The doogy septic systems are a great idea -- just make sure you have well draining soil (just like for a human system). In clay, the cleaned water will not be able to drain and the system will not work effectively.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:36 AM

1,177 posts, read 8,069,295 times
Yeah flies will get into everything!

I usually scoop once a day (sometimes have to do it more then once due to pooping schedules), sometimes I can only get to it every other day also. I get my supplies- empty dog food bag, bucket & pooper scooper.

I fill the bucket with poo then I dump it in the dog food bag. Then I roll down the dog food bag and put it in the dumpster. Sometimes I spray with parvolan, just depends. I don't usually let people come out here but if they do they can bring diseases with them so its better to be safe then sorry.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:55 PM

73 posts, read 321,779 times
I have a sewer pipe that comes out of my bathroom wall to the outside that has a lid. This is the same place that a plumber puts his roto-rooter thing if you have a stopped up toilet. The lid screws on & off very easily, it's only about 4 inches in diameter. I drop the dog poop down the hole, then the first time someone in the house flushes or runs water the poop goes with it into the sewer. I would think most houses would have this, but probably most of them are underground, mine just happens to stick up out of the ground & be very accessible.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:34 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,091,273 times
Do you have a fence around your yard ? If you do this works great for us. just pick up the poop, toss it over the fence into your neighbors yard and then you are done . Kidding , we use bio degradable pet waste bags and set it out with the garbage.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:28 PM

92 posts, read 286,887 times
It probably was maggots. Were there ALOT of flies around?
I've found the easiest way for me to handle dog poop is to put on a disposable latex glove....double up some plastic grocery bags and to go pick it up. I tried to get my son to do doggie pick up until I watched him try to pick up every little bit with a shovel and good lord...it took forever....Then I tie off the bag and rebag the load in yet another bag....this isn't so much to fend off maggots....but more so to not be so offensive to my trashman...

Old 10-25-2015, 01:08 PM

38 posts, read 64,052 times
Who would have thought something simple as dog waste disposal would become such a headache! Here is an article that talks about some of the better ways to get rid of dog waste, picking up dog poop doesn't have to be a hassle http://canineowners.com/canine-care/pick-up-dog-poop/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or