U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 01:26 PM

8,131 posts, read 11,034,965 times

Advertisements

We have one 45-lb dog and one 8 lb plus no hot weather to contend with so we just use a scooper and fling the dog poop against the far fence (no neighbors, just a street corner) where it's covered by ivy.. Someone told me to do that when I first moved in here . They said it would keep coons and other critters out. It does seem to work on coons, which are numerous here, but it doesn't work at all on bears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 05:04 PM

38 posts, read 64,052 times
You guys have bears on your backyard? How cool

Old 10-26-2015, 05:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,559,752 times
If it's warm and you don't pick up the poop right away...or you do pick up right away but store it in a container that is not airtight...flies will lay eggs which will hatch into maggots. You can thwart their annoying reproductive habits by dusting the containered poop with lime. It kills insects on contact but is otherwise comparatively low on the toxicity scale. However we are careful to keep our lime container securely covered and handle with care to avoid skin contact.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:04 PM

18,434 posts, read 29,390,516 times
I can't imagine keeping poop around in the yard long enough to have someone like one of these companies to come pick it up once a week.

I am actually pretty OCD about it and watch where Obie goes and I mark it and wait a few hours to two days to pick it up.

I mark it so I know where it is and so other people do as well and we don't end up with it on our feet.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:33 PM

4,328 posts, read 5,252,756 times
With 3 big dogs I have a 5 gallon galvanized pail with lid. (They sell them in Lowes)
I use a tall kitchen garbage bag and fill it 3/4. Gets thrown out with the trash weekly. The poor garbage men get a whiff every time they open my trash container.

I tip them well for Christmas

Old 10-26-2015, 07:31 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,064,316 times
No advice for urban dog owners other than take the doo to to the dumpster more often in the hot weather.

A funny story: A coworker had two afghan hounds and waited an entire Alaskan winter to pick up the poop in the backyard, which thankfully for the dogs was very large. As spring rolled around his wife finally prevailed on him to pick up the yard. He said he filled a 50 gallon trashcan to the top with old poo and got it to the curb. He came home from work to find all of the trash gone except the still full dog poo can which had a big sign with NO! written on it in black marker instead of their little polite refusal pink slips. He had to haul it to the dump himself. Ugh. I laughed so hard when he told this story.....

Old 08-19-2017, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 418 times
I found maggots in my cigarette but can which had tied off bags of dog poo next to it. I've never seen this before I'm in Minnesota rite now it's been raining humid and hot. Did they come from the poo bags which we're tied shut? And how would they get into the tied bags then out into my butt can? They were not there this morning but we're this evening. When I picked up the tied poo bags I did not see any on the ground. And I set my trash out last night but that had no food in it at all. I'm grossed out! I never see worms in my dogs poo! But my neighbors have had their trash out for a week it has maggots crawling in their bags but it's not by mine it's 5 or so feet away. Anybody know how this happen? My butt can was also full of water and they we're floating in it and it's by my door.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:07 AM

4,508 posts, read 2,107,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
thanks yall so much for the replies.
also would like to continue to hear from others on how all yall dispose of your backyard doggy poop......might get more ideas!
I always pick mine up using a plastic bag over my hand. Once picked up, I turn the bag inside-out and dispose of it in the complex dumpster. I can't imagine putting raw, unbagged poop in a trash container.

Edit to add: I just realized this thread is 100 years old, lolol.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:11 AM

8,045 posts, read 5,844,557 times
As for what larvae did you see, consider those worms came out of your dogs with their poop.
Maybe you should take a stool sample to your vet?

Old 08-20-2017, 11:57 AM

5,308 posts, read 2,754,696 times
We used to line a lidded pail with a trash bag, put kitty litter in to absorb any moisture, AND we bagged the poop in small plastic bags and tied them before putting those in the pail. We did this to minimize the smell, as well as to avoid vermin infestations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or