U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM

7,648 posts, read 8,513,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think it is a bad assumption to call those who walk off leash when the dog is actually sticking tight to the heel position as "stupid". Some dogs really are trained that well and are less of a problem than those who have out of control dogs pulling on leashes dragging them down the sidewalk and getting others caught up in the mess of the leash in the process (usually those on the retractible leashes...don't even get me started).

Some dogs will actually not leave that heel position for anything unless commanded to do so by their owner.

I mean seriously, is a dog going to be safer on leash if a car comes up onto the sidewalk and hits the owner than off-leash? No, I'd call the "for the dog's safety" a failed arguement by the OP in this busy street scenario for the most obediently trained dogs. Is it safe for most dogs, unlikely, but for those few whose owners have done a fantastic job in their training, yes.

stupid as in those who think the leash laws don't apply to them and their little darlings...... who are so good and so sweet and so well behaved and so friendly.... MOST of the time.....

there are a FEW dogs that are as highly trained as you describe.... a very few....

and how often does one hear of a car driving up onto a sidewalk?? and then hitting a person??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM

3,000 posts, read 3,109,788 times
Yup and any dog can get scared by something sudden. I don't think any dog is 100% - they are living creatures.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM

17,193 posts, read 14,067,394 times
I was walking my leashed dog when an unleashed dog that had been placidly lying on its porch with its owner along the block where we were walking suddenly got up to dart across a busy street to "visit" my dog...and was promptly hit by a car doing so. I was horrified. I was equally horrified by the owner, who was angry at ME for walking by with my leashed dog, and therefore "making" her unleashed dog cross the street. Who lives on a busy urban street and leaves their dog offleash?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM

12,236 posts, read 11,755,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I was walking my leashed dog when an unleashed dog that had been placidly lying on its porch with its owner along the block where we were walking suddenly got up to dart across a busy street to "visit" my dog...and was promptly hit by a car doing so. I was horrified. I was equally horrified by the owner, who was angry at ME for walking by with my leashed dog, and therefore "making" her unleashed dog cross the street. Who lives on a busy urban street and leaves their dog offleash?
Whoa!!! That's terrible!!!! Was the dog OK?

I suspect that because the woman was embarrassed by her own stupidity, she felt the need to deflect that and blamed you. No, it's not right, but I'm guessing that that's where her head was at.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM

683 posts, read 363,619 times
Oh my TabulaRasa, that's so sad and scary. Was the dog ok?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 PM

3,000 posts, read 3,109,788 times
Oh how awful. Very sad :-(

Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM

17,193 posts, read 14,067,394 times
It was horribly sad. I suspect that the dog had at the very least a broken leg. It did get up and ran back to the yard, but on three legs. I was hoping that its injuries were no worse than that, but I have no way of knowing. I did direct the woman to the closest vet clinic, which happened to be the one I use. Truth be known, I was equally furious with the driver of the car who hit the dog, who just drove off.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 PM

12,236 posts, read 11,755,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It was horribly sad. I suspect that the dog had at the very least a broken leg. It did get up and ran back to the yard, but on three legs. I was hoping that its injuries were no worse than that, but I have no way of knowing. I did direct the woman to the closest vet clinic, which happened to be the one I use. Truth be known, I was equally furious with the driver of the car who hit the dog, who just drove off.
They drove off?!?!?! Good grief, you were dealing with an idiot AND an ass!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM

956 posts, read 781,911 times
Never ceases to amaze how unbelievable people can be. Poor dog deserves better.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Status: "Lady-Bug got Spayed today! Now she is a sh-it LOL" (set 3 days ago)

8,078 posts, read 16,246,626 times
In my Town Dogs Must be on Leash UNLESS they are fully Obedience Trained in Voice Control! What I dont get is people using Flex Leashes Full out & dog in middle of the road while the owner Not even on the curb! My dogs IF they get ahead of me STOP at each curb wait for me then cross at heal...then they would forge ahead til the next curb!

Last edited by Katie1; 05-03-2012 at 04:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs