Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:24 AM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
In my complex there are tons of dogs and there's generally a large turn over in renters so there's always a new influx of dogs and owners. If no one is out Ill let my dogs off the leash to do their business. If people are out I put them back on unless I know the owners and other dogs who also let their dogs off so they can play a bit but I'm respectful of other owners and pets. My dogs love love other dogs and people and just want to play but others might not feel comfortable and that's respectable. I'm all for dogs off a leash in certain circumstances, such as the dog park or when no ones out, but my boyfriend got bit at the park by another dog that was being aggressive towards our dogs and attacked our great Dane. The woman was too busy on her phone to watch her dog. So it's about common courtesy and even safety sometimes. Vet bills aren't cheap and tetanus shots aren't fun.
Leash laws were written for a purpose, and any time, other than at an approved dog park, your dog(s) must be on a leash.
The law does not say if no one is around you can let your dog off leash.
I don't know what area you live in, but you would do well to research the leash law in your area.
You stated your dog loves other dogs, and that is fine, but what happens if your "loving dog" meets up with one that isn't so loving, and tears into your dog, inflicting serious injury.
You need to understand, dogs do not think, nor do they react like humans do, and it could take but a split second for a dog to attack.
It could be a known friendly dog, and all of a sudden it acts out of character, and attacks.
Please, obey the law at all times regardless of weather you are in your yard, or elsewhere.
You would do yourself a big disservice if you don't take a minute to read the letter I posted a few post back.
It explains why it is so important to keep your dog restrained in the public arena, and an apartment complex is the public arena.
I have asked many this question, and now I will ask you.
Why do you feel it is permissible to not obey the leash law?
And I don't want to hear "oh, it's only for a short time, and no one is around."
It really irks me when any one tries to skirt the law, any law, but being involved with leash law enforcement, I get especially ticked when people like you are so irresponsible when it comes to the safety of your pets.
You don't seem to understand, things can happen in the blink of an eye, and you may not be able to re-act in time, especially if you are in your apartment, and the dog is out in the yard by itself.
You really need to re-think your position, and for the sake of your pet, I hope you do.
I don't enjoy scolding people, but sometimes it is necessary.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
In my complex there are tons of dogs and there's generally a large turn over in renters so there's always a new influx of dogs and owners. If no one is out Ill let my dogs off the leash to do their business. If people are out I put them back on unless I know the owners and other dogs who also let their dogs off so they can play a bit but I'm respectful of other owners and pets.
See...this is not ok and this is what we're all talking about.

I lived in a dog-friendly complex and a couple of people did this. You have no idea if someone is about to turn a corner with their leashed dog and run into your dog. If you really were respectful of other owners and pets you'd walk your dog like we do.

Read this:

My Dog is Friendly! A Public Service Announcement | notes from a dog walker

Old 06-17-2012, 10:13 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Now, going through this thread, and others dealing with unleashed dogs, it is more than apparent, many are down right fed up with loose dogs, and the problems they create.
Instead of bellyaching about it, why not do something on your own about it?
Research your local ordinance regarding the leash code, type it out, make copies, and give it out to those you come across that are letting their dogs run loose.
Sure, you will get some nasty remarks from some, and then there is the chance you can stop some owner from letting their dog run loose.
One thing you need to know is, dogs running around unleashed is a serious matter.
Too many look on it as a trivial matter, when in some instances it could be a life threatening matter.
Get serious about this subject, and by all means, don't be so complacent.GET INVOLVED.
There are many ways to do that.
For one, you can copy the letter I posted above, change some of the wording to fit your locality, and inform owners of their responsibility as a pet owner.
Doing nothing to better a situation, does not give one the right to complain about it.
Bob.
Most people who do not follow the law on leashes would either ignore what you give them, or worse, become belligerent about it. They are Above The Law. Clearly, that silly leash law doesn't apply to them. Probably the same people who smoke in non-smoking area, park in handicapped spots, etc.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:22 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
agreed coach! most people dont follow leash laws NOT because they dont know the leash laws are in place but because they a: dont care, b: think there the exception and no amount of informative flyers, polite conversation ect is going to change their min on the subject...

Old 06-17-2012, 11:41 AM

20 posts, read 41,371 times
I run into these entitled people all the time. I'm watching a friend's dog who is not friendly with other canine's at all. She's fine with cats and my rabbit but dogs are a no go.

We live in a neighborhood that has a leash law at all times. Most of my neighbors let their dogs out to use the restroom with no regard of the dog I'm watching. I'll take her outside to use the restroom in my backyard and the neighbors will just let their little dogs out off leash knowing that my dog doesn't like other dogs. It's beyond frustrating and takes all my strength holding her back. No amount of talking to them will ever help.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Most people who do not follow the law on leashes would either ignore what you give them, or worse, become belligerent about it. They are Above The Law. Clearly, that silly leash law doesn't apply to them. Probably the same people who smoke in non-smoking area, park in handicapped spots, etc.
Percentage wise, I would say MOST people are polite when I hand them the literature.
There will always be that segment that no matter what, will always think their point is the correct one.
I have had some tell me it is none of my business, and use a few choice words to enhance their point of few, only to see them at later time with their dog(s) leashed.
So it does have an impact.
One of the cases I remember quite well, and because of it's serious nature, I will always remember it.
I had been in a park not to far from my house.
This park is strictly one to keep your dog leashed at all times, as it does contain some wooded trails as well as open grassy areas.
I saw this lady walking with three perhaps four (can't quite remember because it was a few years ago) dogs off leash.
I approached her and wanted to give her the literature.
She scoffed and refused to take it.
A few weeks later, I was sitting on my rear deck in the mid morning, and I could see the police helicopter circling around the hills next to my house, which encompass that park.
I didn't think any more of it until I watched the local news about an hour later.
Here was this woman crying and evidently upset, being asked by the reporter, what had happened.
Immediately I knew I had seen this woman before, and the fact they were broadcasting from the park, I now had an understanding that whatever happened, involved this woman.
What happened was, this woman that I had tried to give the information too a while back, was again, walking here dogs unleashed, and one of her small dogs was attacked, and torn apart in a tug of war between three cyotes, right in front of her, and there was nothing she could do.
These cyotes live in the surrounding brush, and apparently her dog strayed into the brush area.
Had this woman taken the time to read what I wanted to hand her, her dog may have been spared from this gruesome death.
The only reason that dog is dead, is because this overly stupid, irresponsible dog owner would not listen to reason.
Years ago, the mother of my best friend said something that still holds true today, and will hold true forever, in any given situation.
All would do well to remember these words, not just in relation to the leash law, but any situation.
She simply stated, "Those that will not listen, must feel".
There is no truer meaning to that phrase than what this dog owner experienced.
Imaging if you will, how YOU would feel, to drive into the park with your happy dogs anxious to hit the grass, jumping all over the inside of the car, and just happy to be alive.
Loosing one of them is the farthest thing from your mind.
Then terror strikes without warning, and now you leave the park in tears, with one less dog, and guilt for not protecting your beloved dog.
I can only imagine how that woman must have felt when driving away from that park.
This example should be a lesson for every dog owner in the land.
Things happen in the blink of an eye, and some things we can control, but if we become complacent and ignore the obvious, we suffer the consequences.
"Those that will not listen, must pay".
Bob.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:31 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
....This morning, I saw a woman also with a loose dog. He was beautiful and stayed right by her side which is good but there are leash laws for a reason, the dog's safety. I wish these people would undertand, no matter how great your dog is off lease, if you are on a busy street anything could happen and leashes are there for the dog's safety.

Grrr. Sorry, I just had to vent. I'm glad my dog doesnt mind the leash at all, while he's great off of it, and always stays by my side, the only times he's off of it is in a dog run or in our own yard or if we are hiking.
"...the dog's safety." It is a real struggle to contain the absolute rage I feel at the blinkered ignorance of that statement. What are you, nuts!!!? Dogs are leashed for the safety of human beings for god's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I walk awkwardly with the use of two elbow crutches. When dogs see people lurching around with "sticks" many get very excited, angry or far too aggressively curious. I have often seen them act likewise with excited, active toddlers.

When I walk on the street or anywhere public your effing dog needs to be on a leash FOR MY SAFETY.

I have been attacked by angry dogs and jumped on by excited dogs large enough to throw me to the ground....all of them unleashed, of course.

If I thought I could get away with it I would carry a gun and shoot every unleashed dog I saw, and then do the same when its distraught owner approached.

Scr ew your dog's safety, it's mind I care about first.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
"...the dog's safety." It is a real struggle to contain the absolute rage I feel at the blinkered ignorance of that statement. What are you, nuts!!!? Dogs are leashed for the safety of human beings for god's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I walk awkwardly with the use of two elbow crutches. When dogs see people lurching around with "sticks" many get very excited, angry or far too aggressively curious. I have often seen them act likewise with excited, active toddlers.

When I walk on the street or anywhere public your effing dog needs to be on a leash FOR MY SAFETY.

I have been attacked by angry dogs and jumped on by excited dogs large enough to throw me to the ground....all of them unleashed, of course.

If I thought I could get away with it I would carry a gun and shoot every unleashed dog I saw, and then do the same when its distraught owner approached.

Scr ew your dog's safety, it's mind I care about first.

The law is in place to protect the safety of ALL, and that includes the dog.
If you read the post that preceded this one you would understand that having one's dog on a leash DOES indeed create a safety barrier for the dogs as well.
You are blaming the dog for not being on a leach, when it is the irresponsible owner who is calling the shots as to if, and when the dog is leashed.
As I said to others in this thread, if it bothers you, don't bellyache about it, DO SOMETHING, AND GET INVOLVED.
If you, or any one else want to know how to get involved, send me a PM, and I will be glad to help you.
Bob.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:52 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,687 times
I'm well aware of the leash law and matter of factly I live across from the police station. I put them on a leash once they're done with their business. We have a narrow strip so there are no corners, I will leave my dogs off the leash as I please when no one is around. So please, all of you anal leash police, come find me. Make your silly little notes and complaints because you probably have nothing better to do than worry about other people.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:57 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Leash laws were written for a purpose, and any time, other than at an approved dog park, your dog(s) must be on a leash.
The law does not say if no one is around you can let your dog off leash.
I don't know what area you live in, but you would do well to research the leash law in your area.
You stated your dog loves other dogs, and that is fine, but what happens if your "loving dog" meets up with one that isn't so loving, and tears into your dog, inflicting serious injury.
You need to understand, dogs do not think, nor do they react like humans do, and it could take but a split second for a dog to attack.
It could be a known friendly dog, and all of a sudden it acts out of character, and attacks.
Please, obey the law at all times regardless of weather you are in your yard, or elsewhere.
You would do yourself a big disservice if you don't take a minute to read the letter I posted a few post back.
It explains why it is so important to keep your dog restrained in the public arena, and an apartment complex is the public arena.
I have asked many this question, and now I will ask you.
Why do you feel it is permissible to not obey the leash law?
And I don't want to hear "oh, it's only for a short time, and no one is around."
It really irks me when any one tries to skirt the law, any law, but being involved with leash law enforcement, I get especially ticked when people like you are so irresponsible when it comes to the safety of your pets.
You don't seem to understand, things can happen in the blink of an eye, and you may not be able to re-act in time, especially if you are in your apartment, and the dog is out in the yard by itself.
You really need to re-think your position, and for the sake of your pet, I hope you do.
I don't enjoy scolding people, but sometimes it is necessary.
Bob.
I bet you feel so big "scolding" through a keyboard. I don't feel above th law, I don't feel that I'm better than the law. I have an area about the width of an alley and about half a mile long. So I see everything and everyone that comes in and out. I take my dogs to the very back where no one walks. And the second another dog comes out I put them right back on. Get over it. I'll do what I please. You really need something better to do than telling a stranger to obey the law through the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs