U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:20 AM

3,490 posts, read 7,368,616 times

Advertisements

Off leash dogs don't necessarily bother me - it all depends on the dog. Any dog that runs up to 'say hello' to other dogs and people, should be on a leash because it scares people. They don't know your dog is friendly and it frightens people to death.

I almost had a heart attack when we moved into our current house as the houses are on huge lots and apparently everyone has those hidden electric fences, so the dogs come racing at you full speed and then stop by the edge of the road. It's very frightening if you aren't expecting it.

However an obedient dog which walks close to its owner and doesn't acknowledge other dogs or people walking is fine with me, especially if it's small and non scary looking.

I do not think it is ok to follow someone home to put literature in their mailbox whether you know where they live or not. That's taking your role as dog leash enforcer too far IMHO. By all means say something while you see the person if it's bothering you, but no need to go to someone's house!

Agree with the 'don't worry he's friendly' comments. So annoying and selfish.

But I don't get up in arms about a well behaved off leash dog who just pootles along ignoring everything around it. When I used to have horses back in the day we called animals like that 'bomb proof'.

I also don't have an issue with someone walking a dog off leash when no one else is around like one of the PPs. Honestly the only time we've had a problem with people going for our dog is when their dog is ON a leash and the owner isn't concentrating and drops the leash or the dog suddenly takes off and drops the leash. That's happened maybe 3 times in 8 years. It's always small dogs(but bigger than our dog) and I will kick them to protect our dog even though they were on a leash.

The thing which makes me super mad is owners who don't pick up after their dog. Gives all dog owners a bad name and it's DISGUSTING. If you have a dog, pick up the poop - it's part of being a dog owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:08 PM

748 posts, read 1,041,458 times
95% of the people who bring their dogs to the park are walking them off leash. The dogs are often way ahead exploring the park. I have learned that a yell or whistle will put my dogs into that excited mode. So I try not to do it. I will wave my arms, trying to get their attention, point at their dog, point at my leash.

Sometimes they call their dog and leash them, sometimes they yell to me, "Don't worry, my dog is friendly" Yes, it is the friendly dogs I worry about the most. Last thing I need is for a friendly dog to come running up to my not so friendly dog.

Most of the people that walk their dogs at the park are people who do so on a daily basis. I have made several trips from the park, home to drop off my dog, and back to the park to talk to these people. I have politely reminded them that the park is not a dog park and there are leash laws. They are already aware of these things.

I tell them, my dogs are not dog friendly. If your little dog runs up to my dog, it will be lunch. If you see me in the park or enter the park, please leash your dog. We can use hand signals to communicate. The people have all said they appreciated that I came over to explain to them and they did not have a problem leashing their dogs while we were in the park at the same time.

I have seen friendly dogs get into fights with other friendly dogs. I have seen well trained dogs run into the street and ignore their owners. I have learned to accept that there will always be those who do not leash their dogs, I have tried to work with it best I can to keep everybody's dog safe when my dogs are around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or