Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:16 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times

Advertisements

So my old girl, 15 year old Border Collie mix is not doing well with the minimal heat we've had this year and we're talking no higher than the 70's

I've been investigating a few different products and if anyone has feedback I would greatly appreciate it:

First is a cooling jacket, while it has freezer packs that come with, I can't seem to wrap my brain around her wearing a heavy coat being able to cool her

The second of which is a cooling blanket; according to the website it states once soaked in cold water for 30 minutes, the blanket stays cool for days at a time, that sounds most ideal but curious in knowing if anyone's every tried either item.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 03:47 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,537 times
I haven't tried either product, but I'm very interested in the cooling blanket. Do you have a link to it? My dog and I are moving to a hot state next month. He's an indoor dog but he loves to sunbathe on the deck, so I want him to have something cool to lie on when he's sunbathing. I bought a cooling mat that has beads inside that you soak in water for 30 minutes and it stays somewhat cool for a couple of hours, but he hates the feel of it and refuses to use it.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:52 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,334 times
Cooling Bed

Cooling Pad

Cooling Quilt

Cooling Products (Made in Texas!)

Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,582,849 times
Back when Jazz and Dash ran agility we had a cooling vest that you soaked in water then put on the dog and it really helped, a lot of the dogs at agility events here in Central and So Calif had them and used them during teh hot summer events and some had the cooling mat.The vest really was not heavy.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Before I would get her anything to wear I would have her Strip Clipped! Do you have A/C? No then invest in an A/C for 1 window in ! Room & give her a choice where she wants to lay at. Is she the right weight? Have her Thyroid checked! & go from there on vets advice on losing weight! Less of her normal food add Green Beans or Pumpkin for fillers! You not said she was over weight so Feel free to ignore the Diet advice If she the right weight LOL
At 15 I wouldnt put anything cold on her! Her old arthric bones might not beable to take it & Older dogs like Puppies cant regulate their temp sometimes.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I haven't tried either product, but I'm very interested in the cooling blanket. Do you have a link to it? My dog and I are moving to a hot state next month. He's an indoor dog but he loves to sunbathe on the deck, so I want him to have something cool to lie on when he's sunbathing. I bought a cooling mat that has beads inside that you soak in water for 30 minutes and it stays somewhat cool for a couple of hours, but he hates the feel of it and refuses to use it.
The blanket I was speaking of sounds much like the cooling mat you described

Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
Thanks, I'll have a look.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Before I would get her anything to wear I would have her Strip Clipped! Do you have A/C? No then invest in an A/C for 1 window in ! Room & give her a choice where she wants to lay at. Is she the right weight? Have her Thyroid checked! & go from there on vets advice on losing weight! Less of her normal food add Green Beans or Pumpkin for fillers! You not said she was over weight so Feel free to ignore the Diet advice If she the right weight LOL
At 15 I wouldnt put anything cold on her! Her old arthric bones might not beable to take it & Older dogs like Puppies cant regulate their temp sometimes.
Yes, we've got a/c and I keep the temp the same as I do in Winter (60*F-65*F)

Weight is perfect, all blood work is done every 6 months and according to her vet "it's impeccable"

I know, having worked in a boarding facility for 10 years, how it is difficult for some dogs to regulate heat well.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Back when Jazz and Dash ran agility we had a cooling vest that you soaked in water then put on the dog and it really helped, a lot of the dogs at agility events here in Central and So Calif had them and used them during teh hot summer events and some had the cooling mat.The vest really was not heavy.
Thanks for the feedback and I know all about the Central CA Summers.. part of the reason I'm no longer there

Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
Thanks! I think my dog would like any of those better than the bead one I bought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs