U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 07:00 PM

4,705 posts, read 10,128,484 times

Advertisements

Have you tried getting her interested in the kong type toys by using foods that will fall out instead of packing it with something she has to lick out? Something like Charlie bears or pieces of jerky ripped into small bites that can fall out that she can then roll it around and treats fall out ( use it like a buster cube). You might have to show her a few times that rolling it will make it drop treats but once she starts to understand and play with it then you could try moving on to things that are harder to get out or require licking.

My only worry would be the two other dogs you are looking at are small and while there are plenty of big dogs with small dogs as their best pals you are talking about a Dane PUPPY and most I have seen like to slap things with their big paws all in play but a smack from a dane could injure a small dog. Dazzle my silken windhound is as tall as a Golden retriever but very thin ( 50 lbs is his top weight) and he has very delicate thin legs and feet yet due sto his speed in any movement he can really smack hard with them so while he is very gentle I really try to keep him away from small dogs at the park as he does like to bat at them with his front paws. So if you take one of these small dogs in just be aware that play could cause injury as there is such a huge difference in weight and puppies tend to be a bit rough not understanding they are as big as they are. A small dog also might be afraid of such a large dog. We have a huge dane puppy that comes to the park ( they estimate he will be 180lbs) and even my two are a bit nervous around him and he is nothing but a big goof ball but he is BIG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 PM

88 posts, read 179,171 times
Sometimes it can help, but a lot of separation anxiety is due to the owner leaving. I know lots of people who have had to work with fosters who had it, and they had multiple dogs at home.

My main concern would be the size difference. You couldn't get any more different than a Great Dane and a Chihuahua - or Doxie. The smaller dogs could easily get injured when Talon is trying to play. I wouldn't take a chance.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,262 times
I think if a dog is left alone alot then absolutely a second one should be considered. I have 2 big dogs and they are inseparable. My female was so lonely when i left her alone. Now she doesn't seem to mind so much because she's not alone.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:36 PM

315 posts, read 482,257 times
I truthfully don't think this is separation anxiety you are dealing with. Separation Anxiety is more noisy. Dogs howl, cry, and while they become destructive generally they become destructive of their crate (if left in that), or of a door. I think this is boredom. Dogs will find ways to occupy themselves when they are bored. Boredom very very very often leads to destructive behaviors and often occurs right at the age Talon is. I don't know your dogs exercising schedule, but to me it just sounds like boredom and that she needs more stimulation like walks, park time, hikes, jogs or just general outside time as well as indoor play. Even obedience training stimulates the brain.

I would say using a crate for now is the best solution until you get down to the bottom of what the problem is. I am just stating I don't think it is SA.

As for a second dog, I think that could help drastically in the case of boredom, depending on the dog. If the dog will play with Talon than that would distract her from having to destroy things. I just hope the new dog would work out because sometimes they just don't fit...

Much luck with whatever you decide!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:34 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,173,178 times
If you do decide to try one of these dogs, because of the size differential, don't leave them both loose together when you go out until you're very sure that they get along well, and that Talon knows not to play too roughly. You don't want to come home and find out a tragic accident has happened.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:41 AM

1,464 posts, read 2,739,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaaayUpNorth View Post
I have a 10 month old Great Dane, Talon. I love her but she has a bad separation anxiety problem, namely, chewing everything she can get her teeth on when she is left alone. This past week, two guys my husband works with have actually asked him if he wants their dogs...one is a chihuahua that the guy just does not want anymore, another is a dachsund that the guy can't keep because he is moving. At first I thought "No more dogs" since Talon is already a handful but then I wondered if having another dog around might help her...not only with separation anxiety but also with socializing and having some "same species" company. I have heard/read differing things...some say "Getting another pet will not help" some say "Getting another pet WILL help". So I was just wondering if anyone out there has personal experience with this.
I have always had pets, dogs, cats..etc. The separation anxiety thing could be made worse by getting your great Dane a friend to wreak havoc with. I lived with my Mom for a time and we both had dogs, she had an irish setter and I had a border collie mix. We left them together during the Halloween months and they got into my son's candy. When we got home, they both had lollipops and chewie candy stuck to their long fur. I wanted to be mad but how can you be mad when your dog is looking at you with a lollipop stuck between her eyes??

One way to help break this anxiety your dog feels is to try this...go out the door and stand there for a few minutes then walk back in and catch him destroying something or about to make a mess and tell him no. First the dog learns that after enough times in and out that door you will be coming back and he will also understand that you are gonna catch him makin a mess. Good luck...

Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
I actually have a great dane (male), a blue heeler (female), and just recently added a chihuahua (male) into the mix and they all get along great. My family uses a small child's gate to block the blue heeler in the kitchen and the chihuahua stays in his kennel if i'm gone for long and the dane just roams the house. We tried shutting him in my parents room but he opens the door with his mouth...so much for that. But we never have had any issues. It's always an adjustment for whoever was there first, but all our dogs get along great and play together fine. Our dane is very well trained and lets B (chihuahua) just climb all over him and doesn't hurt him ever! So best of luck with whatever you choose!!!

Old 05-24-2012, 11:07 PM

22,576 posts, read 16,721,867 times
I second those who say it depends on the dog. I have two, brother and sister and it's twice the barking and carrying on when I leave.

And twice the, "O!M!G! WHERE have you been?!!?!? We coulda died, you were gone so long!!!", when I get home. It's so bad that it's to the point that I can only pet one for a second before the other one is WHINING at the top of their lungs about the neglect I'm putting them through by not petting them. So I go pet the second one and the first one has a fit. (It's a good thing they're cute.)

You might win this one, you might, "double your pleasure" of anxiety.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 AM

21,287 posts, read 11,522,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaaayUpNorth View Post
I have a 10 month old Great Dane, Talon. I love her but she has a bad separation anxiety problem, namely, chewing everything she can get her teeth on when she is left alone. This past week, two guys my husband works with have actually asked him if he wants their dogs...one is a chihuahua that the guy just does not want anymore, another is a dachsund that the guy can't keep because he is moving. At first I thought "No more dogs" since Talon is already a handful but then I wondered if having another dog around might help her...not only with separation anxiety but also with socializing and having some "same species" company. I have heard/read differing things...some say "Getting another pet will not help" some say "Getting another pet WILL help". So I was just wondering if anyone out there has personal experience with this.
I'm sorry I don't know much about Great Danes. But in our experience, getting the second dog made a world of difference. Our dogs are Shih Tzu/Bichon mix. Our older dog really got bummed out when our youngest son went off to college. He wasn't eating very well and he would just sit and stare at the basement door where my son usually hung out with his friends. When we went to work he would get himself all upset and lick his paws and lick the floor ect. I felt so bad for him.

I talked to the breeders and they said that these dogs are "pair" dogs so they are happier with a buddy. I purchased a puppy from their next litter and it's amazing the difference it has made. He really looks after the pup. He plays with her all the time and he puts up with everything from her. She is a nightmare, bites at his ears ect..he is just great with her. They take their naps on the same bed and play together ect. All his issues disappeared.

Getting the 2nd dog for us, was the best thing we ever did. I would never have only one dog again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs