Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times

Advertisements

My last lab (yellow) had more of an undercoat than any of the black labs we had growing up. Making brushing a regular part of the routine (at least 3-4x/wk) helps decrease the visble shedding at other times, IMO.

This time of year, and basically anytime of year when the temps. were above 50 degrees, the undercoat rake was my main grroming tool of choice for my lab. Hair, hair and more hair for seval weeks in the spring. At least the songbirds got something nice with which to line their nests.

Yes, labs shed, even with the best foods and supplements/oils added to their diet, especially those with longer hair and more undercoat. Sometimes you just have to accept it and work with it. IMO, labs are worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
My last lab (yellow) had more of an undercoat than any of the black labs we had growing up. Making brushing a regular part of the routine (at least 3-4x/wk) helps decrease the visble shedding at other times, IMO.

This time of year, and basically anytime of year when the temps. were above 50 degrees, the undercoat rake was my main grroming tool of choice for my lab. Hair, hair and more hair for seval weeks in the spring. At least the songbirds got something nice with which to line their nests.

Yes, labs shed, even with the best foods and supplements/oils added to their diet, especially those with longer hair and more undercoat. Sometimes you just have to accept it and work with it. IMO, labs are worth it.
Totally worth it.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,144 times
My dog just won't stop shedding it's so annoying so every morning I get the vacuums out and suck her dead hairs up and she loves it! I haven't seen a single fur since

Old 06-27-2015, 07:56 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
I use my furminator on all four of my black labs EVERY day. cuts way down on the amount of fur floating around the house and it only takes about 15 minutes to do all of them.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,595 times
Default Try the ShedMonster brush

Try the ShedMonster brush from Walmart ($14.99) in the pet section. My black lab shreds like crazy and this helps a lot, but nothing totally stops shedding...especially when they blow their coats in spring & fall. He loves being brushed and I find it very relaxing & bonding. Shredding also keeps your lab cleaner. They shed fur as well as dirt and dry skin.
As for oils...fish oil stinks and then your dog kind of smells fishy. Olive oil seems like a good option, but keep the quantity small. It lubricates the inside of the dog just like it does for people!

Old 05-15-2016, 10:09 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Because Labs shed a lot, that's why.

Labradors are notorious for being heavy constant shedders. People who are upset by dog hair should not own Labs.

OP, you can take the dog outside and give him a good going over with a hound glove every day. That should reduce the hair in your house a little bit. But if you are going to own a Lab, you are going to have a lot of hair in the house.

Seriously, people who get upset about dog hair on the floor and their clothing really should not own dogs. Dogs come with shed hair as a complete package; you can't separate the two.

OP, if the dog is not allergic to corn, try a tablespoon of corn oil every day. It will make the dog nice and shiny, but no amount of any kind of oil is going to stop a Labrador from shedding.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:09 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
No oil is going to keep a dog from shedding. Most dogs and cats shed, that's part of the package. Regular grooming/vacuuming makes the most sense.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:24 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
I use a rake on my dogs every couple of days which helps cut down on the hair that ends up as dust bunnies or on my clothes. It really helps this time of the year when my blue heeler starts to blow her coat.

I guess I take dog hair for granted; it is just part of life with dogs.

I do really want a roomba to help keep up with the mid-week between vacuuming hair on the floor, but my border collie would either try to herd it, kill it, or would be terrified of it. And my blue heeler would similarly think it was a large metallic rodent and try to kill it.

I decided a long time ago that life with dog hair was vastly superior to life without dogs

Old 05-15-2016, 11:11 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times

Old 05-15-2016, 01:15 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Labs=Dog hair

It's just a fact of life owning a lab. You've got to love them, hair and all because they are one of the sweetest tempered family dogs walking the face of the earth.

When our boys were young, we lived in the country and our lab followed them everywhere through the bush, on hikes, fishing trips to the creek, etc. She was like a teacher, babysitter and their best buddy and they both love animals, especially dogs to this day. They are now in their late 20's and early 30's.

I now own two tiny non-shedders and I love having no hair in my carpets and in corners, but back then, I'd have never owned a different breed than our labs. They were a perfect dog to have at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs