Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,417,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I have spend as much as $2000 on a purebred puppy from show lines and as little as $83 for the adoption fee of a Heinz 57 special at the local kill shelter.

The price of the dog has no relevance when it comes to happiness, love, health or longevity.
It costs a lot of money to breed puppies when you do it right. At one time, a reputable hobby breeder posted her expenses on another forum for a new litter. Our breed gets probably a little less than the average in a litter. Even at $1000 per puppy, there was no money to be made. And raising a litter of puppies to the 8 week point is still an incredible amount of work. So if any pet shop is selling puppies for $500 and they're a middleman, making a profit, clearly these are pets that are coming from some disgusting, inhumane puppymill.

To answer your question, sometimes people need specific breeds for specific reasons.
For example, breeds that are proven to herd or breeds that are proven to be service dogs or breeds that are proven to eliminate pests from the fields or breeds that are idea for security or law enforcement. Then again, sometimes people just fall in love with a particular breed for their personalities or appearance. While it's true you can often find dogs suitable for these in a shelter or somewhere else for adoption, they're not always available and there's still a number of unknowns. so I can understand that. But it never makes sense to buy a puppy from a pet store.

Also in some areas where there are a lot of condos where people are restricted to owning small dogs, the shelters don't have a lot of small dogs to choose from because they are in high demand.

This X1000

Couldn't rep but great post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,772,793 times
I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I just personally don't see the point in spending that much on a puppy. But there may be some reasons to do so.

I do think it's better to buy from a reputable breeder than pet store, no matter what the cost is.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 AM

25,777 posts, read 16,401,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I just personally don't see the point in spending that much on a puppy. But there may be some reasons to do so.

I do think it's better to buy from a reputable breeder than pet store, no matter what the cost is.
I spent $700 on each of my dogs. I know how much work went into them and the vet bills ect. The people made about $150 ea for all their time and effort.

Now I have two dogs with no food aggression or fear of children or any issues at all. They don't eat their own poo, they don't mess in the house ever. They are very great dogs.

You get what you pay for in life IMO. You say you can't understand why people would spend that much. Very understandable. That's like saying you can't understand paying 60K on a Mercedes Benz until you drive one.

I'm glad there are people out there who want these rescue dogs but for me I had a specific mix I wanted for a specific reason. I didn't want to deal with a messed up dog that needed to be retrained, maybe it's because I grew up on a farm and don't have some goofy Disney movie playing in my head when it comes to animals.

They have their use, and that should not be complicated by people who don't have a lot of perspective like some of the nuts you see on this forum.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,967,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I spent $700 on each of my dogs. I know how much work went into them and the vet bills ect. The people made about $150 ea for all their time and effort.

Now I have two dogs with no food aggression or fear of children or any issues at all. They don't eat their own poo, they don't mess in the house ever. They are very great dogs.

You get what you pay for in life IMO. You say you can't understand why people would spend that much. Very understandable. That's like saying you can't understand paying 60K on a Mercedes Benz until you drive one.

I'm glad there are people out there who want these rescue dogs but for me I had a specific mix I wanted for a specific reason. I didn't want to deal with a messed up dog that needed to be retrained, maybe it's because I grew up on a farm and don't have some goofy Disney movie playing in my head when it comes to animals.

They have their use, and that should not be complicated by people who don't have a lot of perspective like some of the nuts you see on this forum.
robodogs?? only ones i can think of that don't have any issues or personality quirks....

and how are your $700 mutts, oh wait, i mean very specially bred mixes, any better than any of the other mutts, or maybe not-so-specially-bred mixes?? that is a concept i will never understand.....

hypoallergenic?? no such thing.... they just shed less than dogs with fur as opposed to hair....

Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 AM

25,777 posts, read 16,401,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
robodogs?? only ones i can think of that don't have any issues or personality quirks....

and how are your $700 mutts, oh wait, i mean very specially bred mixes, any better than any of the other mutts, or maybe not-so-specially-bred mixes?? that is a concept i will never understand.....

hypoallergenic?? no such thing.... they just shed less than dogs with fur as opposed to hair....
They don't shed one hair ever. And you're right, you don't understand.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 PM

25,707 posts, read 21,861,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Ah, 7 years ago we went to an animal control facility and got a 12 week old puppy, Chow/Shepherd/Many Others and they actually gave us to her that day because they were getting ready to put down several puppies and were thrilled to see her adopted. She has NEVER used the house as a restroom, never bite anyone, is lease-trained, crate-trained and knows several tricks. Two weeks ago, we went to an animal shelter across the border and adopted a yellow lab for $30.00 ($20.00) was for a deposit for spay-neuter and brought her home to find she was housebroken, crate-trained and lease-trained and if you say "no", whatever she is doing, she stops immediately.

Also, we get these "Wooden Nickel" newspapers at the grocery store, the free ones, and they list numerous auctions in southern MO of dogs/puppies, all kinds of purebreds. Tons of ads for purebreds. Nothing more than livestock to the breeders. And, tons of the mixed breeds, I mean, "tons of those designer dogs". Sad situation and I know that MO has become more restrictive than KS.

Also, we see so many small breeds at both animal control to the east and the humane society to the south.

If you looking for an excuse to do something, you can usually come up with one.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:04 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,565,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
How about battery?

Regarding the topic, I stopped by a pet store several days ago. I saw several people were buying. I was thinking how come??? Then I came to work. My boss told me that he bought a lab puppy from that store and what a great store it is. I simply walked away. In his case, it was NOT planned. He and his daughter walked in for a fun and walked out with a puppy. He had my respect before but now I looked at him a little different. Now, I question his decision on our project all the time, just make sure that the direction we took has gone through serious thinking process.

Last edited by LingLing; 05-07-2012 at 12:14 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,365,952 times
Just to clarify about hypoallergenic dogs. The word hypoallergenic, whether you're talking about dogs, skin care products, or anything else, means less likely to cause allergies, not absolutely-won't-cause-allergies. Dander (flakes of skin) causes dog allergies, not fur. Dogs that don't shed are often tolerated better by people with allergies, but not always.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,772,793 times
Labs are so common you could get one at any rescue/shelter/pound or from somebody who had an accidental litter. My understanding is that black labs are also usually the last to get adopted at the shelters (black dogs in general).

I'm not against people buying from breeders, but I just don't think an expensive dog will necessarily be better than a shelter dog, unless you're looking to put a dog in show or breed him/her. There may be some good reasons to buy expensive dogs from breeders. I couldn't really do it myself. Pet stores are worse, I'm sure. Whenever I see a purebred dog at a pet store I wonder where they came from.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,818,857 times
It is difficult to believe that there is anyone left in Missouri who doesn't know that puppies being sold in pet stores are from puppy mills.

The OP states this was a chain pet store. If I may ask, which chain?

Also very curious why Pullmyfinger is so defensive about this topic as to launch personal attacks against other posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs