Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,812,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Its time to make retailing puppies illegal in this country.

And if we can't do that, we should tax each puppy sold at retail a charge of $1,000.

Puppies sell themselves. Even in a rubbish economy. Sometimes you have to just make things illegal.

Well no. If you educate the market place there simply will not be a demand. Less government, more personal responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,758,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Well no. If you educate the market place there simply will not be a demand. Less government, more personal responsibility.
^^^^this is what we need and not just in the area of pet ownership.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,794,327 times
less govt more personal responisbility for the win there well said lifelongMOgal

im MORE than happy to share my experiences when working in puppy stores, if even only 1 person hears what its REALY like in those places and decides to rescue or find a good breeder based on my experiences then somehting good came out of it...

I think prevalance of puppy stores is very much regional based.
in the area of CT i came from we had 3 puppy stores all within a 10 mile radius...but here in w.TN the closest one is over an hour away in any direction. i think it all depends on where theres more people with higher disposable incomes with an "i want it now" attitude Puppy stores rely on impulse buys, sympathy buys and "the impatient" (people that want a pure bred puppy but dont want to wait months on a GOOD breeders waiting list) the impatients are also the folks that the Sales folks are trained to zoom in on...there the ones who are most likely to buy with no question as to price, you know them, they come in "with a purpose" they know what there loking for...as a sales person your encoraged to push those folks hard and fast, they dont want to wait around so go for it...and if we dont have it in this week sir...we can special order it with a deposit and it can be here this weekend! (yup, just like buying a stove)
for the impulse buyers (and sympathy buyers the aproach is a little more gentle, the key to those buyers is to get the puppy in that persons arms...

oh yeah they train you how to sell as if these are apliances, or used cars, who to zone in on, who to ignore, how to recognize the casual browser vs the serious buyer ect...they even coach you on how to answer questions based on the type of buyer you have infront of you.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,530,053 times
If people want a specific breed they can look on Petfinder.com
There are so many dogs needing adoption, you can find any breed you want on there.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 PM

26 posts, read 82,222 times
I would never buy a puppy from a pet store. I've known for a long time they use puppy mill dogs and this is just too sad. As some others mentioned, I don't think the pet stores here even sell puppies (or kittens for that matter) just fish, rodents, reptiles, etc.

That being said, we did buy our great dane from a breeder. My husband LOVES large dogs (he grew up in a house that generally had about 5 dogs at a time, and grew up with St. Bernards). He says large dogs seem more "human-like" to him. We both liked great danes and talked about getting one ever since we first got together (6 years ago!) We do live in a smaller town though and great danes are one of the breeds that rarely pops up for sale. Just by some strange chance, a woman my husband works with was breeding danes and so we thought, what a great opportunity. We did pay a LOT for her though (more than I actually would have wanted to) but my husband just wanted her so badly. But I am not against getting a pet from the shelter, in fact we go there all the time to look at the pets, and talked about getting a rescue dog many a time before we got Talon. I'm pretty sure if we do wind up getting another dog it will be a rescue, or a dog someone else is giving away. Growing up we had one rescue dog and one purebred dog, and they were both good dogs, so I don't think it says anything bad about the dog just because someone decided they didn't want them anymore.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:23 PM

25,775 posts, read 16,394,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It is difficult to believe that there is anyone left in Missouri who doesn't know that puppies being sold in pet stores are from puppy mills.

The OP states this was a chain pet store. If I may ask, which chain?

Also very curious why Pullmyfinger is so defensive about this topic as to launch personal attacks against other posters.
That was just meant for the cuckoos who feel the need to turn every thread into a resue dog thread.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,417,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaaayUpNorth View Post
I would never buy a puppy from a pet store. I've known for a long time they use puppy mill dogs and this is just too sad. As some others mentioned, I don't think the pet stores here even sell puppies (or kittens for that matter) just fish, rodents, reptiles, etc.

That being said, we did buy our great dane from a breeder. My husband LOVES large dogs (he grew up in a house that generally had about 5 dogs at a time, and grew up with St. Bernards). He says large dogs seem more "human-like" to him. We both liked great danes and talked about getting one ever since we first got together (6 years ago!) We do live in a smaller town though and great danes are one of the breeds that rarely pops up for sale. Just by some strange chance, a woman my husband works with was breeding danes and so we thought, what a great opportunity. We did pay a LOT for her though (more than I actually would have wanted to) but my husband just wanted her so badly. But I am not against getting a pet from the shelter, in fact we go there all the time to look at the pets, and talked about getting a rescue dog many a time before we got Talon. I'm pretty sure if we do wind up getting another dog it will be a rescue, or a dog someone else is giving away. Growing up we had one rescue dog and one purebred dog, and they were both good dogs, so I don't think it says anything bad about the dog just because someone decided they didn't want them anymore.

I feel that way about my dane as well, will always have one in my life. Love these dogs.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,794,327 times
There is a place in this world for GOOD responsible breeders who truly care about their breed...

there SHOULDNT be a place in the world for Mills...

im not against breeding...im just against BAD breeding.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,215,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
As always great posting foxywench!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
There is a place in this world for GOOD responsible breeders who truly care about their breed...

there SHOULDNT be a place in the world for Mills...

im not against breeding...im just against BAD breeding.
Tried to rep you!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,706,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
How about battery?

Regarding the topic, I stopped by a pet store several days ago. I saw several people were buying. I was thinking how come??? Then I came to work. My boss told me that he bought a lab puppy from that store and what a great store it is. I simply walked away. In his case, it was NOT planned. He and his daughter walked in for a fun and walked out with a puppy. He had my respect before but now I looked at him a little different. Now, I question his decision on our project all the time, just make sure that the direction we took has gone through serious thinking process.
Puppy stores appeal to the heart struck impulsive purchaser, without foresight or planning to determine the needs of the pet and the ultimate size. Stores get most of their animals from mills. The mills treat dogs like livestock. Once the female has reached the end of her breeding, she is cast away. A good number of petstore dogs are harder to potty train and can have behavioral issues related to separation from their mother at an earlier age. Breeders take great pride is raising their pets to a high standard focusing upon quality and proper treatment.

One must be systematic about the needs of a pet, the long term relationship and the budgetary constraints - vet bills, boarding, food, accessories, travel, illness, exercise requirements, training for the pet and the owner. I found our little guy using Petfinder and I was fortunate enough to find a him through a rescue. He is a perfect fit. Petfinder allows a person to search by city or region, and notations regarding the health and whether a dog is suitable for living with children/other pets is listed.

One doesn't need a purebred unless they have a need that is specific to a particular breed/temperament. Websites like Dog Breed Info are quite useful to match a dog and family's needs. If one doesn't have the time to potty train, then getting a puppy only hinders the relationship/bond. A 1 year old has the bladder capacity that fits a busy lifestyle but if you're too busy, then a dog is probably not the best option. Dogs require a great deal of socialization and attention, otherwise they become a liability - separation anxiety, barking or biting.

Choose wisely, that pet is a long term partnership that can last from 7-18 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs