Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I agree with the others LEASH you Dog! Your in public place How are the other people supose to know IF your dog is Friendly or Not! You want to play ball Off Leash then find A fenced in area where thei is allowed! In the MEantime Leash Your Dog!
Well, the OP did say it was an off-leash park. I do agree with you however, but I think the OP is being kind of hard on the small dog owners. Maybe they are trying to socialize their dog a little and there is an assumption that off leash parks are more open for that?

I never allow my dogs to approach others without permission but have never denied anyone permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times
Just because a dog is on a leash doesn't mean it is under it's owner's control. The Pom's owners are idiots and sadly had your dog hurt it you would have been at fault.

I would have said to them that my dog gets fixated on the ball and might step on yours, you might want to move away.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I keep my dogs on leashes but my annoyance with the little dogs is that they are usually on one of those 20 foot reel-out leashes and the owners can't get them to reel in. Some owners were complaining in the national parks that while they stood there visiting friends with Tiny on the end of the leash, a coyote grabbed it. No more Tiny. It just seems some things would be commonsense. The owner of the Pom was stupid and I doubt the Pom will be around long if they continue with the behavior because a larger leashed dog could grab it and...........
It's very irresponsible to have little dogs on those long leashes, I agree. And little dogs who have aggression and anxiety should stick to controlled, private environments, NOT dog parks...sometimes people get so obsessed with "socializing" a dog who doesn't wish to be socialized, they end up leading the dog to serious injury or death. Most of my little ladies are social with other dogs, even larger breeds, but the one I rescued who was abused and who got bit in the head by a bigger dog before I took her in...no way. She'd get herself killed because she's so aggressive with dogs she doesn't know, it took her almost 2 years to be fully integrated with my other dogs, and she still has her moments where she picks fights and has to go on "time-out". It seems like a lot of people who have small breeds think everyone else should be watching out for THEIR dogs since they're small, but that's a really ignorant attitude...many people loathe small dogs and cats, and truly don't care what happens to them.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
public park that has been adopted as an off leash area by other dog owners since the official dog park across the leash is extremely tiny

NOPE Pull SHE WAS Not in The Offical Park For OFF Leash!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,669,648 times
LOL, I have to tell you my one and only experience with an off leash area, my dashi promptly became a hat on my head when two large dogs decided to see if she was a real hot dog.

No, off leash is no place for a small dog..

Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Katie [corgi] Does that when dogs are Bigger than she is! Lady-Bug [papillon] Does care what size other dogs are She Ready to Play LOL I think LAdy was a bit over welmed at the Clinic on Sunday! ALL those Huge dogs...she was very content to have Kevin hold her hehehe I told him even IF she wanted down hold her cause these big dogs might decide she snack food LOL He Agreed!!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Well, the Pom owners were stupid for putting their dog in harm's way. They approached an unknown, unleashed dog that was much larger than their own. If things go bad - it's usually the small dog that pays the price.

I agree that, unless you were in the off leash area, your dog should be on a leash.

As the owner of a 6 lb yorkie - (with whom I do NOT walk on a retractable leash) - I simply do not allow her to approach strange dogs or for them to approach her. She's timid anyway around large dog. She has Ringo - they are my pack - and they don't need to meet every other dog that crosses our path.

As the owner of two smallish dogs (one Westie) I get frustrated with other dog owners who consider our public parks to be 'dog parks'. They are not - we do have specific dog parks - I get tired of having to rush to pick my Yorkie up when I see a strange dog barreling toward us - ten times her size. I have to rush to pick her up because I'm not taking any chances.

Now I know this was not your situation but I would have leashed my dog the minute I saw those Pom owners approaching. IF they want their little dog to socialize - THEY should be going to the 'small dog park'.

That's my two cents.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:44 PM

765 posts, read 2,439,794 times
Quote:
so what you're saying is that you are being irresponsible? Yes it would be your fault if he bit the pom. Regardless of what the little dog was doing, your dog was not on the leash.
Not fair. We are minding our own business playing with our dog - who is well behaved - concentrating on us and playing with the ball, and we are at fault for the loser people in a huge park who come up to us for our dogs to "socialize"?? Thanks goodness nothing happened - and in the future we will definately leash our dog whenever another dog comes up - WE are not the irresponsible dog owners here - our dog was not acting out or terriorizing the other dogs - just because a dog is on a leash, it shouldn't excuse bad manners and bad behavior.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,125,876 times
Socializing does NOT mean actual physical contact. It's more just getting used to various situations, surfaces, people, etc. so that the dog learns to ignore and not react fearfully. Dogs do not need play dates especially at dog parks with strange dogs. Dog parks in general while well intended, are a bad idea. http://leerburg.com/pdf/dogparks.pdf

Now, as far as the situation here. The OP was wrong in that their dog should have been on a leash or long line and not off lead in a public park. Even IF dog owners had decided it should be an off lead park for whatever reason, it evidently was not one by law. A long line would have enabled their dog to play ball while the owner/s still had the ability to quickly grab the line and control a situation and be in compliance with leash laws.

The Pom's owner was also in the wrong in placing their dog in a potentially dangerous situation. This is not socializing. Now if they'd had the Pom in a sit by their side away from the area the OP was playing with their dog, just watching and not interferring, this would have been proper socializing.

Let's get back to common sense and remember that dogs are animals and not furry children. They are descended from wolves and are pack animals. But the pack (to your dog) does not consist of different dogs at a dog park each day or week. IF they were in the wild your dogs' pack would NOT go visit the pack in the next forest.

OP: next time that happens tell the person your dog is not friendly and ask them to back off. But, if they don't and they probably won't because the clueless will always be clueless, remove your dog from the situation. No, it's not fair. But whoever told you life was fair was mistaken. LOL

Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 AM

672 posts, read 2,112,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Not fair. We are minding our own business playing with our dog - who is well behaved - concentrating on us and playing with the ball, and we are at fault for the loser people in a huge park who come up to us for our dogs to "socialize"?? Thanks goodness nothing happened - and in the future we will definately leash our dog whenever another dog comes up - WE are not the irresponsible dog owners here - our dog was not acting out or terriorizing the other dogs - just because a dog is on a leash, it shouldn't excuse bad manners and bad behavior.
Yes, you are being irresponsible. If you have the slightest inkling that your dog would be aggressive toward other dogs, the dog should be on leash and not welcome in no leash dog parks.

AND it's called communication. Just because the small dog's owners didn't say anything to you doesn't mean you don't get to say something to them. You could have said hey, I am selfishly breaking the law and letting my dog off leash so he can play ball. I would take your dog away from here because my dog may attack your dog. My guess is they would have left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs