U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 03:22 PM

829 posts, read 6,643,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
So, Destiny's not albino, but do you think since she's white with a lot of pink on her nose she could have a chance of having hearing problems, or even other problems? We have heard that we need to put sunscreen on Desy when we go to the beach because she's so light. We were also told to put sunscreen on Jayda's nose and face where it's white. But, because Destiny has so much white and pink on her, is she going to be more prone to health problems? Or is there really no way to know?

If a pit is white that means it has a lack of pigment? What if a pit is white, but it has an all black nose? Does that make a difference? Sorry, I know these are stupid questions, it's just that I have never really heard anything about any of this.
Albino's have pink nose, pink eyes, no pigment, only white coat. She could have hearing problems yes. Not because of the nose but because of the white. White dogs are prone to deafness due to lack of pigment, specifically lack of pigment in the inner ears which leads to hearing loss.

White, mostly white or dogs with white head/ears are more prone to deafness because they are more likely to lack pigment in the inner ear. A pink or mostly pink nose maybe a possibly indicator that she lacks pigment elsewhere like the inner ear, but even solid nose colored white dogs can still have deafness because of the general lack of pigmentation (being white) as the indicator. Breeds like Dogo Argentino's are prone to deafness, but have a dark black nose, others like Boxers and Dalamations too.

My main concern with a pink nose is in the colored dogs. Since we already know that white dogs are prone to deafness, but what about colored dogs that lack pigment in areas like nose, mouth & eye rims? See what I'm getting at, is it also possible that some might have hearing loss due to lacking pigment in the inner ear. Colored Boxer can have deafness when morons breed white Boxers and thats without a general pigment lack only lacking in the inner ear, so if they do have an overall pigment lack (like APBTs) I'm thinking it increases the possibility.
Deafness doesn't seem to be a common problem in the APBT. The deaf ones I've seen were almost all Albinos. I've only seen 2 white rednose Pits that were deaf. There are others out there but not in high incidence.

You can't know for sure, but general problems associated with white are allergies and dermatitis. Saying that none of my white, solid white or mostly white dogs have ever had such problems. It will depend on genetics and what the dog is or isn't lacking. I've seen other white dogs that have had severe allergies, but allergies are common to Bully breeds and can be seen in colored APBT, more often in the dilute rednose & bluenose but in rich colored dogs too due to poor breeding. Thats why I'm wondering about deafness or even other problems associated with the lack of pigmentation. From the bad breeders out there.

If it has an all black nose then it isn't lacking the pigment there, but it may or may not make a difference. Dogs with a solid black nose that are white can still be deaf. They are lacking pigment, skin pigment elsewhere. The lack in the inner ear causes the sensory hairs to fall out and lead to deafness.

You can see skin pigmentation on white or even colored dogs. I have a female that is buckskin with black nose, and you can see her dark colored skin. Funny that someone called her "gray", like she was some special dog when that was her skin pigmentation and not her coat. Some have it darker or lighter then others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 04:21 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,336,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
White dogs are prone to deafness due to lack of pigment, specifically lack of pigment in the inner ears which leads to hearing loss.

White, mostly white or dogs with white head/ears are more prone to deafness because they are more likely to lack pigment in the inner ear.

*Interesting reading*

I can't say that's the case with Lady. She can hear me open a bag of dog food *quietly* in the basement clear on the other side of the house and she is upstairs sound asleep!...LOL
Or if I even *try* to pick up my car keys and muffle the sound of them hitting together...in a flash, I turn around and there she is! LOL

Old 09-21-2007, 04:28 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,121,980 times
Interesting thread. My parents pit is mostly white, with some black spots. Her nose is medium pink and has some black spots. I have seen a few others that look like her, but most pits I have seen have dark pink noses. Their dog also has over sized ears that are floppy. This pit is also deathly afraid of my parents 17 year old cat, lol.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:15 AM

7,088 posts, read 11,939,853 times
When I was dogsitting for this couple, they had a golden retriever with a pink nose.
They were told it was caused from her going in the swimming pool a lot.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:52 PM

8,187 posts, read 16,991,532 times
hahahaha sorry I thought that I heard every think...NO swimming does not cause pink nose! born that way!

Old 09-24-2007, 11:42 PM

4,057 posts, read 7,827,686 times
Pigment fading from noses isn't necesarily from birth. I've had dogs that I couldn't show in winter months because the judge would mark against them because of lack of pigment. (A nose not entirely black is a disqualification in German Shepherd Dogs) This wasn't a problem in summer when we have more daylight hours, more sun, etc. Do a google search on "snow nose" to see what I mean.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Pigment fading from noses isn't necesarily from birth. I've had dogs that I couldn't show in winter months because the judge would mark against them because of lack of pigment. (A nose not entirely black is a disqualification in German Shepherd Dogs) This wasn't a problem in summer when we have more daylight hours, more sun, etc. Do a google search on "snow nose" to see what I mean.

This is very true. I had this happen with a couple. It can also be chemical induced or caused from other things. There were some metallic bowls that were causing this in the dogs noses when they'd eat all the food and still be digging around at the bottom.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:34 AM

43,017 posts, read 49,687,764 times
Interesting discussion.

My yellow labrador gets a lighter colored nose (not pink, just sort of brown) in the winter.

In the summer, it's jet black.

I've always wondered about his nose......

Old 09-25-2007, 01:50 AM

43,017 posts, read 49,687,764 times
I found the answer to my question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.labbies.com/genetics2.htm#Nose
While on the Subject of Yellow Labs…

Why is it that the yellow Labs' ears are always darker than their bodies, even when they have no shading on their bodies? And what causes the noses of yellow Labs to fade during winter months?

The answers to both these questions can be found by examining the tyrosinase enzymes responsible for producing melanin from tyrosine. Some forms of these enzymes are temperature-unstable mutants that only produce melanins under ideal temperature conditions. Some tyrosinase enzymes work more efficiently in colder temperatures. Extremities, like the ears, are usually a cooler temperature than other parts of the body and as a result, the tyrosinase is able to produce more pigment in this region.

Conversely, the tyrosinase enzyme responsible for producing the dark nose pigment in yellows is unstable at low temperatures. Under conditions of low temperature, the tyrosinase enzyme stops driving the chemical reaction, and tyrosine conversion to eumelanin in the skin will occur at a much slower rate. As a result, pigment will fade.

Though certain drugs may also produce pigment fading, this latter cause for reduction in pigment occurs because these drugs will bind to dopa (an early precursor to melanin in the reaction from tyrosine to melanin) and inhibit the further chemical reactions that result in melanin. This condition will also cause fading of pigment in the Lab.
Which ultimately lead me to find this article titled "APBT Genetics of Coloration."

Encyclopedia of the American Pit Bull Terrier : Genetics of Color

Maybe that will help answer your questions.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I found the answer to my question!

Which ultimately lead me to find this article titled "APBT Genetics of Coloration."

Encyclopedia of the American Pit Bull Terrier : Genetics of Color

Maybe that will help answer your questions.
Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately it doesn't, the only way to find out will be to see where the breed goes. Which might not be too great, I'm positive the health problems will pop up that are linked to lack of pigment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs