U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2007, 03:14 PM
 
829 posts, read 6,487,755 times
Reputation: 447
Default Pinknose In Pit Bulls (or other breeds)

What causes the pink? Obviously its a lack of pigment, but is it from breeding dilutes together over & over? To where it gets washed out or the dog is missing something?

Is this something to be concerned about or only IF it were repetitively done like with the constant blue x blue breeding. Like it would be obvious not to breed 2 dogs who don't have pigment together. But it would be ok to breed a dog with no pigment to a dog with rich pigment? Should that be in an outcross only? Often times lighter or lack of pigment is seen as a potential threat to health. So it could be potentially bad.

You have sunburn and skin sensitivity. But what about other problems if bred without regard to health or continually breeding. Like allergies, skin issues and demodex.



What about deafness? Is this possible to pop up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
1,932 posts, read 7,152,749 times
Reputation: 972
Pinknose? You mean like Destiny? Destiny has a pink nose with black spots on it. She definitely wasn't properly bred and I'm sure she will have health problems from when she was younger and almost died, but I have never heard that having a pink nose is a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2007, 07:22 PM
 
829 posts, read 6,487,755 times
Reputation: 447
Yes lack of pigment is bad.

There are a lot of washed out dogs, like the lilac colored Pit Bulls, really light blues and rednose with see through pigment instead of a rich red nose. The breeding dogs for color has led to compromised immune systems, demodix, allergies, and other things.

In general a lack of pigment is not natural, it also leaves them open to sunburn and skin sensitivities.

Destiny having black on her nose means she had some pigment there. A pink nose would have no pigment, black, red, blue or otherwise. They all have pink noses but have pigment over them, if they don't then it will just look pink is what I mean. It would totally lack pigment, like Albino Pit Bulls. I've seen some so washed out they looked pink but you could faintly see some red pigment. Being that deafness is caused from the lack of pigment in the inner ear (why Albino's are deaf and why some whites are deaf) I wondered if a solid dog that lacked skin pigment could also be deaf. I know that some solid colored Boxers are deaf when people ad white Boxers to the breeding program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2007, 08:40 AM
 
Location: West Virginia
8,015 posts, read 15,590,051 times
Reputation: 4166
Years ago It was tought to lead to cancer & the advice was to keep the dog out of the sun & bright snow. Breeding such dogs was a big no no...yet today lots of dogs have it, What are breeders doing to our 4 legged kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2007, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Tejas
6,679 posts, read 10,028,617 times
Reputation: 4090
ALlot of people will only by a rednose or bluenose pitbull. Ive no idea why it would be an attraction, it never even crossed my mind. But if the demand is there, the supply will also ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2007, 10:01 AM
 
Location: West Virginia
8,015 posts, read 15,590,051 times
Reputation: 4166
That does not make it right. Look up...NASAL SOLAR DERMATITIS....
information on the web. To me it is a sign of poor breeding. & unnessary Pain for the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2007, 10:09 AM
 
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
1,932 posts, read 7,152,749 times
Reputation: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
ALlot of people will only by a rednose or bluenose pitbull. Ive no idea why it would be an attraction, it never even crossed my mind. But if the demand is there, the supply will also ...
I have noticed that. People charge a lot more for blues and red noses and everyone seems to want a blue or a red nose. I just love the breed, I really don't care what color they are! lol! All of mine were the runts and probably wont get very big at all, especially Destiny because she was so sick when she was younger. Also, a lot of people don't like brindles and Brooklyn's a brindle and Jayda's ears are goofy, they stand up a lot. It's funny because I have even had people tell me there's no way that Brooklyn is a pure bred APBT because he's brindle! lol! Brooklyn is the one out of our three that we know for a fact is purebred and have proof of it. His mom was solid Red and his dad was blue, he was the only puppy that was brindle, but because he's brindle some people don't believe us that he is pure APBT. It's kind of funny to me how important looks (especially color) are to some people. I love the breed for their temperament and personality, the way they look really isn't important to me as long as they are healthy and happy! Their personality makes them the cute! That's just my opinion though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 AM
 
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
1,932 posts, read 7,152,749 times
Reputation: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Yes lack of pigment is bad.

There are a lot of washed out dogs, like the lilac colored Pit Bulls, really light blues and rednose with see through pigment instead of a rich red nose. The breeding dogs for color has led to compromised immune systems, demodix, allergies, and other things.

In general a lack of pigment is not natural, it also leaves them open to sunburn and skin sensitivities.

Destiny having black on her nose means she had some pigment there. A pink nose would have no pigment, black, red, blue or otherwise. They all have pink noses but have pigment over them, if they don't then it will just look pink is what I mean. It would totally lack pigment, like Albino Pit Bulls. I've seen some so washed out they looked pink but you could faintly see some red pigment. Being that deafness is caused from the lack of pigment in the inner ear (why Albino's are deaf and why some whites are deaf) I wondered if a solid dog that lacked skin pigment could also be deaf. I know that some solid colored Boxers are deaf when people ad white Boxers to the breeding program.
So, Destiny's not albino, but do you think since she's white with a lot of pink on her nose she could have a chance of having hearing problems, or even other problems? We have heard that we need to put sunscreen on Desy when we go to the beach because she's so light. We were also told to put sunscreen on Jayda's nose and face where it's white. But, because Destiny has so much white and pink on her, is she going to be more prone to health problems? Or is there really no way to know?



If a pit is white that means it has a lack of pigment? What if a pit is white, but it has an all black nose? Does that make a difference? Sorry, I know these are stupid questions, it's just that I have never really heard anything about any of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2007, 01:25 PM
 
829 posts, read 6,487,755 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I have noticed that. People charge a lot more for blues and red noses and everyone seems to want a blue or a red nose. I just love the breed, I really don't care what color they are! lol! All of mine were the runts and probably wont get very big at all, especially Destiny because she was so sick when she was younger. Also, a lot of people don't like brindles and Brooklyn's a brindle and Jayda's ears are goofy, they stand up a lot. It's funny because I have even had people tell me there's no way that Brooklyn is a pure bred APBT because he's brindle! lol! Brooklyn is the one out of our three that we know for a fact is purebred and have proof of it. His mom was solid Red and his dad was blue, he was the only puppy that was brindle, but because he's brindle some people don't believe us that he is pure APBT. It's kind of funny to me how important looks (especially color) are to some people. I love the breed for their temperament and personality, the way they look really isn't important to me as long as they are healthy and happy! Their personality makes them the cute! That's just my opinion though.
I think its the bybs charging more for color. Good breeders charge the same for pups or different for pet/show quality no matter the color. I know you know that but its something that should be said. I have seen what I thought was a funny ad, these people have some tan and what looked like a couple blue fawn (although I'm not sure if they were aware of that) and these pups were only $300 and then they had a blue brindle and she was $800....lol Because of her "very rare markings". Maye if she were 1 or 200 more I could understand (not really because I don't believe in the paying for color thing) but to be $500 more seems a stretch even for the "fad color breeds" generally most I see only charge a bit more for bluenose pups.

LOL at that moron. Brindle Pit Bulls arn't pure? I'd like to hear what he is supposed to be mixed with. Most of the original dogs/APBT foundation were brindle or white/brindle. Lets CH Pilot, Pinscher, Fighting Peter (who's sires parents were imported from Ireland), Tige, Pansey, GR CH Pup, The Gas House Dog (who was imported) and so many more. The Majority of Colby dogs are brindle and they've been breeding over a 150yrs. When people say stupid things like that I just show them how dumb they look by stating the truth.

People are so stupid these days it no wonder the breed is in such a bad shape. You can't fault someone for not having knowledge but you can surely fault them for not researching or just making them up. I've know people who have made things up on the fly or lied to me, especially about their dogs bloodlines or pedigree. Someone who told me he had a Gotti female (not that I care) I found out doesn't have Gotti in her at all. He said he had a "pure crenshaw line" whatever the heck that is supposed to mean as thats just a breeders name. I asked him what crenshaw was this, J or E. Was it Jeep or which dog? He said yeah its a pure Jeep Crenshaw. I saw a pic of the dog NO WAY!!! So then I said looks maybe, some Rascal IF that at all. He then said yeah thats it, its some pure crenshaw line. So I later find out from someone who didn't even know about this incident that he went and asked her what are some lines and she had told him that all she really knows was Crenshaw and something else, she doesn't really know the lines just a few names. Then he came saying he had "faded Gator" yet something else he made up, my husband asked him what that even was.

One friend of mine was walking his black/white Pit and a lady stopped him and asked if he was a Pit. Guy said yes and then she said but he's not purebred. He's like yeah he is. She's like no he's not Pit Bulls don't come in black. WFT???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2007, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Tejas
6,679 posts, read 10,028,617 times
Reputation: 4090
Sure pitbulls only come in a Yellow / Red mix, get with the times Samara! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top