U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 AM

3,779 posts, read 3,051,558 times
Default Long Lasting Chew, Not Rawhide?

I have two 60 lb. dogs with big teeth and strong jaws. Every long lasting chew that I have purchased lasts about 5 minutes or less which does not justify the high price tag. I don't like rawhide at all or anything from China. They have no interest in non-edible and just give me a dumb look if I present them with something like Nylabone since they obviously realize this is not food so why would I chew it since they are past the "chewing" phase of their lives. So, does anyone know of a worthy product that is actually long-lasting. I order most things online since we live in a small town. Any help would be appreciated by "all".
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 AM

2,117 posts, read 2,119,076 times
Geez... I was going to suggest nylabone.

Mine don't go totally cuckoo for them like they would a beef bone, but aside from real meat bones, nothing is going to do that.

The nylabones we use on both 26 and 50lb dogs are the "souper" ones. Now it looks like they're called durachew. Shaped like a clenched fist. They last about a year in our house (one for each dog). And they're flavored. We've tried other ones that don't last nearly as long.

If your dogs are exceptionally powerful chewers, you may just have to come to terms with the fact that nothing is going to last that long.

Edit: I should just add a disclaimer that my dogs each get two stuffed kongs a day and they spend quite a bit of time chewing on those to get the prize out, so by the time they get done with that and all the playing that we do, they're too sleepy to chew for long. You might try kongs stuffed with food. I use small bits of hotdog buns. They have to chew on them and really work on it to get that out.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:23 AM

19,237 posts, read 15,013,536 times
Plastic pop bottles.

Take the top and little "ring" off.

Best game in town.............

Rip gets one a day.......they are cheap.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,187,885 times
Kongs, either empty or filled with a frozen mixture of kibble & peanut butter. Its the only thing I have every found that Gator can't rip apart and that he will spend time chewing on. Rawhide can block intestines so those aren't purchased. We don't buy nylabones either. Our guys are heavy chewers and raise sharp, rough edges on them. It always end up with a lot of blood from ripped lips and gums

Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 AM

5,744 posts, read 4,400,508 times
go buy a couple of roasts (beef or pork), and give them the raw bone with some meat on it (do NOT cook it). The bone should be as big as their heads so they don't try to swallow it all.

Or, try deer antlers and bully sticks. Bully sticks can be several feet long and are available on-line. Interesting info: bully sticks are bull penis.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 AM

8,192 posts, read 18,538,736 times
These things last for days and days Antler Chews I like them because they are all natural, do not splinter like bones, and are not a part of the meat industry.

These also last and last Himalayan Dog Chew Make sure to get this band as the knock off brands do not last anywhere near as long. This treat is very high in protein and you may notice a softening of the stool for a day.

Another thing I do is to get marrow bones (soup bones) at the meat counter. I freeze them, and give them to frozen. They keep my 90 pound dog occupied all day.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:16 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,603,664 times
I bought my monster chewers a 6 pack of antlers for Christmas, they are still around and in one piece. I keep them inside so the sunlight doesn't degrade them.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:25 PM

379 posts, read 347,051 times
We get smoked pork bones from the amish butcher shop for our akita mix, she LOVES them. I also get this ridiculously cheap stuffed pet toy from the local Walgreen's, it has two different squeakers, one at the head that chirps, moos, meows, etc as is appropriate for the particular animal, the other end just squeaks. They run $3-$5 each, and our 'destructo dog' keeps them for 3-6 weeks each! Other dog toys last mere hours for her.

Another stuffed toy with a longer than normal life expectancy are webkins. Seem to be better made than most dog toys. But when they do break, they are full of small bags full of tiny plastic beads, that really HURT when stepped on!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:22 PM

3,779 posts, read 3,051,558 times
Oh, thank you! So many good ideas and I'll check them all out tomorrow and see what I can order. We really need something to keep them busy if the weather is really bad like with pounding rain and horrible gusts or ice. They look at me like "Well?".

Old 05-13-2012, 04:25 PM

5,983 posts, read 7,707,970 times
i generally stick to bully sticks and antler chews for mine, there not cheap but they last, dont have the issues rawhide has and the dogs love em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs