U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 10:22 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,784,772 times

Advertisements

This is, however, a VERY interesting article

Rage Syndrome Article (http://www.essfta.org/health_research/aggression.htm - broken link)

We actually may, in retrospect, have been dealing with a form of dominance agression but still a chemical imbalance relating to serotonin levels. Certainly there were no warning signs in terms of body language.

It does indicate showlines (surprise surprise)
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,016,057 times
I've had several Springers and not experienced it. From what I've been told it runs in certain lines and not others, kind of like the hip and eye problems that some get. Probably a good reason for getting this type of dog from a reputable breeder.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,099,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I've had several Springers and not experienced it. From what I've been told it runs in certain lines and not others, kind of like the hip and eye problems that some get. Probably a good reason for getting this type of dog from a reputable breeder.
I attempted to adopt an owner surrendered ESS from a major rescue organization this past winter. The adoption was unsuccessful and I had to return the dog to the owner. Beautiful dog and so easy to love and very affectionate/happy dog. Unfortunately and undisclosed this bench bred ESS did have rage syndrome; it was from strong championship show lines, and it attacked my elderly lab while he lay sleeping, luckily I was within a foot at the time of attack and was able to pull the ESS off before he killed my lab.

I had another ESS I rescued 10 yrs ago that was a the "field" variety and never showed any aggression. I wouldn't allow "rage syndrome" to keep me from owning another Springer but I think people, especially with children, need to be aware and stay away from those lines where there is a greater tendancy for this to occur.

The people from the rescue orginization were furious with me when I used the term "rage syndrome" and told me it was a myth, that there was no such thing. Well, I was there at the time of attack, there was no warning and the other dog was sound asleep...it does exist. Know not only the breed but take plenty of time to familiarize yourself with a dog before adopting. Please.

For me, I'll stay away from the "bench" varieties with generations of show champions behind them and look for bench/field mix or field only strains. YMMV

Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,784,772 times
Just curious
This dog was the sire of my ESS years ago.
It was a showlines that "worked'
Anyone know if he carried it.

Now I know from GSD what a showlines that works means (wink wink wink) and I'll stick to the working lines. I imagine the same could be true with spaniels. I will say my little ESS had bookoos of working drives though.

Am Can Ber CH Kay N Dee King of the Road
Am Can CD, Am CDX, WD
"Roady" is the only English Springer Spaniel in the history of the breed to be an All Breed Best In Show Winner, Specialty Best In Show Winner,
High In Trial Obedience Dog, and Certified Working Hunter in the Field.
"Roady" finished his American Championship with 3 Specialty 5 Point Majors
Top 10 ESS 1984, 1985, 1986
Top 10 Obedience Springer 1982
ESSFTA #2 Show Springer 1984
2 Time Parent Club Award Winner
American Spaniel Club Best of Breed Winner 1984
Westminster Kennel Club Best of Breed Winner 1985, 1986
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or