Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 AM

2,769 posts, read 404,832 times

Advertisements

Thats with the old saying- the more people I meet, the more I love my dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So she lets her untrained dog run loose and she calls her dog the idiot?

Sounds like a real winner, there. "Let me put my pet's life at risk because I can't be bothered to train him or leash him if untrained and let me also cause problems for any random person who might hit my dog because I'm a moron."

And if you had hit her dog, I'll bet she would have been screaming at you, too.

I can't stand people sometimes.
Actually I think she was calling me an idiot...LOL. Because when I stopped the car I asked "are you calling me an idiot", and then she said "no, I'm talking to my dog" and looked down. She probably figured I didn't hear her with the windows rolled up but by then I had stopped the car.

After I said the dog shouldn't be out in the street and with the rain if you slam on your brakes you can skid is when she said "I'm an ER nurse" and walked away...LOL. I didn't yell or curse, as I live 6 houses down and don't want to start problems. I just stated the truth.

Out of the 3 of us, myself, the dog, and the ER Nurse, there was only one idiot.

And you're right, if I had hit the dog(which being so little and low to the road would have been easy to do) I would have been the bad guy.

It's a sign of the times, no one ever admits to being wrong. If she had said "I'm sorry, it was stupid of me to let the dog out", or "I'm an ER Nurse and just got off a long shift", but I think the "ER nurse" comment was meant to be arrogant, as if no one is going to tell her she is wrong.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:06 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
It almost sounds like she meant, "I'm an ER nurse, I know people skid and get in accidents in the rain." Which makes letting a tiny dog run out in the street in the rain even more inexcusable.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:48 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I've been thinking about this thread title for a few days and thinking about an incident that happened last year when I first moved here.

Down the street, about 1/4 mile, there is a little park I liked to take my dogs to in order to further teach them about sit, (which means sit and stay in our house), come, and all that jazz, on a long line. I wanted to reinforce it since we were in a new environment.

Getting there was a great excuse to go for a walk and get them used to large, loud vehicles driving by, (long ways to go, there...seeing their history).

On our way back one day, I had the boy, dog aggressive boy, that is, walking on leash, on the sidewalk, minding our own business. We passed by a house not too far from my own when a golden retriever came barreling out of his yard at us. We had done nothing to provoke this dog, not entering the yard, my dog did not get all uppity, we didn't even know the damn dog was there. We were on the sidewalk, the public sidewalk, that other dogs and kids and families use.

Knowing my dog is dog aggressive, and trying to teach him that I decide who we fight and that I am there to protect him, I put him behind me and faced the charging golden.

Nonetheless, there are times to retreat a little and this dog literally had us in the middle of the street...there was no other place to go, he demanded his yard, the entire sidewalk for 50 feet each way and even the curbside.

Cars use this street. It's not horribly busy but it's busy enough that cars did have to stop for us.

So, there we are, in the middle of the street, me with my dog behind me, (surprisingly, he stayed behind me...I thought for sure he would be lunging at the end of his leash but I guess he's just all talk most of the time), and this stupid golden kept coming.

I got over being scared and got mad. I didn't yell, but I raised my voice and boomed, "GET THE F BACK!!! NOW!!!!!!" to that golden. It stopped barking for a second or two, the look on its face was surprise and it took a few steps back. It then decided to hold its ground and start up again, but it did not advance. I had to take us all the way across the street, get clear of the golden's perceived area, and then back across the street to the sidewalk to my house.

This dog was in its yard, initially, but, it was not leashed, there was no fencing, there was no owner about to call it off. That is inexcusable to me and now, if I want to walk down that sidewalk to get to the park, (the other side has no sidewalk), I will have to carry a baton and a loud horn.

If a dog comes at us again or attacks us, I will have to smack the crap out of that dog with the baton. I do not want to have to do that. So it infuriates me that anyone would put me in that position.

If you want to let your dog out in the yard, fine. I wasn't in the yard. But, people need to teach their dogs where the damn line is and, if the dog doesn't get it, they need to find a way to restrain the dog or be out there with the dog so that people who are just passing by are not attacked or gone after. I am sick and tired of crappy dog owners.

If I have to hit that dog, while I may be right in the eyes of the law, I will be looked on as the ahole by the owner and anyone else in the neighborhood they choose to tell the story. Plus, I will feel badly afterwards. I do not want to have to smack the crap out of a dog. That irritates me to no end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs