Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:01 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,777,079 times

Advertisements

unfortunatly WUN thts EXACTLYwhy its the majrity ingredint in so many foods, its CHEAP, it adds bulk wihtout adding cost and thanks to the power of advertising, it works for them. i cant tell you how many popele swear by how great *insert well advertised brand* is and i tell them to go grab a bag of ole roy (most people know that stuff is junk at least) and compare the ingredient list to your $50 bag of *insert brand here* the ingredient lists are exactly the same, corn, chicken byproduct ect...your paying for the brand on the bag when it comes down to the majority of grocery store available foods.

I personally feed diamond naturals...theres been a big malarky lately about their salmonella recall, BUT all aside, the cost fits my budget and the ingredient list is a bajillion times better than most with no corn wheet or soy and chicken as the first 2 ingredients (chicken and chicken meal) i wish i coud afford grain free, and i REALY wish i could afford to swith to 100% raw, but budget dictates right now. lol

my dogs do get "healthy" table "scraps" but those scraps are grilled meat of some kind, ect... they do like their lick each from my bowl of oatmeal in the morning after im finnished...they each get 1 lick of the almost empty bowl lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 PM

588 posts, read 1,433,054 times
My dog gets good-quality kibble and then also gets LOTS of peanut butter (the vet wants her to have the extra calories and fat), and some veggies and meat. I don't eat meat, but I buy it every once in a while to feed it to my dog.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,778,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaaayUpNorth View Post
I am thinking of maybe trying Talon on a homemade diet, at least part of the time. Right now she eats just her store bought kibble, and occasionally she will have a "people food" treat like one of my kids extra fish sticks, or today she had a piece of my banana. It's weird because she seems to do better on the cheaper brand dog foods...solid stools, no issues etc. We decided to try her on Pedigree large breed food and ever since she has been on it she has had loose stools at least half the time and a lot of times they are a weird color (like orange or green mainly). I saw part of a show when we were at the animal shelter recently about dogs getting home cooked diets, the people had beagles and gave them a mix of meat/rice/peas. I was wondering if I could try something like this with Talon. I probably wouldn't cook ALL her meals but it might be a nice change for her sometimes. I figured, some people give their dogs table scraps all the time, so it probably couldn't hurt. Just wondering what other people do, as far as giving their dogs home cooked food or scraps.
Once in awhile I slip her something. Other than that it's my understanding that human food is not good for dogs. I had friends who used to give their dogs potato chips pretty regularly.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,290,851 times
Bandit eats a good-quality kibble as his main food. However, he also gets fruits and vegetables on a daily basis -- today he's had frozen green beans and fresh strawberries.

We jokingly call my dog a vegetarian. He's not, of course, but he does love his fruit & veg.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 PM

26 posts, read 82,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Once in awhile I slip her something. Other than that it's my understanding that human food is not good for dogs. I had friends who used to give their dogs potato chips pretty regularly.

Potato chips! Wow! Haha. I know my mom used to feed her dogs table scraps constantly. Probably every meal almost. And they were OBESE. So it probably doesn't hurt once in awhile but definitely not all the time!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,561,445 times
I feed my dogs Wellness Core (Grain free). Then once or twice a week, I will feed them a human grade raw steak or raw fresh organic chicken with bone or turkey neck. I make sure all the meat are fresh. I wish I could feed them raw completely. But I have hard time finding enough good quality meat at affordable price.

Last edited by LingLing; 05-17-2012 at 07:13 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 07:00 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,708,448 times
My vet recommended an ounce of turkey mixed with a couple ounces pure organic canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) as a remedy for diaherra and it works like a charm - unless my boy has a big bug.

Dogs are carnivores and I make sure they get meat a few days a week mixed with "Natural Planet Organic" kibble. They have been on it 2 years and have maintained the recommended body weight for their size. All other brands I tried , they would continue to gain weight. They also like broccli, peas & carrots.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,150,838 times
Our dog is a yellow lab service dog. We feed her chicken, rice and vegtables regularly. We add a little dry dog food (that is also of the chicken rice and veggie variety). Once a week she gets some kind of beef....sometimes cooked and sometimes raw. She also loves bites of whatever fruit we happen to be eating. She is very healthy and happy. No sheding, normal stools and just the right weight. Needless to say for these reasons I am very happy with her diet.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,542,755 times
I feed Wellness Core (just recently switched from Taste of the Wild) - the regular grain free flavor, and my dog gets her pills in chicken breast. I'll also slip her a tiny taste of things, like a tiny bit of cheese if I'm eating pizza, etc. I mean tiny, enough for her to just have a taste. She also likes vegetables, and she gets Zuke's treats that are very meaty.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,958,355 times
I have always shared my food with my dogs.....if they liked it......but only a bite or two.

Well, except when I have spaghetti...... then Lucy gets a bowl of spaghetti in place of one of her two meals of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs