U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:48 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,268,009 times

Advertisements

My dogs are hillarious. There are some foods that they absolutely love to the point of being comical.

When I'm cooking dinner, they usually stay out of the kitchen, except when I'm cutting broccoli! They love broccoli stalks. To them, it's like a treat. They'll sit in the kitchen and calmly stare at me from across the room hoping I'll give them some broccoli. They don't do this with any other food.

When I'm done chopping the crowns off, I'll cut a slice of trunk for each of them. They take it like it's the best treat they've ever had and watching them chew at it is funny too. It's not a huge gulp and it's gone. It's like watching them chew bubblegum---like they're savoring the moment!

What are the strangest foods your dogs love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 08:02 PM

I found a great article that says broccoli helps prevent cancer in dogs!

Add Broccoli to Your Dog’s Food to Help prevent Cancer!

It's a fascinating article. It even explains why crab grass is good for our dogs!

Mine LOVE crab grass!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:04 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,237,154 times
The mini carrots are my dogs favorite thing in the world!...they sit there looking all wide eyed till I drop a few for them...LOL

In the summer I would get an ice-cream cone on occasion and Lady would just sit there in the back seat and wait till I gave her the very bottom of the cone...it was just a teeny piece but she would act like it was the greatest treat!...lol

Abby, LOVES yogurt containers...if she heard my spoon hitting the bottom of the container she knew it was her turn to lick the very last bit out of it!...I don't eat yogurt anymore...so the carrots are her favorites.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:08 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,237,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I found a great article that says broccoli helps prevent cancer in dogs!

Add Broccoli to Your Dog’s Food to Help prevent Cancer!

It's a fascinating article. It even explains why crab grass is good for our dogs!

Mine LOVE crab grass!

Great article!

When my dogs would have an upset tummy I would give them room temp. brown rice and broccoli with a little chicken broth...they loved that too!

The crab grass has a negative effect on my dogs...they always throw up afterwards...

Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
The crab grass has a negative effect on my dogs...they always throw up afterwards...
My dogs actually seek it out when they're sick.

I can't tell you how many times in the middle of the night I've had to wake up to take one of the dogs out because they aren't feeling good and want grass.

Try finding crab grass in a foot of snow while in single digit temperatures at 3:00am!

I can't keep them from it! When they need it, they need out to get it ASAP! LOL

The beagle/basset will literally lick the carpeting in a desperate way when he needs crab grass. He doesn't get sick though. It just helps him with some sort of strange feeling he gets in his throat or something. He has asthma and allergies. Who knows why he needs it.

The labrador eats it to get purposely sick. He does it on purpose. You can see him turning green (not literally) with an urgent look on his face. He wants to vomit. When he gets outside, if it doesn't come right away, he eats the crab grass and that helps it along so he can get to feeling better sooner.

I'm probably the ONLY dog owner who has dogs who ASK to go outside to vomit. They are so well house trained that they won't even throw up inside the house.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
The mini carrots are my dogs favorite thing in the world!...they sit there looking all wide eyed till I drop a few for them...LOL
Oh, mind love carrots too. I don't give them as often because they're not something I keep stocked in the fridge.

Quote:
Abby, LOVES yogurt containers...
Too cute! Yogurt is very healthy too!

My beagle/basset will get an empty 20oz Mt. Dew bottle.

He can take the lids off of them by holding the bottle in his paws and unscrewing it with his mouth.

He'll gently tip it to lick the few drops that are left in the bottle.

It's so funny to watch!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:33 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,400,393 times
Hef likes grass as well. But I think his favorite treat is dried bread!!!Portia hates it, but he LOVES it. They don't like carrots too much, but they LOVE BEANS!!!THEY CRAVE COOKED BEANS!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:26 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,188,497 times
My dog absolutely loves cooked cabbage! You'd think it was filet mignon. Shame that too much gives him gas, we have to go lightly.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:15 PM

9,911 posts, read 9,300,737 times
Our dog, Max, wants to eat anything that we eat. We explain to him that he has his own food and how fortunate he is to have never known hunger. And some dogs have to scrounge and forage for something to eat! Using the old hundreds of kids are hungry in India so clean your plate on him!

We have a large fig tree and as the figs on the lower branches get ripe, Max eats the figs! We also have muscadine vines on the fence hanging down low and he eats those too!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
They don't like carrots too much, but they LOVE BEANS!!!THEY CRAVE COOKED BEANS!!!
OMGoodness! Beans! LOL

Man, I wouldn't want them sleeping with me.

I don't even like my husband sleeping with me after he's eaten beans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r
My dog absolutely loves cooked cabbage!.......Shame that too much gives him gas, we have to go lightly.
My guys love uncooked red cabbage! The gas can be a killer sometimes!

I try not to give them cooked/prepared food because my labrador has a sensitive stomach and can't handle spices too well.

The beagle/basset has a stomach of caste iron though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman
We have a large fig tree and as the figs on the lower branches get ripe, Max eats the figs! We also have muscadine vines on the fence hanging down low and he eats those too!
That reminds me! My labrador will eat tomatoes out of our garden!

He's a nut for tomatoes. If I leave a bowel of them on the counter, he'll finish the bowl (drives me nuts).

The same thing happens with plums. I buy plums and somehow he'll get them before I have them put away.

There was a time when I bought plums three times in a row before I got to eat a plum myself!

He'll never steal food if I'm in the kitchen, but if leave something out by accident, everything's game. I can't leave anything on my counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or