Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 08:28 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,395,597 times

Advertisements

This is my last question about Ringo and Lucy, I promise!

They are doing well together as long as we keep them separated at feeding time - which is easy enough to do.

However, Ringo still does NOT like Lucy up on the couch or in my lap in the chair and gets pissy with her about it. Last evening, Ringo was outside (as is his usual practice) and Lucy was sitting in my lap. Ringo came in and jumped on my lap. Lucy growled at him (not smart) and he got furious with her. If I had not snatched her up in the air . . . feel he could have hurt her. I was NOT going to let them fight in my lap. I almost understood that one because Lucy growled at him when he tried to share my lap.

Usually Ringo sleeps with my son but last night wanted to sleep with me and Lucy. I kept them each on their own side, but this morning, Lucy woke up all happy and kept trying to lick and crawl on Ringo and he let her have it again. Not just a warning growl either. My son ran in and and picked up Ringo and took him into his bed.

I know that elevated spaces are for the top dog .. . . but how long do I have to practice this? Forever?

How should I have handled these situations differently in order to achieve the goal of a calm and peaceful family?

Is the answer just not letting her up on couch when he is around? Usually they are not in bed together unless my son spends the night away so not on the bed together is pretty much a given.

We've tried to practice all we have learned here by treating Ringo as the king (and, yes, he thinks he is the KING); and keeping some things just for him; walks alone and rides in the car . . . . but he is starting to tick me off big time!

Also, I don't think he is feeling great with his skin allergies acting up so maybe that contributed?

Long story short, Ringo puts up with a lot from Lucy trying to bite his ears, nose, crawling all over his face BUT those don't seem to make him mad. He can't stand her on my lap - period. He guards me when he is on my lap and she does the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 08:41 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,953,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This is my last question about Ringo and Lucy, I promise!

They are doing well together as long as we keep them separated at feeding time - which is easy enough to do.

However, Ringo still does NOT like Lucy up on the couch or in my lap in the chair and gets pissy with her about it. Last evening, Ringo was outside (as is his usual practice) and Lucy was sitting in my lap. Ringo came in and jumped on my lap. Lucy growled at him (not smart) and he got furious with her. If I had not snatched her up in the air . . . feel he could have hurt her. I was NOT going to let them fight in my lap. I almost understood that one because Lucy growled at him when he tried to share my lap.

Usually Ringo sleeps with my son but last night wanted to sleep with me and Lucy. I kept them each on their own side, but this morning, Lucy woke up all happy and kept trying to lick and crawl on Ringo and he let her have it again. Not just a warning growl either. My son ran in and and picked up Ringo and took him into his bed.

I know that elevated spaces are for the top dog .. . . but how long do I have to practice this? Forever?

How should I have handled these situations differently in order to achieve the goal of a calm and peaceful family?

Is the answer just not letting her up on couch when he is around? Usually they are not in bed together unless my son spends the night away so not on the bed together is pretty much a given.

We've tried to practice all we have learned here by treating Ringo as the king (and, yes, he thinks he is the KING); and keeping some things just for him; walks alone and rides in the car . . . . but he is starting to tick me off big time!

Also, I don't think he is feeling great with his skin allergies acting up so maybe that contributed?

Long story short, Ringo puts up with a lot from Lucy trying to bite his ears, nose, crawling all over his face BUT those don't seem to make him mad. He can't stand her on my lap - period. He guards me when he is on my lap and she does the same.

oh no ... not the LAST question ..... i love your stories..... some remind me of bailey and dave...... who play and argue like human siblings.....

i think that its just going to take some time for lucy to grow up some more..... sounds like she may still be trying to assert her position in the hierarchy..... once ringo is satisfied that she knows her place... subordinate to him, i suspect it will calm down.....

and if ringo is not feeling all that great, then yeah, i think that can contribute too......

its a good sign that he is being patient and putting up with her playful puppy behavior........

Old 12-26-2009, 08:54 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,395,597 times
Ha ha. It's NEVER the last question is it?

I think you might be right about her asserting her position. Lately, she will try to jump in front of ringo when I am handing out treats; and tries to nose him out of his water bowl when he is taking a drink. Maybe that is why things seem like they are stirring up again. I don't treat her first when she does that; but she still tries.

I pray for patience on a daily basis and would love to slip some Valium into each of their water bows. And perhaps my coffee cup. And my teen-ager's ice tea if I really think about it.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,616,889 times
Neither one should be allowed on the couch or bed until they calm down and don't go at each other. Also, you can try to reinforce his alpha posiiton, but the truth is the dogs will work it out themselves with little input from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs