U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:35 PM

4,557 posts, read 12,073,043 times

Advertisements

I can remember growing up with dogs through the years, of course back then dogs were free to roam all day while people were at work or school, then they were too tired to chew anything when they got home. Now we take much better care of our furkids, and don't let them out unsupervised.

You wrote:
If I am upstairs working and she goes downstairs in the living room during he day (she has free reign of the house as I do not believe in tyeing up/confining a dog) she will find something to chew on, caught her with the remote yesturday, and is so quiet about it! They funny thing is that she knows it is wrong because when I do catch her chewing, she drops what ever it is before I say a thing and PUTS HER SELF IN A CORNER! LOL. I kid you not! We do not hit her of course, but tell her "no, no, no" while holding the chewed object up for her to see. As I said, she is smart, I know she knows what we mean

Actually, she doesn't know what you mean, and you don't have to say a word for her to know that something is wrong. Dogs read posture more than they understand the human language. It's how they get along in life--every nuance means something-every ear set, tail set, stance, expression. And she has learned to read body language, god knows she's probably been dealing with being "a problem dog" her entire life.

First, remember that this is a young dog who is suddenly in a completely new environment. Changes are stressful to dogs, especially if they have the run of the house. Where is her "safe spot", the place where she can go when she feels anxious? The place that hers and hers alone?

You got her from rescue--there is a reason that someone gave her up. Someone probably loved her but just couldn't deal with the chewing and messing any longer...

Did you know that crates save lives! How?
Well, Trixie is now what, a year old? Let's say 7 or 8 months go by, and these bad habits haven't gotten any better. What's next? You dearly love her but just can't afford to buy any more new shoes, or deal with holes in the carpet, woodwork, stained rugs from messing, etc. So with many tears, back she goes to the shelter. What chance does she have to get re-adopted? A problem dog who chews and messes. The competition for new homes is a bunch of cute puppies that have not had a year or more to develop BAD HABITS. With proper use of a crate, your relationship with her will be so much more rewarding. No frustration at the chewed items. You wouldn't leave a 2-year old unsupervised in another area of the house, yet we do it with our dogs, and expect them to just NOT chew, pee or poop.

I have an excellent writeup on crate training here: The DogDaze Page

Remember, you are not a dog, you don't have the same instincts as dogs. I know it's a hard choice to make, but as "pack leader", try to think of it from her point of view.. it's kind of hard for dogs to see things from a people perspective!

Good luck with things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 AM

4,557 posts, read 12,073,043 times
Default Tibetian Terriers

Just wanted to mention something else. If Trixie is mostly terrier, having some Tibetan Terrier would make her LESS of a terrier. Tibbies are terrier in name only, not in bloodline, temperment, coat type or tenacity. They are actually a herding breed, much like a puli (just about the same size, body type and tail set) If she actually is TT and not a true terrier, this may make her a bit easier to train down the road. APBT's and AmStafs are one of the few "people pleasing" terriers out there, most are incredibly strong-willed and tenacious...

Old 09-25-2007, 03:08 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,027,547 times
Great info folks, Thank you!
Good point on the "spot of her own" ValerieC. Yes she has a bed and an extra bowl of water by it and her place for her toys in our bedroom. It is kind of cornered off so even though it is a large area, it is still closed in enough that she feels snuggled in there.
So far so good with the chew bone's. She hasn't even tried to chew on anything else and seems very happy with our choice in toys for her. We are finding that she is MUCH smarter than we thought. she just catches on to what we are talking about and already learning words like "car" "out back" verses "out front" "go to bed" and other such phrase she is appropriately reacting too. She is just amazing!
And no worries, NOTHING would cause us to bring her back to the shelter, she is already part of our family and just like one of our children, and we wouldn't bring them back even though some days we would like too LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs