Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

1st I be taking her to another vet! 2nd they could try splinting! They would have to pull the leg til the bones pop into place & x-Ray to make sure then wrap/cast the leg.... Kinda Drastic cutting a Healthy leg off just for broken bone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 02:33 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Google 'Funds to help pay vet bills" as I know there are some groups out there that will help people that can not pay vet bills, Maybe you can find one that can help. As others have said some vets will work with you, helps if you already have a good relationship with the vet.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:37 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
Got any gold laying around?? What's more important than your best friend. ???? Yikes. They will give you cash on the spot

Great idea! Sell your gold jewelry if you have any! I did it a few months ago to pay a vet bill.

How old are you? Can you do some odd jobs around the neighborhood, for your friends and their parents? Wash cars! SOMETHING!!!! Do you have a regular vet that you can discuss a payment plan with?

Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,344 times
First of all, before you consider selling off your funiture, the house, kids..beg people for money, etc, think about it. If you truly..truly just cannot afford an expensive surgery, it's best to surrender the dog to a shelter, rescue, etc if they will pay for the surgery. If not, and you cannot find someone to take him..well.....

Look, I dont know your situation. But if you dont have disposable income like that to use for the dog, then you probably dont have it for anything else. What if your car broke down, etc? People wont like this answer, but if you sell of half the stuff you have to pay for a surgery for a 10 year old dog, what happens when your car dies next month and you need $800 to fix that?? You never realize how much you depend on a car until you lose the use of one.

Your situation sucks, i know. But before you go selling off your stuff and begging for money from people, you have to be a realist about the situation. You are going to go into even deeper debt(that you dont have money for)for a 10 yr old dog. Sorry, that may seem harsh, but in times like that where you just dont have money, you have to make realistic choices. If you are going to call on your friends for something, you better save them for when your kid gets sick and your insurance doesnt cover all the bills, etc. Not your dog. sorry. Its not that i have a cold heart, but when you live paycheck to paycheck (IF..IF..that is your situation) then you HAVE to look at it like that. It's easy for people to sit up here and make you feel guilty.

Now..for those of you that are going to hiss and spit at me..WAIT. Since you think someone should dig themselves deeper and deeper into a hole even if they dont have money... I suggest this. Have the OP set up an account, and you all send donations to that account for the dog. Just wire money to the account. I mean, since you feel so strongly about it and all.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:42 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post

If you are going to call on your friends for something, you better save them for when your kid gets sick and your insurance doesnt cover all the bills, etc. Not your dog. sorry. Its not that i have a cold heart, but when you live paycheck to paycheck (IF..IF..that is your situation) then you HAVE to look at it like that. It's easy for people to sit up here and make you feel guilty.

Now..for those of you that are going to hiss and spit at me..WAIT. Since you think someone should dig themselves deeper and deeper into a hole even if they dont have money... I suggest this. Have the OP set up an account, and you all send donations to that account for the dog. Just wire money to the account. I mean, since you feel so strongly about it and all.
I suspect the OP is most likely a minor, given it's his/her parents making the decisions about the dog.

But your last suggestion is a good one. I sometimes see ads on Craig's List asking for people to help them pay their vet bill by sending money directly to the vet. Worth a try.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
Quote:
But if you dont have disposable income like that to use for the dog, then you probably dont have it for anything else. What if your car broke down, etc? People wont like this answer, but if you sell of half the stuff you have to pay for a surgery for a 10 year old dog, what happens when your car dies next month and you need $800 to fix that?? You never realize how much you depend on a car until you lose the use of one.
I'm the one who posted that I would beg from my friends if I had to, and I mean that. I would. But I can't fault at all the sensibleness of your comment here and the others who suggested surrender to a rescue organization. The larger point I'd been trying to make in my post was that I CERTAINLY would not euthanize a dog over a broken leg simply because I didn't have the wherewithal to pay for the medical care the dog needed. That seems inhumane. There have to be alternatives to killing the animal.

Quote:
No hissing and spitting about your sensible comments up above, but this last bit just seems snide. On the other hand, sure OP...post your vet's address. I'll be happy send $20 to them to contribute to your dog's medical bills.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,097 times
OMG! All good advice. I am sure the vet will work out a payment plan....maybe even volunteer in the office when you can. Also, if one of my friends we in your shoes I would def donate some money for the cause. There are a few people I would have put to sleep over a broken leg, but NEVER a dog, with their unconditional love. Like someone else mentioned, check with the humane society or the poodle rescue, I'm sure they can help with money or other ways! You dont say how old you are? are you teenage/college age? Female? If so, get your best girlfriends out there and look all cute and do a car wash! Bake some cookies and cakes and sell them. Stand in front of the grocery stores (like girl scouts do) and take up a collection with your story and a big picture of the pooch! So many people are animal lovers...you will be surprised how many and how much people are willing to help! Have people make out checks directly to the Dr. I for one would be willing to help in that way. Have a big summertime party / pool party/ beach bon fire and tell everyone a donation is requested/required.
Put an ad in the want ads of your local paper telling the story,and a photo of the dog and the xray.THEY WILL COME! Are you on Facebook? There is a HUGE resource. But you must set up an account of some sort.. or the name and address to the vet. Some people are skeptical of just handing over cash! Good luck. Keep us posted, and let me know what I can do to help! Sorry this is so long!

Old 06-01-2012, 08:11 PM

Last Activity: Yesterday 06:30 PM

Seems she came posted this thread then Left! Has not been back! Me Thinks TROLL!!

Old 06-01-2012, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,097 times
LOL... Lets hope not Katie...for the dog's sake!

Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refocusing View Post
LOL... Lets hope not Katie...for the dog's sake!
X-Ray makes it seem real.... I still trying to figure out how she posted the X-Ray. Anyway the Advice is still good for others with unexpected vet bills! I just glad I have a vet that cares! He will still let me charge esp in an emergancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs