U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM

5,700 posts, read 8,299,121 times

Advertisements

Today I bought a doggie seat belt for my dog, partially because I'm afraid of an accident, but also because with her polyarthritis she'd be more comfortable being able to lay down on the backseat. I had been having her in the front passenger seat in the car, because she's too light to turn on the air bag sensor and so that airbag is off (plus I kinda liked having her there).

But I wonder - the side airbags in the back are NOT off. So, maybe it's safer for her to be in the front passenger seat after all? That doesn't solve the problem of giving her a safe place to stretch out, though. What do you think?

She's not crazy about both the seat belt or sitting in the back, lol. She seemed like she felt she'd been shunned
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:42 PM

448 posts, read 717,255 times
Wish I could help. I just purchased a doggie seatbelt because we will be driving cross country and I don't have the room to put him into a dog crate. Not sure if he is going to like it but I figured his discomfort is much better than him being thrown through a window if we happen to have an accident.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 PM

893 posts, read 2,459,632 times
Hi
We have had a cocker in the house for the last 20 years, when we started traveling with the first one we bought a seat belt harness for her , she did well with it..Our second one was with us when we were
fulltimming in our rv, Max put in about 40,000 of travel before he passed an always wore the harness except on short trips around town..The dogs were safe while riding could lay down sit up and look out the window and when it was potty brake time we just snapped on the lead to the harness.
They never minded it and we always felt better with them secured in it..Our current cocker only
goes and short trips and rides in the dog cage in back ..We are done traveling.
I would highly recommend a harness.
Hope this makes since
Safe travels

Old 06-02-2012, 05:42 AM

Yeah I figure I could still use the seat belt, but maybe in the front seat instead of the back seat...but then she can't really stretch out...I was thinking that if the side airbag opened in an accident that would be awful for her in the back, and the front airbag won't open in the front since she hasn't set it off.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 AM

6,591 posts, read 19,777,789 times
if you cant turn off the side impact airbags put her in the middle of the back seat in terms of clips.
I let mine ride up frnt but only because i can turn off the airbag in front but theres usually side impact damage to the front seat too. generally the biggest risk is the front impact airbags though. the sideimpact airbags will generaly give em a bit of a bruise but will "push" them over to the side, whereas front impact airbags push them into a solid surfact thatis the back of the seat their on.

if ive got everyone in the car the cresties travel in thier own carseat in the front seat (booster seat with seatbelts) and Dozer gets the middle seat in the back.
If ive just got dozer in the car he travels in the front seat. more for comfort and convenience. the front seat however is NOT safe if you cant turn off (or if you dnt have a weight sensitive) airbag and the back seat would be the safest place in that case.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:01 AM

I think I need to get a better seat belt, or a better extender - she has so little mobility that I think it's even worse for her joints/hips (this bartonella infection may or may not be gone, will retest soon...but the clinical signs of polyarthritis remain).

Old 06-03-2012, 04:16 PM

19,632 posts, read 53,495,108 times
A dog in a safety harness clipped to the seat belt is MUCH safer for both you and the dog in case of accident. They can become flying objects, killing themselves and maybe hurting you very badly. I would also vote for the middle seat but I have had my front airbags inflate in an accident and it was not painful. Of course, I was the proper distance from the steering wheel.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,129,335 times
Go to the dealer and ask to see the SRS techincal specs for force and position for all the airbags. It will show you how far and at what force each airbag will deploy. Airbags positioned "infront" of the seat are designed to prevent you smashing into the dash or seatback. They deploy fast and with some force.

The front ones deploy the fastest and hardest the rears less so, The side airbags are designed to keep your face from getting personal with the side of the car AND to keep your head inside the car. Thats why they are called curtains because they look more like a air mattress than a beach ball when deployed. Due to the way we flop around, the front airbags are big and powerful to make sure it stops a person. The rears are more to just keep your face off the headrest and are much smaller than the fronts.

A dog sitting on the back seat, strapped into a seat belt pet harness probably will not come into contact with a deploying rear seat airbag except for maybe banging into it. In the front seat, they probably will come into contact with them during deployment due just to the size (and how far its designed to reach into the cabin) of those airbags. No matter what, the side curtains wont cause much harm if deployed.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:16 PM

So today I had a long road trip w/the dog and belted her in the front (air bag is off), and double looped the seat belt extender so it wasn't too long. It worked out great except she was very stiff...so I think the back seat might still be better so she can fully stretch out if she wants. I definitely want to make sure she's secured though. If I had a more crate friendly car I'd use the crate (oh to have that Honda Fit I want).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs