Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:22 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,162 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, I have had issues with the neighbors dogs for quite some time now. Their golden retrievers mauled and killed my chi back in may. We put up a fence for the safety of our jack russell so that she would be safe. Well, these dogs are driving me nuts again and here is why....

-For the past week, my dog has been barking in the middle of the night. I actually opened the door last night and saw one of the retrievers in my back yard. He dug under the fence and got in there. Me, trying to be nice, did not call the neighbor because it was around 2:30am in the morning. I opened the gate and shoo'd the dog out. My husband will have to fix the hole after he gets home form work today. (Giddy is spayed so I have no idea why he wanted in the back yard so badly)

-I can't get any sleep at night because of my dog barking. She's only doing this to warn us that something is outside.

-I'm sick and tired of nothing being done about this! I called animal patrol this morning and they said they would send an officer over but if they dogs are not in my yard, there is nothing they can do. Now understand that I have filed a report with them after their dogs mauled my dog back in May.

-This is causing friction with our relationship with the neighbors. Not only are they neighbors, they are also my husband's family.

I left a message for them concerning their dogs this morning and no one has called me back yet.

I am so frustrated. I mean, the dog didn't try to harm me or anything when I removed him from the fence this morning. However, I am not so trusting when it comes to them ever since they killed my dog. I realize that it is not THEIR FAULT that they have irresponsible owners. However, I am at my wits end!

Last edited by usc_gal98; 12-02-2008 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,217 times
Family or not say something and say last warning! No reason these dogs running loose at night or destroying your property. Send them a invisible fence picture for Christmas maybe they can take a hint.

My neighbors doing same as work swing shift let dogs out at 11:30 pm and let run loose.They come crap in my yard. My dogs are fenced in. They have a staffie which is usually nice but when I go out thing runs at me barking. I told her she is wrong as leash law here and on my property if thing looks like going to bite I will break it's neck. During deer season last week almost stuck it as came at me but quick boot in jaw it ran home as she watched and could not control dog. I have told them and their family that brought them up here if do not start leashing up or keeping under control will turn them in and know do not have tags so will be fined first time.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:34 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
As some of you know, I have had issues with the neighbors dogs for quite some time now. Their golden retrievers mauled and killed my chi back in may. We put up a fence for the safety of our jack russell so that she would be safe. Well, these dogs are driving me nuts again and here is why....

-For the past week, my dog has been barking in the middle of the night. I actually opened the door last night and saw one of the retrievers in my back yard. He dug under the fence and got in there. Me, trying to be nice, did not call the neighbor because it was around 2:30am in the morning. I opened the gate and shoo'd the dog out. My husband will have to fix the hole after he gets home form work today. (Giddy is spayed so I have no idea why he wanted in the back yard so badly)

-I can't get any sleep at night because of my dog barking. She's only doing this to warn us that something is outside.

-I'm sick and tired of nothing being done about this! I called animal patrol this morning and they said they would send an officer over but if they dogs are not in my yard, there is nothing they can do. Now understand that I have filed a report with them after their dogs mauled my dog back in May.

-This is causing friction with our relationship with the neighbors. Not only are they neighbors, they are also my husband's family.

I left a message for them concerning their dogs this morning and no one has called me back yet.

I am so frustrated. I mean, the dog didn't try to harm me or anything when I removed him from the fence this morning. However, I am not so trusting when it comes to them ever since they killed my dog. I realize that it is not THEIR FAULT that they have irresponsible owners. However, I am at my wits end!
I feel sorry for those dogs having owners like that. I would tell you maybe they are trying to tell you to adopt them, they like it better at your house! I do not know what I would do in your case, it is a catch 22. I would think of those dogs safety first, those owners last. I see it around here where I live. I cannot even walk any of my dogs on a leash. There are loose dogs all over. I have a sweet, very dirty pit that stops by my house and the neighbors house every weekend or so. He does not want to eat so he must have a home. He seems to be good with my neighbors dog but when he comes by my fence my dogs do not like him. So I cannot walk any of my dogs now. Stupid owners!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:29 PM

83 posts, read 290,165 times
The next time the dog digs its way into your back yard take it to the pound. Let them go pay the fine to get it back. Maybe they will realize you are serious and keep their dogs on THEIR property.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Sorry, I don't know the back story. Why do they still have the dogs after they killed yours? Did you report the incident in May?

Get an animal trap for overnight and call animal control when you catch the dog/s. Sorry, but these dogs are clearly dangerous and their owners are oblivious. Do yourself and the rest of the neighbors a favor and have animal control pick them up. Too bad, golden retrievers can be such great dogs. Your husband may need to man up and tell his family what happened if they come around asking if you have seen their dogs.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Family or not, I would not tolerate such irresponsible neighbors. I would inform them, in no uncertain terms, that if you find their dog in your yard again you will have animal control remove the dog and they can pay the fine and fees to get their dog back. There is absolutely no excuse for not controlling their pets, whether they are home or not.

To keep my dogs from digging under my fence I use chicken-wire. Staple the chicken-wire about half-way up the base of the fence, and bury the other half under the ground. I use drainage rock to bury the chicken-wire, but regular dirt is just fine. Dogs will not dig through the chicken-wire.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:28 PM

371 posts, read 938,306 times
Shame the dogs have such a non caring owner...Some folks should not be allowed to own pets at all...

Old 12-02-2008, 03:32 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
I'm so sorry that happened to your chi...but can you keep your dog inside?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:09 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I'm so sorry that happened to your chi...but can you keep your dog inside?
They shouldn't have to keep their dog inside all the time because other people's dogs are wild. It doesn't seem fair, no dog wants to be cooped up all day in a house and never let outside.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:48 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
They shouldn't have to keep their dog inside all the time because other people's dogs are wild. It doesn't seem fair, no dog wants to be cooped up all day in a house and never let outside.
Not all the time, but maybe at night? The OP's dog is a small dog - a jack russell - there can be a lot of dangers for a small dog left alone outside at night (raccoons are just one). Just to avoid a repeat of the earlier incident, I would not want to leave my dog alone in the yard .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs