Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:20 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,154,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
My husband gets the pleasure of bathing Goldie. He bathes her in our bathroom. She doesn't like getting a bath and we usually have to bribe her in with a treat or just go catch her and carry. Once she's in however, she will remain still until we're done.

The Vet handles the trimming of her nails (free of charge). When we first got her, he was bathing her 1-2x per month but the Vet said that we shouldn't bathe her that often. She likes to play out in the backyard which is rather large and she loves to dig. After a few days she has that doggie odor which I hate, but the Vet said that the more you bathe them the more their bodies will excrete that odor. Since he cut down on the bathing, the smell seems to be subsiding and not as prevelant. She itches a lot and I see a lot of you use an Oatmeal shampoo - does that help with the itching? I talked to her Vet but they just gave her a shot which only proved to be a temporary fix. Something seems to irritate her and I don't know if it's in the carpet or outdoors, but she itches all the time (no fleas).

We took her to a boarder when we went out of town and they said that she didn't scratch or itch the entire time she was there. The areas where she had scratched raw, were healing after being with the boarder for 2 weeks.

Any suggestions, other than the Oatmeal? Do mosquitos bite dogs - could this be it?
You said you talked to your vet about it, so I'm assuming she doesn't have some kind of skin infection. Does she have any allergies to food, grass, etc?

As you said, it's not good to bathe your dog more than once a month or so, because it drys their skin out. Using an oatmeal shampoo does help a bit because it's really gentle, but even if you use an oatmeal shampoo, if you bath your dog too often, their skin will probably still end up getting dried out. Obviously, sometimes you have to bathe your dog more often because dogs get into a lot of stuff! We own three APBTs and they are prone to skin problems as it is, plus we take our dogs to the beach a lot and we end up at least rinsing them off when we get home so that the salt water doesn't dry their skin out. We got this bath oil spray from our vet to make sure their skin stays nice and moisturized. The bottle says..

Quote:
HyLyt Bath Oil with essential fatty acids Hypoallergenic spray or rinse bath oil/ coat conditioner with natural moisturizing factors.
Product Description: A gentle, hypoallergenic formulation to replenish skin following or in between bathing. Natural moisturizing factors and essential fatty acids for conditioning of haircoat and re-nourishment of skin. Indications: After rinse for improved luster and sheen of haircoat. Aids in control of flaking and scaling by normalizing keratin.
Directions for use: Shake well before use. Use HyLyt Bath Oil as a spray or rinse to restore proper moisture to skin immediately following medicated or routine shampooing.
Anyway, if your dog doesn't have a skin infection or some kind of allergies that would be making her itch like that, maybe her skin is just dried out? Since using the spray we got from our vet we haven't had any problems with their skin. We use an oatmeal shampoo and then use the spray and they have all been doing great, even after playing around in salt water all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 01:24 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,572,118 times
[quote=PitBullMommie1206;1673870]You said you talked to your vet about it, so I'm assuming she doesn't have some kind of skin infection. Does she have any allergies to food, grass, etc? This stupid vet just says she's probably allergic to something (i.e. maybe the carpet freshner or something in the grass outside). We're going to pull the carpet up and replace with tile in the next month or so, we'll see what happens. Needless to say she (vet) merely wanted to give her a shot every other week @ $40 a pop. The boarder vet said that the shot is only a temporary solution to another underlying problem. He said he would keep an eye on her that 2 weeks she was boarded to see if she scratched, which she didn't. I called him 2 days after we returned to tell him that she was scratching again. He said that he'd be more than happy to take a look at her to try and diagnose what she is allergic too, but he recommended we wait until getting the tile installed, because his first impression is it's something in the carpet. He's a very nice gentleman, I think I'll switch to him for our regular vet even though he's more expensive than the current one.

I'm going to get some oatmeal shampoo for her next bath and see if that works. Thanks for your help

Old 10-07-2007, 03:06 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,154,470 times
[quote=ayannaaaliyah;1674297]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
You said you talked to your vet about it, so I'm assuming she doesn't have some kind of skin infection. Does she have any allergies to food, grass, etc? This stupid vet just says she's probably allergic to something (i.e. maybe the carpet freshner or something in the grass outside). We're going to pull the carpet up and replace with tile in the next month or so, we'll see what happens. Needless to say she (vet) merely wanted to give her a shot every other week @ $40 a pop. The boarder vet said that the shot is only a temporary solution to another underlying problem. He said he would keep an eye on her that 2 weeks she was boarded to see if she scratched, which she didn't. I called him 2 days after we returned to tell him that she was scratching again. He said that he'd be more than happy to take a look at her to try and diagnose what she is allergic too, but he recommended we wait until getting the tile installed, because his first impression is it's something in the carpet. He's a very nice gentleman, I think I'll switch to him for our regular vet even though he's more expensive than the current one.

I'm going to get some oatmeal shampoo for her next bath and see if that works. Thanks for your help
Yeah, if the one vet isn't even trying to help, I would suggest that you go to another vet. That's ridiculous that the vet wouldn't even try to find out what she's having a reaction to! Does she mess with her paws, like chew on them or anything like that? Our male, Brooklyn, would chew on his paws all of the time, nothing bad, it was just like they were itching. We figured it probably had to do with something outside or maybe even food allergies, so we switched him to a dog food that's good for dogs with food allergies, but that didn't help. So then we just started wiping his paws off every single time he comes in from outside and that has seemed to help a lot. I think he has allergies to grass. If her paws seem to be bothering her, wiping them off like that might help a bit, but I don't know what you could do to help her to stop itching all over? Changing the carpet is probably a good idea too. People were telling us that Brooklyn was probably having a reaction to the carpet or something in or on the carpet, but like I said, now that we have been wiping his paws off after he has been in the grass, that has helped a lot. There are quite a few things that your dog could be having a reaction to, you will just have to try to figure out what it is! If it's not the carpet, it could be some kind of food allergy, an allergy to something outside like grass or maybe she could just have dry skin?

Since that vet didn't want to help you out, maybe you could find some info on the internet to help you figure out exactly what it is. This website might be helpful.. Itch and Scratch: Common Skin Problems in Dogs at ThePetCenter.com

Anyway, I hope the other vet will be more helpful and I hope you figure out what's going on! Good luck!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:55 PM

5,323 posts, read 18,210,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
My husband gets the pleasure of bathing Goldie. He bathes her in our bathroom. She doesn't like getting a bath and we usually have to bribe her in with a treat or just go catch her and carry. Once she's in however, she will remain still until we're done.

The Vet handles the trimming of her nails (free of charge). When we first got her, he was bathing her 1-2x per month but the Vet said that we shouldn't bathe her that often. She likes to play out in the backyard which is rather large and she loves to dig. After a few days she has that doggie odor which I hate, but the Vet said that the more you bathe them the more their bodies will excrete that odor. Since he cut down on the bathing, the smell seems to be subsiding and not as prevelant. She itches a lot and I see a lot of you use an Oatmeal shampoo - does that help with the itching? I talked to her Vet but they just gave her a shot which only proved to be a temporary fix. Something seems to irritate her and I don't know if it's in the carpet or outdoors, but she itches all the time (no fleas).

We took her to a boarder when we went out of town and they said that she didn't scratch or itch the entire time she was there. The areas where she had scratched raw, were healing after being with the boarder for 2 weeks.

Any suggestions, other than the Oatmeal? Do mosquitos bite dogs - could this be it?
When she was being boarded, did she eats the kennel's food or did you bring your own? Her allergy could be food related if they fed theirs and not yours.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 AM

18,084 posts, read 11,701,842 times
I love it when after the dogs are finished bathing that they are so HAPPY!!!
The run around Happily; they survived the bath! I love the way they behave
after it's over. :-)

Old 10-08-2007, 04:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,359,288 times
How do I bathe my dogs? -- With a hose, from a distance. Either that, or I take them swimming in a nearby river when I go fishing during the summer.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:27 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,155,106 times
Default Bathtime for AJ & Sunny

They're only 15 & 20 lbs. I put them in the bathtub and use a hand-held shower attachment. AJ is prone to allergic dermatitis, so I started using a shampoo called "Tropiclean," with oatmeal & tea tree oil. Works great!

When it's warm out, which is most of the time in Florida, they go for a walk to dry off. But, when it's cool or too humid, they get blow-dried, which they LOVE! Guess it's like the wind in their face out the car window?

Old 10-09-2007, 05:28 AM

859 posts, read 2,142,320 times
Our Boxer gets one when he starts stinkin,,, or 2 a year. Sometime in between IF he gets into something.

Schatzi my Maltese gets one every 2-3 weeks, Sometimes I bit more when its muddy out, bein she LOVES rolling in it.
I tried blow dryin her but she just shaked so bad, so she goes all natruel

I agree after they get *OUT* from the tub, they both act like *Whew I made it ...look I made it !*
its sooooooo funny.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,455,096 times
We baby sat three dogs last week and one of them must have had fleas because Chelsea is allergic to fleas and broke out in a rash on her belly and back legs. This morning I found fleas on her and knew I had the dreaded task of giving her a bath. We both hate bath time, she hates it and struggles the whole time and by the time we are done, I am exhausted and she is mad at me for the rest of the day. This time I popped a Smash Mouth CD into my portable player, put it on a shelf over the sink and it was as if the music calmed her down or my singing along with the song did. All I know is I was not tired and she only fidgeted a little and did not stay mad at me all day.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:30 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,895,019 times
I had always used the utitlity room sink for my dachshund but then we moved and our new house only has divided sinks! Unless I only want to wash half of him (front or back) at a time, this doesn't work. It hurts my back and knees to use the bathtub to now I take him to a local petfood store that has a self-wash area and bathe him there. It costs about $12, I can choose from their shampoos, leave hair all over their sink and dry with their drier. He gets a little bandana to wear when we are done and we both enjoy the social interaction!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs