U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:11 PM

1,311 posts, read 5,998,280 times

Advertisements

Since you have covered A LOT of ground in two pages, I show my agreements with everyone. IMO, PBM, I agree it's not allergies, but richnes or lack of adjustments to food. Green IMO is usally means too rich or not being digested properly.

That said, NB can be a good brand in my aspects. I usually encourage Canidae or Solid Gold. Canidae is my personal fave, but that's me. I have read many many good things about Solid Gold and Evo is a really neat way at approaching dog food as more protein based, but I believe Evo is better for more active dogs. IMO here!!! If I am not mistaken, Evo is also one of the more expensive brands. If you want to really go natural, just go raw: Oma's Pride Home Great resource to learn for your own knowledge, PBM even if you don't go that route. I know many people who go with Oma's pride and never went back. Kind of like those posters on here who make their own dog food too. I like Oma because you can pick and choose what ever you want for dog or cat, what meats, bones, vitamins, anything. It's a reasonable pricing too, but I wonder if that has to do with location too. You will have to research this on your own there.

To recap, I would choose Canidae or Solid Gold. There's also EAgle Pack, but try Canidae first. You may have to adjust their food for a long time before you find the brand that works for the pups.

On the side, I just changed my cats to Holistic Select from the Eagle Pack Brand and it's worked great for my cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,463,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmc2007 View Post
Wh we also do is feed our dogs 1 time a day which is dinner. we give them the food and they have 20 min to eat it. If they dont it gets picked up. What people often do, not saying you do, but some people leave the kibble down all day long... What the dog does is then grazes, sure they only eat when they are hungry but they have stomach acids going all day digesting food. If you need to and feel better, feed them twice a day but small portions then, since your feeding twice.

This is advice from our vets.. also I give my dogs EVO (extra vig olive oil) about twice a week in thier food and brewers yeast tablets as treats.
We feed our dogs 2 times a day, and we feed them around the same time everyday. They each get their set amount of food for their first meal, in the morning at around 7:30am or so, then they each get their set amount of food for their second meal, in the evening at around 7:30pm or so.

At meal time I put them all in their crates and then I go get their food prepared. Once it's ready I bring them their food and they eat in their crates. They really have 30 minutes to eat what they are going to eat, but it has never taken them that long before. They all eat all of their food within a couple minutes. If, for whatever reason, they didn't eat all of their food within 30 minutes, we would take their food and they would have to wait until their next meal. But again, that has never happened.

But yeah, we don't leave their food out for them all day, and again, when they eat, they eat in their crates. We couldn't leave food out for them if we wanted to! lol! Both of our girls, Destiny and Jayda, always act like they have never seen food before. I think it has a lot to do with how they were treated before we took them in. Because I know it's not that they are hungry. With each of our dogs we started out feeding them what the guidelines on the dog food bag said to feed them according to their weight. Then we added more as we needed to, until we figured out the exact amount each of our dogs needs to be eating. So, we know they aren't starving! lol! But because they act like they are dieing every time they see food, and because our male, Brooklyn, takes his time eating, if we fed them outside of their crates, the girls would finish eating and then go try to eat Brooklyn's food. And Brooklyn does not like that at all! So like I said, we couldn't leave food out even if we wanted to.

What does the EVO do for dogs? I haven't ever heard about that? We add some organic, plain yogurt, with all of the active cultures in it, in with their food a couple times a week, and that seems to help them with their tummies. And instead of giving them a lot of treats all of the time, we will give them baby carrots as treats sometimes. We work with them on training for at least a few minutes everyday. They definitely aren't perfect, but they are all very well trained, so it's not really like they need to be trained. But we think that it's a fun way for them to have to work for their treats and for us to be able to spend some quality time with them. So, instead of just using a bunch of treats, we will use some baby carrots and them some treats, and switch off like that for every few treats. And the treats that we get them shouldn't be hard on their tunnies, I don't think anyway. We get them all natural, fresh baked, doggy cookies from our local pet store. They are these cute little cookies that have peanut butter chunks and doggy safe chocolate chips. We are pretty picky about what we feed our fur babies! lol!

As I said in previous posts, we started feeding them Canidae a while back and they have done wonderful on it! I'm not sure if they were having some kind of reaction to something in the Natural Balance, if it was just taking them a while to get adjusted to it, or what, but they do great on Canidae. And they like it just as much, if not more, than thy liked Natural Balance. We haven't had any problems with lose or slimy stool, they don't chew on their paws like they use to, and they just look and act so much better!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:20 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,463,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Since you have covered A LOT of ground in two pages, I show my agreements with everyone. IMO, PBM, I agree it's not allergies, but richnes or lack of adjustments to food. Green IMO is usally means too rich or not being digested properly.

That said, NB can be a good brand in my aspects. I usually encourage Canidae or Solid Gold. Canidae is my personal fave, but that's me. I have read many many good things about Solid Gold and Evo is a really neat way at approaching dog food as more protein based, but I believe Evo is better for more active dogs. IMO here!!! If I am not mistaken, Evo is also one of the more expensive brands. If you want to really go natural, just go raw: Oma's Pride Home Great resource to learn for your own knowledge, PBM even if you don't go that route. I know many people who go with Oma's pride and never went back. Kind of like those posters on here who make their own dog food too. I like Oma because you can pick and choose what ever you want for dog or cat, what meats, bones, vitamins, anything. It's a reasonable pricing too, but I wonder if that has to do with location too. You will have to research this on your own there.

To recap, I would choose Canidae or Solid Gold. There's also EAgle Pack, but try Canidae first. You may have to adjust their food for a long time before you find the brand that works for the pups.

On the side, I just changed my cats to Holistic Select from the Eagle Pack Brand and it's worked great for my cats.
Thanks for the post. Like I said in my last post, we have been feeding them Canidae for several month now and they are doing great! I'm not sure what was going on before, but they are doing so much better! We are definitely going to keep them on Canidae. It has been the best food for them, by far, and they love it!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:31 PM

1,311 posts, read 5,998,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Thanks for the post. Like I said in my last post, we have been feeding them Canidae for several month now and they are doing great! I'm not sure what was going on before, but they are doing so much better! We are definitely going to keep them on Canidae. It has been the best food for them, by far, and they love it!
oh, my bad. I thought you were still in the trying process.cheers!

Old 01-07-2008, 02:33 PM

279 posts, read 1,053,894 times
The Evo is mostly meat, venison, beef, buffalo etc...and for soem reason it really just worked for Duchess, her coat got thick and healthy silky, soft. ANd for a rotti that is tough because thier hair has these barbs on it so it is very coarse and stick to everything. She doesnt shed like she used to, I mean her coat would literally fall and she would be bald in her hind nub area, her ears are clean, and no eye snot.. In act her vet was glad that she didnt need to have her (glands cleaned out)-- bleccht!!! she got a great report card form the vet last Sat so we are keeping her on it.
Not to toss another brand at ya, but we give the Newmens Own to our cats (all 4) and mix it with the Chicken Soup brand, but they tend to eat Duchess Evo as well, so we mix it for them and they have great coats, skin etc as well...

Old 01-08-2008, 03:37 AM

2 posts, read 9,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
The top three common allergens in a dog's diet are corn, wheat and soy.

Moving on to stools; stools should be firm, not hard or soft. If it starts out firm and then goes soft toward the end of the BM then they are getting too much food.

I do know some breeds; Boxers, Bullies (English and American) have issues with Lamb. If you were in my retail I would suggest placing them on either Blackwood 5000 which is catfish and potato or Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal.

Make certain if you're giving them treat they are consistent with the diet; same brand and same blend.
CORN is not a common food allergen. Actually the top three should be beef, wheat, and soy. I read in a small animal clinical nutrition book and corn was stated at a false cause of allergies.
The reason why a lot of people believe that corn is such a bad ingredient is because of marketing. A lot of companies have stated on their bags that their food does not contain corn in it because a lot of people think it is bad. Trust me, it is all marketing. Do not let corn fool you. It is actually great to have in foods.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 AM

4,655 posts, read 15,751,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryly27 View Post
CORN is not a common food allergen. Actually the top three should be beef, wheat, and soy. I read in a small animal clinical nutrition book and corn was stated at a false cause of allergies.
The reason why a lot of people believe that corn is such a bad ingredient is because of marketing. A lot of companies have stated on their bags that their food does not contain corn in it because a lot of people think it is bad. Trust me, it is all marketing. Do not let corn fool you. It is actually great to have in foods.
If it's baked in a three step process, you're right, there's nothing wrong with it. However, I've witnessed dogs who exhibit allergic reactions when eating any super premium food with corn in it and they did not have beef in the foods.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:49 AM

279 posts, read 1,053,894 times
I pretty much go by what my vet has told us, Corn causes allergies, skin disorders, drys the fur out, and is used as the main ingrediant as a filler in pet food. Not to mention attracts fleas for some reason.

All I know is my dogs and cats have thrived and are healthy and happy on what they eat now and I just will stick to what works.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 14,101 times
Canned pumpkin is an amazing food additive. My dog loves it and his skin and coat a getting better!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,867 times
my boston terrier has had lot of testing done by the vet. Was puking up after every meal. Did test to see if he had a blockage, didnt..power dewormed him and changed his food to can. Has very loose stools since the change. Started to puke again tonight after i feed him...I think that it is a food alergy. He is strickly on the can food no treats or table food, at a loss as to what it might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or