Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 AM

157 posts, read 453,362 times

Advertisements

I have a lab who has a delicate digestive system. I have discovered the hard and messy way that he has explosive diarrhea if he eats rawhides or any form of natural bones. Nylabone seemed to work for awhile but he's grown bored of them and won't chew any more. I bought a greenie but he just ate it in about 10 minutes. Are greenies supposed to be eaten that fast or last a few days? Plus they are pretty expensive for any sort of daily use. Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 03:25 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,291 times
Default Cotton rope...for dental and fun!

The cotton rope toys you see available work wonders for multiple reasons. First, cotton is a natural fiber. Second, it good for their teeth, helps to keep them clean. Third, if a small amount is accidentally swallowed, they will poop it out, again it is a natural fiber. Fourth, they are fun to play with.

Since you have a lab, you will want to purchase a larger diameter rope toys. You wouldn't want anything below 5/8" diameter and the bigger the better. I make my own toys with 3/8" diameter cotton rope but I always double it because I have extreme chewers.

Your dog will chew through it because it is cotton. However, it is not too expensive so that's helpful.

The cotton used in making animal toys is 100% verigated cotton. It is used for dog, cats, birds and other animals toys. I know because I used to worked for one of the largest roped distributors in the U.S.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:33 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
My problem with rote toys is how it frays and they pull of chunks of rope that I am concerned about getting tangled up in their intestines......how do you avoid that??

Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Mine wolfs down greenies whole.

Rope toys are in shreds and forgotten about in under an hour. My dog's not big (beagle mix), but he is a monster chewer.

We have luck with Nylabones, but he's picky about them.

One like this, he'll chew until it's shaved down to a nub and I remove it (which, for him, takes about a month of consistent chewing...much longer than any other chew toys, which, besides black extreme Kongs, have an average lifespan of well under 24 hours):

This one, he likes, too:

Smooth Nylabones, or ones like this, he has no real interest in:

He seems to really mostly be interested in the ones that are labeled as tasting like bacon. I also have had some luck if, when he gets sick of a chew toy, I rotate another one in, and reintroduce the old one later to renewed interest, but if it's one he wasn't interested in from the get-go, it won't work.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
The EXTREME Kong work wonders for our Lab/Pit/Whatever power chewers. They like them with or without goodies inside.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
my hubby came home with a chew for our dogs and he said it was a bull penis! next time I went to the store I asked and owner said it is the best seller in the store. can't remember what it is called but it lasted a long time and nobody got sick. waste not - want not is always my motto!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:45 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
my hubby came home with a chew for our dogs and he said it was a bull penis! next time I went to the store I asked and owner said it is the best seller in the store. can't remember what it is called but it lasted a long time and nobody got sick. waste not - want not is always my motto!
Bully stick.

We use deer antler.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:00 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,291 times
Lightbulb Rope toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
My problem with rote toys is how it frays and they pull of chunks of rope that I am concerned about getting tangled up in their intestines......how do you avoid that??
I would suggest supervising the animal as they play with any toy...and with any toy, once it is no longer safe, throw it away and give them another toy.

I do this with rope toys, play tires, soccer balls, tennis balls any toys I give to my dogs, as soon as they have had their fun and have destroyed it, I throw it out and replace it with a safe toy and there is ALWAYS supervision.

Watching dogs and toys is the same as watching a toddler and toys. You have to keep and eye on them and make sure it is safe. After all, we are the adults...and they are in our care.

Also, with the verigated cotton rope, it is 100% cotton rope. It is not a cotton/polyester blend, therefore if a small amount (depends on the size of your dog) is swallowed, it can be digested and passed. Would I recommend it regularly, no. However, you can discuss this with your vet.

If my dog ate the entire rope toy I made him, we'd be off the the vet. If it began to frey and he ate a few pieces of the frey, he will be fine...but that is why I supervise him / them.

Edit: The only toys that survive my extreme chewers are Kong toys. I just like how the cotton cleans their teeth...and they LOVE to play tug-o-war with each other so the one's I make don't shred very easily. (I bought a box of rope, make my own...not store bought destroyed shortly after giving to them. I put knots and braids in it. Make 'me work for it, lol!!!)

I've heard great things about the bully stick, too!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 11-09-2011 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Where is the spell check button?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
Wish I could edit my post above...

I missed the part (*head smack* to me) where you were looking for a chew item that cleans teeth.
Kongs are great for power chewers, puppies, anxiety, etc....but do nothing, as far as cleaning teeth. My apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs