U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:11 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,146,804 times

Advertisements

So thoroughly convinced of the crate training..... Has kept our 15-week old Zeus in the crate at night.... He's 3/4 Lab and 1/4 Great Pyrenees, but has nothing but Lab in his character. Great dog, no problems whatsoever that you read of in books. Attached to master, friendly, easy to train, easy to learn things he's not supposed to do. (except, of course, exceptionally friendly to strangers!)

BUT he was whining in his crate regularly starting from 5:30 am. Whining and half-barking. He's a silent dog usually, barking is about 1/100th in a day. He's happy as long as he's close to you.

So much it was interfering with our life, that I had to remove myself + the dog and went into another house to sleep, to save my DH and the kids some ZZZZZ time in the morning. Personally, with one ear deaf I turn it up with the other on the pillow, and as good as don't hear anything.

Even so, the patience was wearing thin. I mean, like a clock, whining at 5:30am even though I want to give my kids another hour of snooze before school. I cannot get up like a machine, neither.

So, decided to try him at night NOT in the crate. And what do you think. He climbed up and curled at the foot of my bed, and my legs were warming him up. He was lonely and cold in the crate!! He didn't have any accident during that night, he doesn't have any during the day neither. Sooooo I am not convinced about the crate anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 03:19 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,254,693 times
All dogs aren't the same. Some are housetrained faster than others. Some love the crate, some few never adjust to it. You might not have gotten him trained to go through the night without using it up to now. It's still a good way to keep him and your things safe when you're out if he's a chewer as puppies often are. And if you ever need to go on vacation and leave him in a kennel, or leave him at the vet for neutering or other reasons, being used to the crate will be a help. Leave the crate out with the door open, as many dogs like to use it for a comforting resting spot during the day.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
You might not have gotten him trained to go through the night without using it up to now.
Not sure what this means, but he never soiled/soils the crate. He will hold until you get him out of the crate with no fail, it's just the whining that will go on from 5:30 till whenever you get him out. Whether it's 6:30 or 7:30 - he WILL hold but whine for the respective one or two hours.

But you are right in that he feels quite accustomed to the crate which will get handy when we need to leave him alone in the house.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 PM

819 posts, read 2,841,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Not sure what this means, but he never soiled/soils the crate. He will hold until you get him out of the crate with no fail, it's just the whining that will go on from 5:30 till whenever you get him out. Whether it's 6:30 or 7:30 - he WILL hold but whine for the respective one or two hours.
But you are right in that he feels quite accustomed to the crate which will get handy when we need to leave him alone in the house.

Maybe by 5:30 - he really has to go. You can only expect him to hold it for so long. You could have tried letting him out at 5:30 - then putting him back in after he did his business.

My Husky on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with the crate ever. She would go into it to see what it was, but the minute the door was shut-she freaked. I now just keep her in the kitchen, and she is so much better. No crying or anything when we get home.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:44 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,254,693 times
I didn't write that very well. What I mean is, if you hadn't been using the crate , he might not have learned to hold it all night yet. Most dogs don't like lying in/right next to pee and poop. So the crate probably did serve its purpose.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:46 PM

16,692 posts, read 26,786,951 times
Artie comes into my room at about 5.00 or 5.30 in the morning. (I'm already awake, so I don't care.) He doesn't have to pee -- he just wants company. I know this because when I let him out at that time, he just sits outside, enjoying the fresh air. I'm guessing that your dog is the same way -- he just wants his people.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Maybe by 5:30 - he really has to go. You can only expect him to hold it for so long. You could have tried letting him out at 5:30 - then putting him back in after he did his business.
Oh NO NO NO! Once he's let out, putting him in the crate is like trying to put a tornado in a bottle. The barking will be full strength: "OH! I can't believe the treachery!!". Once he's out, he wants breakfast and then morning play,

I think teaching him to our sleeping habits by having him at the foot of our bed will be better. I don't think he really needs to go at 5:30, it's just he thinks that's enough of sleeping for whatever reason. AND it happens whether you put him in the crate at 8pm or 11pm.

Last edited by nuala; 06-07-2012 at 04:01 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Artie comes into my room at about 5.00 or 5.30 in the morning. (I'm already awake, so I don't care.) He doesn't have to pee -- he just wants company. I know this because when I let him out at that time, he just sits outside, enjoying the fresh air. I'm guessing that your dog is the same way -- he just wants his people.
Yeshhhh! That's it.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:40 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,329,623 times
You have to be careful with crate training.
It sounds like your dog has to go to the bathroom but it also sounds like after he goes to the bathroom, rather than being immediately put back in the crate, at some point he was not then something fun happened.

You have to be consistent. If 5:30 is not the time you want to wake up then immediately after he pees or poos, put him back in the crate and ignore the barking. Don't allow him to smell the roses or hang out in the yard. It's back to beddybye.

But do take the whining/barking seriously when it first starts up because it's important that he learns where he's supposed to go. You don't want him to go in the crate. And if you ignore him long enough, he will.

Try not letting him drink a lot of water right before bed and also try letting him out for final potty right before you hit the hay.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:00 AM

12,448 posts, read 31,550,188 times
Crated at nite while your asleep can save your things from being distroyed! Crated dogs are not just for potty training! Its For House Training which covers other inside training like chewing & distroying you home! I hate to see Whoes boss in a yr from now! Also He NEEDS to learn to Stay in the crate as Laws are being passed that dogs must be crated in cars or tied. Now its 3 states soon to be ALL 50 States!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs