Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times

Advertisements

Why didnt you give the Breeder a deposit & pick the puppy up when you got back?? Makes no sences Buying a dog then draging him around when he hasnt had All his puppy shots Already confused on his new home! Cancell the trip & Stay home & take care of him! Your New Vacatrion Plans Train & Bond with your New Baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
Please study more about puppies, especially parvovirus. This puppy has not developed his immunities and you will be exposing him to diseases he can't fight off.

Most boarding establishments will not even accept dogs under 4 months of age for this reason (and if they do, be wary). And not to be snarky, but since you didn't know about the above, you may not be aware that leaving a dog in a car can be very dangerous. It can die in minutes from the heat.

Please read up and be aware of what you're dealing with now that you have this new and important responsibility for this pup.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

It's all very lovely to wish that the timing worked out better, but it didn't. So...

If you could postpone your trip until the puppy is old enough (read: vaccinated) to go with you AND if the locations that you're going are dog-friendly, then take him with you at that later date. As long as you're not going to be leaving him for extended periods of time, that is.

If you can't postpone your trip, and seeing as boarding places don't typically board such young pups, has your vet already said that they would board him? Would he be sequestered from the other dogs so that he wouldn't catch anything? (As didee said above, most boarding places won't board these young pups, so I hope that your vet has good plans for him.)

Old 06-11-2012, 10:50 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Hotels are out; if they're puppy friendly, then there will be scents everywhere telling the little one he/she SHOULD pee/poop in the room.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,270 times
Keep in mind that just because a hotel is dog friendly, puppies usually aren't hotel friendly!! My apartment flooded when my 2 lab pups were about 10-12 weeks old. I had the option to stay in a hotel and I did for one night. They did not do well in the new environment mainly because they were curious. They barked and cried constantly and that was when I was with them! I was afraid to leave them alone and they had crates! And, let's just say that we had an incident in the stairwell trying to get them outside in time to go to they bathroom!!

If you taking an RV trip I would consider it but I would be concerned with the temperature in the RV if you were gone sightseeing. I'd try to postpone if possible. 20 days is a long time for a new pup to be sequestered in a vet's office..if they even take him that young.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why didnt you give the Breeder a deposit & pick the puppy up when you got back?? Makes no sences Buying a dog then draging him around when he hasnt had All his puppy shots Already confused on his new home! Cancell the trip & Stay home & take care of him! Your New Vacatrion Plans Train & Bond with your New Baby!
I agree. This is what I did. I took my Englishbulldog puppy back to his breeder and paid the boarding fee. For me, it was a family emergency and I had no choice.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:40 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My puppy is that age and he has to pee every hour when he's awake. I think that could make for a really long road trip.

Could you find a friend to take him for the three weeks? It would have to be a good friend, puppies that age are a lot of work and need a patient person to train them.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:54 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Would find a very responsible person to dog sit who is home w/ no small kids and has knowledge of small puppies etc. I wouldnt leave the dog at the vet or a boarding facililty bc no one's there at nite and like someone else posted, I doubt they'd take one that young w/ no shots, your pup could get very sick being boarded. Maybe your vet has a vet tech who w/bwilling to board her on the side and could bring the pup to the office during the day and home at nite but again, the pup w/b exposed to all sorts of germs w/ sick dogs, not a good situation. Yrs ago we took our then 8 wk old puppy w/ us but we were gone a week and rented a house on the beach, it worked out fine but we were there (w/ them) almost all the time unless we did some quick errands (shopping or eating out), she had her own crate which she was used to (from traveling in and w/ the breeder), we did have to feed her more often (4-5x a day at that age if i remember correctly) and take her outside often though so she could relieve herself, it worked out fine but it was a lot of work, the breeder lived a distance away so she was out and I had no one else I was comfortable leaving her w/. Im not a big fan of taking them out on the road at rest stops b/c oftentimes they're dirty, poop not picked up, garbage on the ground, sometimes even glass, Im not a germaphobic but I sure dont want them walking in that and then later licking their feet, not good.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:59 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,296 times
Like others have mentioned, I would not take him until he is fully vaccinated.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:42 PM

146 posts, read 313,831 times
We bought him from a pet store, and he's going in for his shots this week. My husband is going on a business/training trip and we're all going with him. We will be driving to TN. The puppy is already bonded with all of us, and I don't have/want anyone else taking care of him while we're gone. He sleeps most of the day, the last two nights he slept almost through the whole night. He's also very good with the crate training and either uses the training pads or we take him outside. We still have two weeks till we leave. Thank you all for your responses, you all had really good points to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs