Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM

146 posts, read 313,643 times

Advertisements

Ok. You guys scared me to death. We will not take him with us. We arranged with a very good friend of ours to watch him at her house. She's a stay home mom, is very experienced with dogs, and we trust her completely. Her 11 year old terrier died last year, so she understood and agreed with my hesitation of boarding him at the vet's office. Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnice View Post
Ok. You guys scared me to death. We will not take him with us. We arranged with a very good friend of ours to watch him at her house. She's a stay home mom, is very experienced with dogs, and we trust her completely. Her 11 year old terrier died last year, so she understood and agreed with my hesitation of boarding him at the vet's office. Thanks for all your help.
Yay! Well done, OP. You will enjoy your trip a lot more now - without a lot of stress and worry.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
I do think this is the correct decision...just too young still. This way you know she will be healthy and ready to greet you when you return.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:14 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:
We got a puppy last week that's 2 months old, and he will be exactly 2.5 when we go on vacation. Out 20 day driving vacation was booked way before we found the right puppy, so we're wondering if we should take him with us or leave him at the vet's office where they also have a boarding facility. Thanks.
If the goal of a vacation to you is spending the bulk of it messing with your puppy, then by all means.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Bravo, it's the right thing to do if your vacation can't be postponed. Just tell your generous friend to remember that puppies are unpredictable--we were in a similar but less extreme situation with First Dog when she was some 14 weeks old and we'd only had her for a month. We had to go away for the weekend, and took her to a good friend's house. When we came back to pick up our sweet puppy, she had eaten our friend's carpet --I don't think she ever completely forgave us! Even if we offered to pay for the damages...

So have a good vacation, call/e-mail your friend frequently and get reports on your puppy's progress, and look forward to a great future together!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:58 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
This is a perfect solution. It's wonderful that you've got such a good friend who can take care of the little guy. You'll have a much better trip without the pup along, and he'll be somewhere safe, getting lots of attention and love, until you get back.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:15 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Sorry but you should cancel the trip and take the dog once he's a little older. Perhaps in the autumn.

Let's not sugar coat it... He's 10 weeks old.
For Sure!

This sounds terribly like impulse buying, which rarely works with a pet.

Two months old is far, far to young to sell or give away to begin with, and if it weighs all of 2 lbs, how will you even find it in the car?

Sorry to be so blunt but yes, the vacation should be postponed.

OK...sorry, I didn't read the entire thread before I posted.

It is also highly irresponsible to buy a puppy from a pet store.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Quote:
I am so glad you found someone to watch him. You will be more relaxed and enjoy your vacation knowing he's out of danger of picking up something. So glad you took some excellent advice. Enjoy your vacation, and enjoy coming home to a healthy puppy.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I know you already made your decision, but I did want to put in my two cents.

Years ago, we had a new puppy when we got an opportunity to travel with my husband for work - it was a car trip, two weeks long.

The kennel/vet wouldn't keep him without having the full register of shots, and he was too young for some of them, so we brought him along. What should've been an AWESOME trip, was not.

He was well behaved in the car and we made lots of stops for him, but it was inconvenient, to say the least. We were able to find 'pet sitters' when we got to Mt Rushmore, at the hotel, but it cut our time and enjoyment down at the site. We weren't able to 'eat out' because we couldn't leave him in the car, so we ended up eating all our meals on the road picnic style and/or in the van.

While we stayed with family for 4 days of the trip, it was easier, but not much.

I'm glad you found an alternate solution - we learned a valuable lesson, and I regret that we couldn't spend as much time exploring as we would've liked, had we left him home.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:16 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Good decision for all concerned. I'm glad OP has a good friend who can help the pup grow up a bit more on home turf!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs