U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 03:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 33,852,916 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been discussing getting Health Insurance for our Miniature Dachshund (6 1/2 years old) - he is in great health and he gets twice a year checkups.

Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with these types of policies? In your opinion, are they worth it?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 05:29 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,669,219 times
I haven't had personal experience, but I'm with a rescue group that works with Petfinder, who provides health insurance for a year on some animals...all we've heard is that inevitably it doesn't cover what you need.

Many people don't know that vet services are rapidly almost becoming managed care...there are huge corps buying up clinics and the vets are very restricted in what is considered profitable for the corporation. I'd say insurance would only make things trickier, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I haven't heard anything good about them, or not enough good to warrant the cost.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:09 PM

181 posts, read 980,063 times
Consumer reports did an article about it, like Sam said, a lot of times it doesn't cover what you need. Their conclusion was it would be better to put that money in a savings account for your dog's vet bills(money market would probably be better) That way if you need it fine, if not, you still have the money.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:01 PM
miu

15,762 posts, read 32,699,602 times
No. Pet health insurance policies are so NOT worth it. Don't think that you're going to get expensive health care for your pet for free or at some great discount. Nothing in life is free. Those policies are designed to make the companies writing them profit. But check out some health insurance policies and you do the math.

Since you have a miniature dachshund, you might be worried about future issues with his back. So read the fine print and make sure that back operations are covered. My boyfriend's sister just lost her dachshund to a back injury. Her dog was about the same age as yours is now. Money wasn't an issue. There just wasn't anything they could do for her medically. They put her to sleep because she was in so much pain.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,218,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
My wife and I have been discussing getting Health Insurance for our Miniature Dachshund (6 1/2 years old) - he is in great health and he gets twice a year checkups.

Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with these types of policies? In your opinion, are they worth it?

Thanks in advance
People always ask about this. There is no way you are going to come out ahead with pet health insurance. These companies are set up to make money. A much better idea is to pay yourself the premiums and put money away in a special emergency account for your beloved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or