U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:54 PM

212 posts, read 551,722 times

Advertisements

We have a shih tzu who is 5 years old, we are thinking about getting another shih tzu, but are wondering if our current baby might be too jealous. He doesn't get aggressive, but my husband and I can't hug or touch without our dog wanting in on the action, he will jump up or come over wanting to be petted etc. He is the same way if we hug or kiss or son etc. He doesn't ever bark , just always has to be part of the action. Since he has been our one and only since he was 8 weeks old, will he be overly jealous or upset if we bring in another shih tzu. Any one out there that has a shih tzu that is jealous, have you brought in another shih tzu and has your first baby been able to adapt without being too jealous? And is it better for us to try with a puppy , or a grown dog ? Any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 03:31 PM

29,986 posts, read 16,580,107 times
I don't know specifically about **** tzu's ~ but your dog is probably going to be jealous. He's been an only for 3 years and needs attention whenever you pay attention to your son.

That said - it doesn't mean you can't get a second dog if you really want one - but be prepared for some skirmishes - especially in the beginning.

How is your dog with other dogs? Is he better with other males or does he do better with females? Or does he not really like either one?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM

He is fine with other dogs for the most part he is nervous at first around larger dogs, but generally warms up to them. Most of the time he tries to go over to other dogs to say hello !

Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 AM

29,986 posts, read 16,580,107 times
Well that's a good sign. I guess you probably wouldn't be getting a dog larger than him anyway.

A lot of breeders will let you bring your dog to meet the new puppy; once they are old enough. You could try this as well and see how he reacts.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM

Thank you for the suggestions !

Old 06-21-2012, 03:57 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,943,236 times
I have three Shih Tzu's, one is 18, middle guy is 8 and the youngin is 1 yo. The old one doesn't care anymore, the other
two do via for attention, no fights, they play with each other but do not fight...when I am out they have a buddy to hang with. Works for me.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:09 PM

We were mainly thinking about it so that he has a play buddy when we are working or gone !

Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,291 times
Default Will retraining work

I have a jealous shih tzu she's one of three. Every time her sister comes to sit with me she kcks off. I don't want to get rid of her as I love all three dogs the same. I'm at wits end so will retaining her work or is it time to find her a new home. Any suggestions

Old 09-01-2012, 06:27 AM

4,130 posts, read 13,301,284 times
Would take them for walks a few times a day - they'll focus on other things and not each other so much - they dont have to be long walks - we had 4 small dogs, all close in age, and I think that helped (we also had a fenced-in yard) - they were unrelated but raised together, oldest to youngest were 3 yrs apart. Now we have 2 small dogs just a few months apart (got them at different times as adults), they're distantly related and were raised somewhat together but there were other dogs in the mix there too - they're good w/ each other (although one can be a little hoggy w/ food so we watch them closely and separate their bowls a few feet) - when we got the 2nd, the first (who we had a few months) wasnt overjoyed to see her, basically they sniffed and ignored each other but they will lay together now etc but I dont think they'd miss each other all that much (have been back together a couple of months now), I guess they like each other but at the same time could take or leave each other too. Thankfully no outward signs of jealousy (one is very food motivated, the other not so much so that probably helps). Anyway, am digressing, would try walking them together (we did walk the 4 tog. and it worked out fine alth. it was a bit of a different situation and the one would at times pounce on the other if a car or motorcycle went by fast, if they passed another dog, not all the time but occasionally and it sure wasnt relaxing for me, lol).

Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,581,507 times
Before you get another shih Tzu (or any dog) you need to become your current one's pack leader. right now the dog is basically calling the shots. while that isn't a problem currently (because he's a small dog) it could easily become a major problem when you add another dog to the mix.

By the way, you should never get a dog for a dog. Only get another dog is you and your husband truly want one and have the time and energy to train both dogs.

You might want to check these ebooks (as well as others such as training with markers):
http://leerburg.com/pdf/packstructure.pdf
http://leerburg.com/ebooks/puppygroundwork.pdf
http://leerburg.com/pdf/introducingdogs.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or