U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,515,288 times

Advertisements

If they travel or split their time between two locations a foster can be a nice short(er) term commitment that still allows them to go to Florida (or where ever) for the winter pet free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 AM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,182,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Most older people live in housing where they Cant hve pets. Or there are size & breed restrictions As well as exra costs of Pet deposits & extra rent! And Apts Wont allow Fostering!
Don't be such a downer! Most of your post is not factual at all. Many older people live in their own homes where pet deposits/extra rent isn't applicable. Some apartments will allow fostering even if they don't ordinarily accept pets.

There have been many, many great posts here. I work in Boston Terrier/French Bulldog rescue and the benefits of fostering and/or adopting older animals is a plus for both the dog and the adopter. I'm 61 myself and have four dogs of my own and a foster. My dogs are 9, 8, 7 and 3....my foster is almost 9. As long as I am able, I will always have a pet, either permanently or a foster.

I wish I had something to add to the OP's request...maybe tomorrow I can add more. We were at our mountain cabin all weekend..and yes, we take all 5 dogs with us...and it's late. Kudo's to the OP...it's a worthy cause to promote and I'm sure you'll do fine. I've been reading your posts here for several years.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 AM

13,342 posts, read 25,596,053 times
I adopt senior dogs, so I can have more than a couple at a time. My big concern is if I get hit by a truck on the way to work or something, so have set up systems that (I hope) will re-home and pay for my dogs if something happens to me. I would want the same plan if I were a senior person wanting a dog- would have to have a plan for its care/home if I became unable.
Last year I wanted another dog, and asked the adoption gal for someone younger than ten years, so the dog could play with my Dodger, who is a very lively 11-year-old BC/cattle dog mix. I ended up with a Brittany mix, blind, diabetic on insulin, who might be 12.
I also once adopted a 14-year-old cattle dog who was a sheer delight for the two years and two months I had him- sturdy in every way. I love the herders and their mixes, but would only get older or very old ones.
Maybe I identify with lonely old seniors...
Just had to go out of town for almost two weeks for family health thing and boarded all six at the vet's. Yow.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:55 AM

12,450 posts, read 31,562,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
Don't be such a downer! Most of your post is not factual at all. Many older people live in their own homes where pet deposits/extra rent isn't applicable. Some apartments will allow fostering even if they don't ordinarily accept pets.

There have been many, many great posts here. I work in Boston Terrier/French Bulldog rescue and the benefits of fostering and/or adopting older animals is a plus for both the dog and the adopter. I'm 61 myself and have four dogs of my own and a foster. My dogs are 9, 8, 7 and 3....my foster is almost 9. As long as I am able, I will always have a pet, either permanently or a foster.

I wish I had something to add to the OP's request...maybe tomorrow I can add more. We were at our mountain cabin all weekend..and yes, we take all 5 dogs with us...and it's late. Kudo's to the OP...it's a worthy cause to promote and I'm sure you'll do fine. I've been reading your posts here for several years.
Not a downer Facing FACTS! IF the group she going to talk to lives in Apts then these ARE the Facts! Even IF they own some towns also have Restrictions! My town Only allows 2 dogs! I Most home owners ins restrict Breeds now a days!

I Do like the idea of the Cats! Tho hopefully you [OP] Dont endup with crazy cat ladies LOL & Elderly Horders of animals is also very common. People dont seem to want to See there limits money or being able to really care for animals. Where 1 person might be able to handle 1-2 animals another might be able to handle 10!

How about an retired Groomer .... grooming the animals in the shelter, Or the retired vet giving old fashion care for the shelter animals. Their are ways to help without fostering or adopting!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 PM

3,187 posts, read 7,078,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Not a downer Facing FACTS! IF the group she going to talk to lives in Apts then these ARE the Facts! Even IF they own some towns also have Restrictions! My town Only allows 2 dogs! I Most home owners ins restrict Breeds now a days!

I Do like the idea of the Cats! Tho hopefully you [OP] Dont endup with crazy cat ladies LOL & Elderly Horders of animals is also very common. People dont seem to want to See there limits money or being able to really care for animals. Where 1 person might be able to handle 1-2 animals another might be able to handle 10!

How about an retired Groomer .... grooming the animals in the shelter, Or the retired vet giving old fashion care for the shelter animals. Their are ways to help without fostering or adopting!
But her question was about her giving a presentation to get more seniors to foster and adopt, not about other volunteer opportunities for them.

The FACTS you are so sure of may not apply to all parts of the county, they certainly are not applicable where I live now or have lived in the past.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:55 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,066,212 times
Our local dog park is a place for seniors to meet. They have their dogs play together. Then, once a week, they go out to dinner together (pick out a restaurant) while talking about their dogs and other stuff. Then there are all sorts of parties at their homes. I watch one of dogs for the senior who travels a lot so I join their party sometime. Three years ago, a 72 yr old lady showed up at our dog park with a GSD puppy, a gift from her son. When the dog was six month old, the lady was asking around to give her away since she could't walk her. All the seniors got organized. By taking turns, they meet her at dog park morning and evening and help her to walk the GSD (Bella). Bella is now three yr old and a very social GSD and she is still with her owner.

I guess the idea is that seniors and their dogs can be organized into play and social groups. This will help the dog training and the dog can be looked after while the owner is sick or out of town. This will also keep seniors connected. I guess this will motivate seniors to foster or adopt.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:19 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,936,631 times
I live in a small rural town and most of this group live in their own homes, a few rent but even assisted living here allow you to have a pet.

Thanks for all the good ideas

Old 06-18-2012, 08:03 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,490,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Dogs can bring vitality to their lives. Folks with arthritis can benefit from a nice slow walk with an older dog. A dog can help lower high blood pressure, calm anxiety and be a friend when you feel lonely. Taking care of a dog can bring about new social interactions with other dog people, possibly even be trained to visit senior centers or help with children who have difficulty reading. I think one issue with some seniors is that they want to be able to travel, maybe forming a dog sitter network with other seniors could be helpful.
another advantage for a person with arthritis would be with a hairless or short-haired dog that is very warm. They act like a heating pad when you snuggle.

But all the items mentioned are good reasons for seniors to adopt or rescue. Down in FL most of the people in the Dog Park are seniors, and the bulk of the dogs are rescues.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 AM

16,378 posts, read 10,364,355 times
Don't really have anything to add but would it be possible to take an available dog with you? Nothing proves a point like a well behaved older dog.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 AM

737 posts, read 2,251,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Don't really have anything to add but would it be possible to take an available dog with you? Nothing proves a point like a well behaved older dog.
Absolutely! Having those little guys and gals with you is a great motivator. The only real problem, which was addressed in previous posts is finding the right match. Most of the Florida seniors have difficulty rescuing small dogs (under 25 or 30 pounds in a lot a the restricted environments). I actually had to find one for a my elderly mother and where I live, which is a big Euth community due to people not spaying/neutering, I had no problem transporting one to her. She wanted an older dog under 25 lbs.

Anyway, I agree, bring some good dogs with you and be sure to have them sport a bandana. I know it sounds silly but when you "stage" a dog, it helps people connect a bit more in some way. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or