U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:35 PM

819 posts, read 2,837,903 times

Advertisements

The minute I let Arwen out to potty, here they come. Running up to the fence, sticking their hands over to pet her. She then wont go potty because she wants to now play.

I've asked them not to do this, but they dont listen. Then the one parent tells me how her kid just loves animals. Thats fine and all, but I dont care. My dog is not here for your entertainment.

How do you guys deal with this? Would i be liable if Arwen bit one of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,458,838 times
maybe once in a while let them interact with your dog? Yes, I do believe you would have a claim to make on your homeowners insurance if your dog bites someone on your property.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 PM

20 posts, read 35,193 times
I'm not sure how close you are to the parents but maybe having a chat with them about it would help. Children should be taught to respect the wishes of the owner and not to advance on other's pets without an adult present.

I actually called a lawyer once on behalf a friend who was oblivious to the fact that her dog was aggressive. She insisted that if a child reached over her fence and her dog bit them that it was the child's fault. Bear in mind this was free advice over the phone in Kansas but the attorney told me the parents could bring a suit against her. I don't know law nor do I pretend to but that's what I was told. *shrugs* I'm not sure if that is correct or not but I relayed the message to her anyways.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:40 PM

6,475 posts, read 9,926,451 times
Bypass the parents and speak to the kids directly, the next time they ambush the dog at the fence. Tell them they are NOT allowed to run up to your fence, but they are allowed to AFTER they ask you.

I find talking to the kids directly yields better results, as they see YOU as the enforcer and not their parents in this situation.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:58 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,802,386 times
1: YES if your dog bites someone (even in your own yard) you are libel for damages and it can be reported to your home owners insurance ect...in some areas even a single dog bite gets your dog label as "dangerous" and that can cause all kinds of issues.

in terms of what to do.
1 go out WITH your dog and the moment the kids come running over YELL at them...im not talking "get off my lawn you naughty kids" yelling i mean loud and clear STOP...you want to be vocal enough to cath chtier attention and stop them in their tracks. who cares if they think yoru crazy, you want their attention 100% on you!
tell the kids clearly they are NEVER EVER EVER to reach over or through your fence without you being there.
if your dog doesnt mind the attention you can tell the kids they can pet her ONLY if they ask first...
however also tell them "how would you like it if someone kept intterupting you when you wer in the bathroom?" because that IS what they are doing afterall.
2: tell their parents its great they want to say hello...but you cant have the kids running up to her all the time as it makes her nervous...also explain that if they aproach the wrong dog there going to get hurt and thats not fair to the kids OR the dog...

and if none of that works, a nice hedge infrotn of the fence or keeping her in the BACK yard when she has to be outside unsupervised...

Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,321,927 times
"Arwen, Leave it"

Gooood Arwen!

"Arwen, Go potty"

Gooood Arwen!

That happens here. I just tell the dogs to ignore the little buggers.
I don't like to be the old "get off my lawn" codger.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 AM

819 posts, read 2,837,903 times
Thanks for the advice all. I have asked them before, and even told them not to put their hands in the fence. The backyard actually reaches all the way up to the side of the house.

I can't wait to get my privacy fence

Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,061,868 times
Nicely ask their parents to sign a consent. Give them two choices to sign. Choice one: if the dog bite the kids when kids approach your dog without permission, it is their responsibility and they can't hold you and your dog liable for the damage. Choice two, they won't release you from liability but will ask their kids not to bother your dog. All you need is the documentation that you have taken the steps to prevent the dog bites. This may make these parents pay attention to what you are saying. If something happens when the dog is in your yard, you will have an upper hand in the legal aspect of the matter.

Personally, I do NOT like lawyers or this kind of thing. But what can you do...

Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM

9 posts, read 12,783 times
Default kids and dogs

i do not like the kids with dogs.i just tell the kids no.that works.so far mom and dad are ok with that.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:14 PM

11,160 posts, read 20,457,871 times
My neighbor has three big dogs in his back yard. When I take my puppy out to potty in my back yard at night, his dogs bark and growl through the privacy fence and my puppy forgets to go potty. I just call his name and remind him until he goes. Would something like that work with your dog?

About biting, if you think your dog will bite, then you need to get a fence that kids can't reach through (if you have chain link fence, maybe weave strips through it as a cheap way to block access) or you need to only take your dog out on leash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or