Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:00 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
Naala and Abby went at it like they were going to kill each other . I have absolutely no idea what triggered this and I'm really freaked out. They're buddies and were playing, even napping together all day just like normal. All three dogs ate dinner and they were all in the living room when the two girls just suddenly lunged at each other. Obviously, something happened that I can't recognize.
I seriously thought they were going to tear each other apart. When I couldn't get them separated, I ran and got a pot of cold water to throw on them because I couldn't think of anything else. They didn't even notice. I finally got between them enough to get one in another room and closed the door with my foot while I dragged the other one away. They were still growling and trying to get each other the whole time. They're both cut and bleeding and Abby is going to need stitches in her arm.
I have them separated now and they're calm, but I'm afraid to let them near each other. I don't want them picking up on my fear, but I am afraid of them fighting again, especially since I don't know what caused it. They play together, they sleep snuggled together. There has been no sign of anything wrong between the two of them, at least nothing that I picked up on.
I would love any advice.
The other thing I'm worried about is that my hand ended up in someone's mouth and got chomped pretty good. The dog did not intend to bite me, I was in the way when she lunged. I'm terrified that if I go to the doctor with a dog bite, they'll take my dogs. I couldn't handle that.
First, you should go to the doctor with your dog bite and not I don't think they will take your dogs. Dogs who grow up together can and do have fights for no apparent reason. They could be sleeping, have a dream and it could be a dream that sets them off. My dog, a Pit Bull, will dream and suddenly she is growling and her legs are jerking or she is twitching. I usually just call her name or touch her on her back and she stops.
Try putting one of them, or both on separate leashes and have them in the same room. See how they act when they are around each other. I am sure it is probably a one time thing if they have been together this long without having had an issue. If they behave ok on the leashes then I would try letting them be in the same room together without them.
You can also contact someone who works with dogs and behavior issues. Not sure what they are called but I am sure your local vet will know.
In the meantime while you are researching someone to help with this problem, go to the doctor. Just tell him that the dogs were playing and got involved in a little scrap that you tried to break up..no big deal. good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
1: get the bite seen to...you got bitten by "a dog" (because they cant treat you apropriatly without Knowing what got you) and leave it at that, if your dogs are up to date on their rabies vaccine make sure to mention that you KNOW the dog was UTD on rabies but your not interested inpersuing the matter further. you do not have to tell them whos dog it was ect...just that its a dog bite.
this way they can clean you up and give you apropriate antibiotics if nessicary, animals mouths are "DIRTY" (they are carniovres afterall and thier mouths contain some serious bacteria)

2: are these girls spayed? Female on Female dog agression is INCREDIBLY common (same sex agression in females is even more common than in males!) and this risk is increaed in dogs who are not spay/netuered...if they are not already get that done for BOTH girls, hormones wont help the situation.

3: sounds to me youve got a resoucre guarder, unfortunatly even the tiniest thing can become "high value" (i knew a dog who was a resource guarder of socks and lint!) i suggest starting to practice crating/seperation if you dont already, feed each dog on schedual sperated by a barrier preferably IN their crates. treats not being used for training purposes should also be "in crate only" (or in their own rooms) and NEVER EVER EVER leave them alone unsupervised. if you have to go out, seperate, having a shower, seperate, need ot go pee, seperate (even if that isimply means taking one dog into the bathroom with you...) YOU need to eb the one to step in here...dogs are instinctual and it syour job to take control of any and all situations so THEY dont have to.
resource guarders are uslaly NEVER cured, but thy can turn their attentions, a food guarder can grow out of the food issue and then suddenly start guarding toys or a blanket ect...so while i applaud you for getting a trainer involved, its never a 100% cure.

get a break stick...yes this is a tool made "comon" by dog fighters however its also a tool that EVERY multiple dog home (especially if you have larger breeds) should have...in cae of emergency a break stick is a valuable tool to help break up a fight WITHOUT putting your hands neer the pointy end of the dog.

same sex agression is often also dominance based...so go back to basics, you need ot take control of your home and the BEST way to do that is through basic simple training...i reccomend using the NILF (nothing in life is free) method...and spend just 5-10 mins each day with eac dog individually literally putting them through their paces...do an "as many tricks in 5 minutes" challenge, or simply walk around your garden working on leash maners or off leash heel ect...ANYTHING that reaffirms you are the one in charge of the situation, ad that they need to "work" for you.

Its so easy for us as owners to become "lazy"...well my dog is trained so i dont need to make him sit every time, or i dont need to do anymore training with him ect...but dogs CRAE mental stimulation and leadership...
there not stupid....thewhole "be dominant to your dog" movment, alpha rolling ect is ridiculous, they know were NOT dogs..., but they do crave that stability, that bond and that stimulation that paying attention to YOU and you becomming a strong leading figure gives them...
and mental stimulation is as if not more valuable than physical excersize in terms of ridding any excess energy...a TIRED dog is a happy dog.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
******* be trippin.

Males fight for show, females fight for keeps. I doubt that you're very likely to have any breakthroughs via internet forum in this instance, but I've seen dogs that have lived together in a peaceful equilibrium for years suddenly have a blood-soaked fight that was bad enough that I thought one of the dogs would have to go then recover their peaceful equilibrium and never have a problem again so long as they both lived. FWIW, if one of the dogs was stressed (for example, a soft tissue injury like a pulled muscle, myalgia from unusual exertion, a "hotspot" or other sore, etc. etc.) then their usual thresholds may be slightly lower and some sort of pestering or antagonism that is not normally a problem can suddenly be a very big problem. If the source of the stress dissapates, then the potential for a fight may as well.

On the other hand, this could just as easily be an ongoing problem. Be very cautious and very careful, be very fair and observe closely. Consider bringing in a pro if you can't get comfortable.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
get a break stick...yes this is a tool made "comon" by dog fighters however its also a tool that EVERY multiple dog home (especially if you have larger breeds) should have...in cae of emergency a break stick is a valuable tool to help break up a fight WITHOUT putting your hands neer the pointy end of the dog.
A break stick is a very good idea, although I would add that the legitimate use of a break stick and the reason for it's proliferation and perpetuation is more likely the handling of hunting catch dogs.

My response to a dog fight is usually to just kinda' wade in there and split it up (If I can I'll grab whoever looks more like the aggressor or the dog that is more likely to bite me by the scruff and yank him/her out of there - this has to be quick, like a stork snatching a fish out of the water, doesn't work very well with dogs bigger than laboradors and you have to be willing to get bitten to split up the fight; no half measures) but that isn't necessarily a good plan for most people (including me), particularly if you are timid about bites. Also, don't extend and splay your fingers when reaching into a dog fight; pronated claw hand with carpal bones towards the teeth.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Whoa!

I've got no advice; I just wanted to say how sorry I am that this is going on and that I hope that you get your hand seen to.

Please keep us posted -- I really want to hear some good news about this.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:30 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,473 times
Both girls are spayed.

Abby is acting aggressive if she even sees Naala. Abby has always been very,very submissive. She is in some pain from the injuries from the fight, so I'm going to assume that is exacerbating her bad attitude. She's being very good about leaving her bandaged arm alone and doesn't have to wear a cone. Although, maybe if I stuck cones on both of them, they couldn't bite each other . Both girls are just fine with Jack and with me. I just have to keep them away from each other for now.

I went to the doctor and have to go back tomorrow to find out if I have to have tendons repaired. There's too much swelling right now. My truck has a manual transmission and driving one-handed sucks. I never thought about how much downshifting and turning mountains roads require.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:40 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

same sex agression is often also dominance based...so go back to basics, you need ot take control of your home and the BEST way to do that is through basic simple training...i reccomend using the NILF (nothing in life is free) method...and spend just 5-10 mins each day with eac dog individually literally putting them through their paces...do an "as many tricks in 5 minutes" challenge, or simply walk around your garden working on leash maners or off leash heel ect...ANYTHING that reaffirms you are the one in charge of the situation, ad that they need to "work" for you.

Its so easy for us as owners to become "lazy"...well my dog is trained so i dont need to make him sit every time, or i dont need to do anymore training with him ect...but dogs CRAE mental stimulation and leadership...
there not stupid....thewhole "be dominant to your dog" movment, alpha rolling ect is ridiculous, they know were NOT dogs..., but they do crave that stability, that bond and that stimulation that paying attention to YOU and you becomming a strong leading figure gives them...
and mental stimulation is as if not more valuable than physical excersize in terms of ridding any excess energy...a TIRED dog is a happy dog.
I do the 5 min rapid tricks daily thing with each of them, but I wonder if my recent schedule has played a large role in upsetting the balance. I've had to travel a lot in the last three months and the dogs have gone back and forth to the kennel. We have a wonderful kennel, but I bet the girls are feeling stressed and confused. Plus, the walk schedule got thrown out the window. I've been thinking about looking for a new job, as the travel has increased too much with this one. Maybe it's time to get serious about making that change.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:43 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
I'm so sorry that this happened ~ I know how upsetting it is when there is not peace in your home.

I wish you had some idea of what set them off; but I understand that you don't.

What will set Ringo off is jealousy - he gets MAD if Lucy is getting a lot more attention than him. Which she often does - because she's small and docile and everyone wants to pet her.

I hope things calm down for you but I really don't have any advice other than keep them separated if they are still growling at each other!

Old 06-18-2012, 11:50 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
'All three dogs ate dinner" sounds like you humanized the mutts a bit to much and are surprised they behaved like animals- They are dogs. Take a look in a dogs mouth..then look at your own teeth- compare them. Dogs have a mouth that is used to rip flesh- to hunt and kill- to bite...

I suggest that you start to respect your dogs as dogs and not stress them out with gentle demands to be human- Dogs will be dogs ....and they will fight over territory - whether that territory be your affection or your ability to deliver them food. Next time a fight breaks out...show them you are the top dog and be tough...The most silly thing you can do is ask them or yourself why--------------they behave like dogs- control them- it's not cruel- If you don't control them they will control you- YOU ARE THE MASTER.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:52 AM

819 posts, read 3,208,145 times
Holy Heck -I hope it all works out with them. I have a Husky as well. She is almost 5 months old. And I have a 12 year old Siamese cat. Some days they love each other, and will sit and drink out of the same water bowl. Then Arwen will want to play with her, and chase her all over and Coco, the cat, wants nothing to do with it and they start fighting like MMA. It's nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs