Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
My Blizzard also has food aggression issues. Guarding her bowl, growling at anyone or anything that approaches her food, etc. I feed my two dogs in two separate bowls (they share the same water bowl), but when Blizzard growls at Buddy while he is eating his food from his bowl, he stops eating his food and starts eating Blizzard's food from Blizzard's bowl. He not only ignores her aggression, but seems to go out of his way to provoke her.

Buddy and Blizzard resolved their issues about 4 years ago, and there has not been another fight since, thankfully. Blizzard may not like it, but after me as the "pack leader," Buddy is next in charge.
That is good your dogs resolved their issues.
Yes, it is soooo important to be the pack leader! My dogs now know who is the boss and for this they are all living in harmony much better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
That is good your dogs resolved their issues.
Yes, it is soooo important to be the pack leader! My dogs now know who is the boss and for this they are all living in harmony much better!
Buddy is a Boerboel and out masses Blizzard (an Alaskan Husky) by two to one. Blizzard weighs in at 70 pounds, and Buddy weighs in at 150 pounds. Once Buddy reached maturity, there was not much Blizzard could do to intimidate him.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times
SAB's are nice dogs IMO great protector. One day I may own one.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:31 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
My Blizzard also has food aggression issues. Guarding her bowl, growling at anyone or anything that approaches her food, etc. I feed my two dogs in two separate bowls (they share the same water bowl), but when Blizzard growls at Buddy while he is eating his food from his bowl, he stops eating his food and starts eating Blizzard's food from Blizzard's bowl. He not only ignores her aggression, but seems to go out of his way to provoke her.

Buddy and Blizzard resolved their issues about 4 years ago, and there has not been another fight since, thankfully. Blizzard may not like it, but after me as the "pack leader," Buddy is next in charge.
Glitch, even though in your mind, they have resolved they're problems, please keep an open eye of watchfulness, b/c they could go at each other again, anytime. Maybe, maybe not, just a reminder...that they could....?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:06 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,728 times
No one should ever attempt to break up big dogs that are fighting, as you found out.
It is much better to just let them duke it out.
If you can you might try dropping a blanket over one of them.
I wonder if they would settle the problem themselves this way.

You should also feed them in separate rooms with door closed and pick up food bowls when they are finished.

I had a pair that got along OK until the younger one was spayed. The older one was already fixed & I had planned on breeding the younger one, but too much time had passed and it was her turn. It was less than 2 weeks when the older one became agressive and we permanently separated them. A kiddie gate acoss the hall kept the peace.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Glitch, even though in your mind, they have resolved they're problems, please keep an open eye of watchfulness, b/c they could go at each other again, anytime. Maybe, maybe not, just a reminder...that they could....?
Blizzard was always the instigator, and now she has to contend with a male more than twice her weight. Buddy will be six years old in September, and it has been almost five years since Blizzard attacked him, and lost. It is also very apparent that Buddy is not in the least bit intimidated by Blizzard when she growls at him. In fact, if Blizzard growls at Buddy while guarding her food, Buddy will stop eating from his bowl and start eating from Blizzard's bowl.

I feed them both the same kibble, and I have an "open bowl" policy. I keep both of their food bowls filled 24/7.

Blizzard still steals toys from Buddy, but Buddy has turned that into a game. Since Blizzard is so possessive, Buddy will let her take his toy without a struggle, then he will go get one of her favorite toys. This is something Blizzard will not tolerate! So she drops Buddy's toy and immediately goes after her favorite toy in Buddy's possession. Buddy lets her take her toy from him, then casually strolls over and gets the toy Blizzard dropped. Buddy may be a male, but he is no dummy.

Buddy is a very gentle dog, and loves everyone he encounters, including other dogs. Buddy is the dominate dog, not Blizzard.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
No one should ever attempt to break up big dogs that are fighting, as you found out.
It is much better to just let them duke it out.
If you can you might try dropping a blanket over one of them.
I wonder if they would settle the problem themselves this way.

You should also feed them in separate rooms with door closed and pick up food bowls when they are finished.

I had a pair that got along OK until the younger one was spayed. The older one was already fixed & I had planned on breeding the younger one, but too much time had passed and it was her turn. It was less than 2 weeks when the older one became agressive and we permanently separated them. A kiddie gate acoss the hall kept the peace.
I will not tolerate my dogs fighting. I will break up the fight, if I know about it. If necessary (and it has been on two occasions) I will grab the dog that started the fight by the scruff of their neck, pull them apart, and toss the instigator a good ten feet away from the other dog.

I am the master of my "pack," and if they do not listen to the verbal commands I give them, I will physically enforce my commands. I do not recommend this course of action for others, because most people cannot pick up and toss a 70 pound dog ten feet, but I can, and have.

That is the only time I am ever physical with my dogs, when they fight. If it is simply disobedience, and no violence involved, I put the offending dog in the bathroom and close the door for about 10 to 15 minutes (because dogs typically do not have an attention span that lasts beyond that time.). I also have to catch them in the act. Otherwise the offending dog has no idea why they are being punished. I never hit my dogs, ever. I find that brief isolation is the best form of punishment.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
SAB's are nice dogs IMO great protector. One day I may own one.
I like big dogs. The bigger the better, in my opinion.

I also prefer mastiffs because of the way they behave if they perceive a possible threat. Unlike most dogs that will bark and make a false charge, mastiffs will not bark and will insert themselves between the perceived threat and their master. That is precisely the kind of behavior I want in my dogs. I do not want my dogs harassing moose, bear, or any of the other wild critters in the area.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:04 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
not to comepltly derail but i DEMAND Boerboel pictures...no requesting...DEMANDING...i LOVE boerboel!

Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
not to comepltly derail but i DEMAND Boerboel pictures...no requesting...DEMANDING...i LOVE boerboel!
Never heard of them. I'd be intersted in seeing what one looks like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs